TV's - will they or won't they?????

juderay

We have been following various threads about whether a UK tv will work in Oz and the general concensus seemed to be yes although might need to buy a digibox once out there. However on another site (got to via a link by another contributor on this site) we read the following information - "Televisions and video recorders made for the UK will not work in Australia, because the frequency of the sound signal differs between the two countries - you might be able to tune into a TV station and see a picture, but you won't be able to hear the sound." Please can someone advise us exactly what is the correct information about this as we are contemplating buying a plasma screen here in the next few weeks to take with us in 12 mths time - they are far cheaper here than in Oz. Feeling very confused - and that is just about tvs let alone the whole process!! :unsure:

Guest KP Nuts

Dont get a plasma buy an LCD an make sure it's HD ready digital, you can shop around an get an LCD same size better quality pic for just a few quid extra.

As for if it will work go into a decent retailer tell them what you are going to be doing/going, dont ask a kid ask someone who is older an if they still cant help, research the model your after on the maker's web site to see if it will work in OZ.

Sorry cant be more specific, think it has something to do with PAL, but obviously dont get/buy it until your sure an would'nt bother with the extended warranty as i dont think they would drive from UK to OZ to fix it.

MR KP Nut

Over a 120 countries use PAL for television reception.....

The 5 common PAL types are B, G, D, H or I

Australia uses PAL B/G

The UK uses PAL I

Modern TV's (plasmas and LCD's) are mostly manufactured in the Far East and have tuners which can be set to the different PAL standards. Therefore, all you need to check is that on the TV set up you can switch from PAL I to PAL B/G.

Obviously this is for analogue transmission which most countries are phasing out in favour of digital transmission. Australia is still debating the standard for digital transmission, therefore you might not be able to use a built in digital tuner.

Would suggest that you buy an LCD with the ability to tune all PAL standards (which should be standard), but do not get a built in digital tuner. Buy the box separate (25 quid) for the time being. Take that to OZ just in case they change to the UK standard on digital transmission. If not buy the digibox in OZ and plug into LCD set bought here.

I would be surprised if the issue of the Analogue Tuner is that important. Analogue gives poor picture in comparrison to Digital and of course on a plasma or LCD the effect of poor reception is amplified. The important thing is to get a TV that has SCARTS a plenty, for digiboxs and VCR's DVD players etc. Then it will work anywhere in the world regardless.

min x:wubclub:

Guest andylane
We have been following various threads about whether a UK tv will work in Oz and the general concensus seemed to be yes although might need to buy a digibox once out there. However on another site (got to via a link by another contributor on this site) we read the following information - "Televisions and video recorders made for the UK will not work in Australia, because the frequency of the sound signal differs between the two countries - you might be able to tune into a TV station and see a picture, but you won't be able to hear the sound." Please can someone advise us exactly what is the correct information about this as we are contemplating buying a plasma screen here in the next few weeks to take with us in 12 mths time - they are far cheaper here than in Oz. Feeling very confused - and that is just about tvs let alone the whole process!! :unsure:

You are quite correct about the frequency of the sound.I Recently had a TV repair man at my home reparing my 52"" rear projection and i mentioned i`m off to OZ and would like to take my tv with me. He said exactly the same thing about the differing frequency of the sound from over here compared to Oz. So research the model and ask the question at the manufacturers.

minmx above post is spot on follow her recommendation and you wont go wrong. I myself is looking to buya LCD 52" tv to take over with me but a lot of research is needed first before i consider to buy.

hope that helps

:yes:

Over a 120 countries use PAL for television reception.....

The 5 common PAL types are B, G, D, H or I

Australia uses PAL B/G

The UK uses PAL I

Modern TV's (plasmas and LCD's) are mostly manufactured in the Far East and have tuners which can be set to the different PAL standards. Therefore, all you need to check is that on the TV set up you can switch from PAL I to PAL B/G.

Obviously this is for analogue transmission which most countries are phasing out in favour of digital transmission. Australia is still debating the standard for digital transmission, therefore you might not be able to use a built in digital tuner.

Would suggest that you buy an LCD with the ability to tune all PAL standards (which should be standard), but do not get a built in digital tuner. Buy the box separate (25 quid) for the time being. Take that to OZ just in case they change to the UK standard on digital transmission. If not buy the digibox in OZ and plug into LCD set bought here.

I would be surprised if the issue of the Analogue Tuner is that important. Analogue gives poor picture in comparrison to Digital and of course on a plasma or LCD the effect of poor reception is amplified. The important thing is to get a TV that has SCARTS a plenty, for digiboxs and VCR's DVD players etc. Then it will work anywhere in the world regardless.

Thank You Min:

Very helpful for all those contemplating bringing out their tv's - however, don't forget folks, if it's less than 1yr old when you get Ozzie-Side, Aussie Customs will want their cut! Also, do TV's, especially large, plasma types, travel that well? And are they really that xpensive in Oz compared to here?

Also, I'm really sorry that you continue to await your PC for Qatar - is there any news on that fiasco?

Good luck & Keep optimistic, we're all routing for you,

Cheers,

Herbster X

(Smiling tru' the raindrops...)

Thank You Min:

Very helpful for all those contemplating bringing out their tv's - however, don't forget folks, if it's less than 1yr old when you get Ozzie-Side, Aussie Customs will want their cut! Also, do TV's, especially large, plasma types, travel that well? And are they really that xpensive in Oz compared to here?

Cheers,

Herbster X

Hi Herbster, I keep hearing this one year rule mentioned, can you tell me what goods it covers and how to avoid it......I could do without even more fees!!:shocked:

cheers PAT

Guest andylane

Hi Herbster, I keep hearing this one year rule mentioned, can you tell me what goods it covers and how to avoid it......I could do without even more fees!!:shocked:

Hi there

Whats this about a one year rule!!! :unsure: I am about to buy a LCD tv here :wideeyed:(found out that samsung actually do all pal signals.[ menu-sound-country-options-other ], or Just buy a digibox over there if your sound dosnt work.

But that would put me only into 9 months of garrantee. Do there customs really want money because your still covered on your TV from the uk!

Just to mention that Plasms do not travel but LCDs do - just package it up really well and you should be ok!

great to know that our tv will travel with us. We are discussing whether microwaves and fridge freezers are worth taking with us to us. We have just started the process so have at least 18 months to go. My micro wave is ancient and my freezer has jsut bust. I want to replace them now and take them with us but my OH wants to save money and make do and buy something when we finally get there. He says they won't travel well and probably won't work down there anyway. Is he just being pig headed or can i go shopping!!!!:mask:

Guest andylane
great to know that our tv will travel with us. We are discussing whether microwaves and fridge freezers are worth taking with us to us. We have just started the process so have at least 18 months to go. My micro wave is ancient and my freezer has jsut bust. I want to replace them now and take them with us but my OH wants to save money and make do and buy something when we finally get there. He says they won't travel well and probably won't work down there anyway. Is he just being pig headed or can i go shopping!!!!:mask:

Hi everything will travel thats electrical as there electricity supply is the same as ours all you have to do is cut of our three pin plug and put on there two pin and bobs yur uncle. Its just TVs thats got a different Pal signal than ours.

Hope that helps

Sorry For Not Getting Back to You All - We've been on a hair-raising trip to South Shields! That's what happens when the sun shines!:wacko:

Check out this link, which hopefully will explain all regarding the 12 Month Rule!

MOVE MANAGEMENT AUSTRALIA - Customs

Cheers,

Herbster

X

(Fur more than slightly ruffled, although it didn't rain today & surely that must be reason enough to celebrate!!)

:spinny:

Thank You Min:

Also, I'm really sorry that you continue to await your PC for Qatar - is there any news on that fiasco?

Good luck & Keep optimistic, we're all routing for you,

Cheers,

Herbster X

Thanks herbster for your kind thoughts.... we still have nothing to report regarding the qatar police checks..... on a bit of a downer really as we are really helpless and just have to wait.... told our co about it all in an email 2 weeks ago... explained what we had done to try and get the checks and backed it up with proof etc but she has not got back to us.... last time she replied straight away with another deadline date.... but as yet nothing... our agent has put it down to them being so busy going on courses to learn about the new visas as they have said it has gone quite 'on a whole'.... so we sit twiddling our thumbs hoping that each day might bring news of some kind!

oh and i would say LCD's will travel better than plasma sets....

glad the day trip was an enjoyable one!

Guest chris&dave

G'day >> We've been following these too. Today I emailed Panasonic to see if our TV with built in digital tuner would work. Their answer ( which came within hours) was that audio signal would not work but that " it could be converted and to check Internet for people to do this" as Panasonic would not. So if you know what you want, why not email the manufacturer and ask. ( Probably not worth asking the man in Curry's unless he's from Wagga wagga)!

We will not go plasmic until Oz to ensure there are no warranty/compatability hassles.

Happy viewing

D

• 1 year later...
Guest Boomerang Skippy

Okay - so I get it now

Please let me know if I am wrong

My Flatscreen (Fat arsed) Telly (digital and analogue) will work in Aust. but the sound will be no good - unless I can convert to the different PAL ( German one etc)

Then the digital part won't work unless the Aussies adopt the British version of digital technology (jury stil out on this one!)

But if I get an Aussie Digi box it will play thru it fine.(as will playstations and DVD players)

But also some people taking British did boxes - just in case the Aussies adopt that system - I suppose worth it if you have a small digi box - as not worth trying to sell it.

So the question remains how much "to ship" a fat 32 inch Panasonic QuinTrix TV that works fine here but no body will buy as they all want flat flat screens or Plasmas

and then if it is less "to ship" than replace in Aust may be worth it

Any ideas?? - currently only sending 8 boxes and a bike box (with baby's cot and high chair - not a bike) - so could blow the budget.

Any advice greatly received

- :arghh: Skippy

Guest Boomerang Skippy

Neil any advice - even if it just "smash the telly" before you leave let me know

( I am considering taking a hammer to my beatiful telly as nobody seems to want fat arsed flat screen tellys anymore)

- Thanks Skippy

The answer is simple it will only work in a fashion the picture will be upside down due too the different technologies involved.Rumour has it that australia are not going to adapt digital at all and are going with a new wavelength technology known plaseria high definition which can carry 1000 times as much infomation as digital and this would be up and running in 3 years imagine your hd tv but four times as much detail again thats a bigger jump than normal analoge tv to hd the quality is meant to be emense.

do a search on Plaseria Technology for more info.

Hope This Helps

Guest Robert

The Absolute answer should very easy to check. Go into your TV set up, and see what country options your TV has.

My Phillips TV is currently set to the French Sound & video standard setting, and it works perfectly in Brisbane.

The UK setting did NOT work when i tried it, and it does NOT have an Australian setting even though I bought the TV in Australia.

Here is an official line on country settings:

There are some differences, even on the PAL system, for example:

Australia uses System B : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Zweiton B/G

United Kingdom uses System I : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Nicam I

Note: Germany uses System B & G : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Zweiton B/G, so is very similar to Australia.

If your TV can be changed to suit other European Countries then it may work perfectly well in Australia.

Guest Boomerang Skippy

Good News - I sold the bloody thing!! Hooray see you guys on the other side.

For record - if I can fit it in I am still taking the other digi box we have - just in case it works over there...

If ift fits in the moving box that is

-- Skippy

Archived