Horse meat

Guest aussie06

In July a butcher in Perth, Western Australia, was granted a licence to sell horsemeat for local human consumption - the first time in Australia. Until now it has only been allowed for use as petmeat or for export to other countries. So, unless you move to Perth, you won't be able to buy it.

Guest aussie06

ok Thanks for your answers; so either I make a 12 hours trip on sunday morning to have the meat for lunch time; or (the solution I guess I am for) I will taste the local exotic meat instead

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello,

Is horse meat allowed and sell in Australia? can we find it in supermarket or in the local butchers easily?

Thanks

Hi Aussie06

I've not seen horse meat for sale in Perth, WA. However I lived in France for a couple of years and you could certainly get horse meat in the supermarkets there.

I didn't buy any because I was not sure how to cook it - I am a bit of a coward about that. I left beautiful-looking fish in the poissoneries in France purely because I had no idea how to cook it. My "French" is very broken Franglais and I am certain that a French poissonier and I would not have understood one another about how to cook the fish on his slab. I think the local poissonniers (in Cherbourg) probably thought I was a bit barmy because I used to go and look round their shops for the sheer beauty of the displays but I only ever bought something totally unimaginative like moules because I know what to do with those!

I think kangaroo meat is said to be pretty similar to horse meat but I have never tried kangaroo meat either.

Cheers

Gill

Guest aussie06
Hi Aussie06

I've not seen horse meat for sale in Perth, WA. However I lived in France for a couple of years and you could certainly get horse meat in the supermarkets there.

I didn't buy any because I was not sure how to cook it - I am a bit of a coward about that. I left beautiful-looking fish in the poissoneries in France purely because I had no idea how to cook it. My "French" is very broken Franglais and I am certain that a French poissonier and I would not have understood one another about how to cook the fish on his slab. I think the local poissonniers (in Cherbourg) probably thought I was a bit barmy because I used to go and look round their shops for the sheer beauty of the displays but I only ever bought something totally unimaginative like moules because I know what to do with those!

I think kangaroo meat is said to be pretty similar to horse meat but I have never tried kangaroo meat either.

Cheers

Gill

forhorsemeat, as it is a strong taste meat, I do not like to cook it heated but only in Tartar (rare with garlic herbs and salt) with buttered brad and salad...

you are right, we can find it in supermarkets in France , it is really good quality as it is specially bred for it.

for fishes... there are many ways to cook them (usually panned, or steamed)

Archived