uk debit cards

Guest mu000250

Guest mu000250

Hi ALL.

I have a halifax visa debit card, when i come over in august to visit will i be able to use my card.

Jacky & Andy :jiggy:

Guest The Picketts

Hi Jacky & Andy - I always used to use my Nat West Switch debit card when in Oz - if the Halifax Visa debit card is the same as any bank visa debit card or mastercard (maestro) it should be ok. Any hole in the wall that has the visa/maestro sign should give you your cash. The best one to get is the Nationwide Flex a/c debit card - no charges for withdrawing cash at all and the currency rates are better than tourist rate. Otherwise charges are usually about 2.75% + handling fee (about 1.5%) for most other banks/bdg societies.

Hope this helps - Cheryl (The Picketts)

We still use our Abbey debit card*.

We let them know, then use our pin number. The only thing we've found is that we use it as a credit transaction. On the EFTPOS machine-thing (I know all the technical words!) we are offered a choice of ' cheque, savings and credit' and we have to put it through as 'credit'. Don't know why though. Don't care either, as long as we get our money!

*We kept the account so that birthdays were cheaper and easier for those kind enough to send the kids money. And vice versa of course!

LC

Guest brucestobrisbane

Hi Jacky & Andy, I would say you will have no problem. I have just opened a Halifax account for my ex to pay maintenance into because they have said that I CAN use the card at machines over there. He can pay in here and I can get it (to bring my son home to see him) over there.

Cheers

Nicky.x

Guest OldiesRUs

We let them know, then use our pin number. The only thing we've found is that we use it as a credit transaction. On the EFTPOS machine-thing (I know all the technical words!) we are offered a choice of ' cheque, savings and credit' and we have to put it through as 'credit'. Don't know why though. Don't care either, as long as we get our money!

LC

I only ever use my debit card when I go to Aus, never bother with travellers cheques.

LC - surprised that you use the 'credit' option on the ATMs. I always use 'savings' when taking money out on my debit card - isn't their 'Savings' accounts the same as our current account?

Jean:wubclub:

Hi ALL.

I have a halifax visa debit card, when i come over in august to visit will i be able to use my card.

Jacky & Andy :jiggy:

We too have used our Halifax and other assorted debit cards when in Oz. Just beware the handling charges each time you use it and also let the bank know before you go, they will put a note on the account so that you shouldnt run the risk of any transaction being refused because they think its being used fraudulently.

Lyn x

*We kept the account so that birthdays were cheaper and easier for those kind enough to send the kids money. And vice versa of course!

LC

15_9_27.gifthe credit option for your card here in oz is basiclly the same as debit but its just goes out a few days later and so you have to have the money in the bank, cheque & savings mean that they go out straight away. I have been shoppping in Coles tonight and went oline to check my bank account and its shwoing already online what i spent today in the last hour.

We have two aussies accounts ANZ which is savings and Westpac which i have options of savings / credit & cheque - so if i need it to go out in a few days i say credit if not cheque which is the main part of the account or savings which is the other part of the account (i did have to have the savings part linked to my card so it could be used as its not automatic)

Hope this makes some sense

Gizmo

Not sure why they use the word credit as eveyone gets mixed up with credit card which is different when using a credit card

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZN

Jean - I don't know! Well, I know my savings account here is the same as my debit account with Abbey was/is..but when I tried to take money out/pay for something I found the machine wouldn't accept it. But it does when I hit the button for credit.:huh:

Giz - I will defer to your experience..unless that smilie isn't really you :goofy:. However, I have a Mastercard, which I have to use the credit option for as it is a credit card and although they have the authority to charge my M/card account, I only pay it off at the end of the month. (I'm offsetting the mortgage/broke depending!) We also have a savings account and bizarrely, as they seem the same to me, a cheque account as well. I have to use the appropriate button for whichever I'm debiting and the money is taken out immediately. (Grr!)

So, that's just my experience. I don't know....I'm just a Silly Cow after all..

:wubclub:

Guest Taz01

I find it quite funny that loads of places in the UK won't accept a visa electron card, but it is accepted everywhere in Australia under "credit"!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Australian Property

Hi Jacky & Andy

The Visa debit should be fine and you might find it will only work a s a credit' card type withdrawal.

Also inform the Halifax you are going overseas OR they might block the use after the first day a s a protection measure.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I was with the Halifax in the UK (visa debit). Went in to ask about using my card over here and they said that you can use them in any atm although they weren't sure how expensive the handling charge would be.

So yes, it shouldn't be a prob at all.

Yeah, the EFTPOS network doesn't accept branded Visa and MasterCard debit cards at the moment. Although I think that it will be changing sometime soon. The whole system is antiquated and should have been updated years ago. So all you can do until you get your ozzie transaction cards is to use the credit facility or cash...

Archived