Guest LBS1705

Hi everyone,

Isn't it great to know you're not alone in this long and difficult process!!

I am an Aussie currently going through the laborious process of putting together my application to join my British husband in the UK.

Just some background on me. We were married in the UK in 2006 at which time I was granted the ILR visa on the basis of our marriage. Applied in the UK - granted very quickly.Easy.

I came back to live in Aus (family stuff) in April 2008 - he stayed because his job was earning us lots of money. My ILR visa expired Sept 2008. We have been living apart ever since, just die to complicated circumstances, apart from the last 6 months which we spent together travelling in Latin America. In addition to this, during our time apart, I visited him in London twice and me in Australia twice.

So while our case is not straight forward, I feel we can prove beyond any doubt that our relationship has continued during this time.

Now I am ready to move back to the UK and I have decided not to use an agent.

I have trawled through the forums but cant seem to find the answer to this question. I am hoping someone here can help me out.

According to the UK in Australia website, "A registered marriage certificate is one issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages. The certificate received on the day of the ceremony is not the registered certificate."

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? do I need to apply for a 'registered" certificate from the GRO office? I currently only have the UK marriage certificate that I received at our ceremony in London - AND which I used to get my last UK marriage visa. What's the deal? Is this not good enough now?

I also have another quick qu... My husband is going to get his PASSPORT COPY notarised (since everyone here insists that it is a MUST as opposed to just being certified), but he has been asked:

1. Do you need a FCO apostille attached to your document?
  2. Do you need consular legalisation?

(If the answer is yes to either of those questions, then notarising is even more pricey...)

Why does Australia have different requirements to what is listed on the UKvisas website?? For example, I am sure the UK site says you can send in certified copied of certificates whereas UK in Australia states they must be originals. Which do you go by?

Thank you so much everyone!!

LBS

Hi LBS,

Not sure about those two points you mentioned with regards the notarised passport copy. My husband litterally just went to our local solicitor who is also a notary public, who copied each page of his passport and bound them so that no pages could be removed with a letter attached to the front saying that this was a copy of my husbands passport. I don't have it with me so I can't check to see exactly what is said. It may be an idea to ring the $11 line and ask. I believe they are happy to answer generic questions if not those directly related to an application.

It may also be worth posting your question on the other spouse visa thread on this forum, as someone there may be able to give you more of an answer as there has been much discussion about the notarised passport copies.

Best of Luck!

Hi there,

Re your first question about the marriage certificate - the one you have is fine. It is all that's available to you in the UK (I rang the London registry office where we married to check - they have a copy, we have a copy, and the original is sent to the registry of B,D,M and is never given out, apparently). I then rang the Aust UKBA hotline and told them this, and they said that's fine, just write a note about it. The advice you've quoted above is for people married in Australia, where you are often given an ornamental certificate (eg, to frame) on the day, which doesn't carry any legal weight.

We just got a notary public listed on the UK directory to notarise the name page of the passport, and it only cost ten pounds. Not sure about the rest...

best of luck

kate

Thanks guys. Very helpful!

We've been quoted 80GPB to get the passport notarised so since you go *** for 10, Im going to try and get it cheaper!

Thanks guys. Very helpful!

We've been quoted 80GPB to get the passport notarised so since you go *** for 10, Im going to try and get it cheaper!

Ours was done in the country, you won't find it that cheap in London, but it's definitely worth shopping around!

cheers

Archived