Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'uk visa'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 8 results

  1. Warman_sarahlf

    Uk unmarried visa confirmation email

    Hello everyone! (Applying for uk unmarried partner visa from Melbourne) so my OH had his biometrics appointment on the 6th July and sent the supporting documents to my brother in the uk so he could then post them on to Sheffield. After a big drama they were delivered to Sheffield on the 18th July. However he hasn't received any email confirmation regarding his visa. He did get an SMS after his biometrics saying that his visa had been forwarded on but it's now 24th July and he's had no contact from the immigration people. Has anyone who's gone through this process, received any confirmation emails about the supporting documents being delivered or anything regarding the visa? My OH is starting to get a bit worried now as our intended travel day is the 20th October so we might be pushing it for time! Any reassurance, advice or experience would be much appreciated! Thank you ?
  2. The Pom Queen

    Ancestry Visa for UK

    This gives Australian citizens an additional method of acquiring a UK visa if they have a grandparent from the UK and meet all the correct critera. This method of entry is known as an Ancestry Visa. What is an Ancestry Visa? An Ancestry Visa is specifically for citizens from a Commonwealth country who have a grandparent who was born in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. In other words, you have close ancestral ties with the UK. How do I assess if I’m eligible? In order to apply for an Ancestry Visa it’s necessary to fit along with the following criteria: You are a Commonwealth country citizen (Australia became a member the Commonwealth in 1931 and was a founding member). You can prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) You are not currently in the UK You are able to work and are planning to work or study You are over 17 years of age You have sufficient funds to support yourself and any dependants In addition, you might also be eligible if either of the following apply: You have a grandparent who was born in the Republic of Ireland before 31 March, 1922. You have a grandparent who was born on a British registered ship or aircraft. In addition, you can apply for an Ancestry Visa in the following circumstances: If either you or a relevant parent were adopted and all/any the above circumstances apply You were born either in or outside marriage in the UK You cannot apply through step-parents. The Ancestry Visa gives you the right to live and work in the UK for five years. It can then be extended for a further five years. Once you’ve lived in the UK for five years on such a visa, you can then apply for permanent residency as long as you’ve not spent more than 90 consecutive days out of the country. Once permanent residence is approved, and you’ve lived in the UK for a further 12 months, you can apply for UK citizenship. How do I apply? Applying for an Ancestry Visa is quite a simple procedure once you have all the necessary documents in place. However, there are many companies that offer a visa application service (albeit for a fee), if you feel you’d like help in the process. Applying through such a service doesn’t give you any preferential treatment over those who apply in person. To apply you’ll need the following documents: A current passport or valid travel document A blank page in your passport on which the visa will be issued A passport sized colour photograph Bank statements that prove you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents A full birth certificate A marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate if your partner wants to join you Full birth certificates of your parent and grandparent on who your ancestry claim depends Marriage certificates for your parents and grandparents (or legal adoption papers if either you, your parent or grandparent were adopted) This is not an exhaustive list, and depending on your personal circumstances you may be asked to provide further documentation. Applications can only be made online through the official UK Government website. You have to be outside of the UK at the time the application is made. In addition, it’s necessary to have your biometric information (photograph and fingerprints) taken at a visa application centre in Australia. What about my family? Direct family members (dependents) will also be eligible to come to the UK with you on an Ancestry Visa. These are: Your partner Your child (or children) aged under 18 A child over the age of 18 if they are currently in the UK as a dependent They will each have to apply online, and have their biometric information taken at a visa application centre. How much will it cost? The cost of a UK Ancestry Visa is currently £324 UK Sterling. There may also be additional costs if it’s deemed necessary for you to pay a healthcare surcharge. There may be additional fees for the biometric information to be processed. If you decide to use an immigration service to help you apply for your visa you will have to pay the relevant fees that the company charges. How long will it take for my visa to be processed? You can apply for your visa up to three months before your intended date of travel. In general, you receive an answer on your application within three weeks. However, this can vary during busy times. It’s possible to check the current processing times on the UK Government website. What happens when my visa is approved? Once your visa is proudly displayed in your passport, you’re free to do the following: Work in the UK, both in an employed and self-employed status (subject to paying the various taxes and contributions that all UK citizens are obliged to do) Live in the UK Study in the UK Bring family members with you Enter, leave and re-enter the UK as much as you wish Because of the close ties between many Australians and the UK, the Ancestry Visa may well be the easiest entry to the UK for you. And you have the added advantage of the process being simple to follow, fast and economical. In addition to it being a popular entry process for Aussies, it’s also commonly used by those from New Zealand, South Africa and Canadians, many of whom have close ancestry ties to the UK.
  3. Hi Guys, I'm shortly going to be moving back to the UK, and am hoping to bring my Aussie partner with me. We've hit a snag with his UK visa requirements and really need the help of a good honest migration agent (happy to pay, but don't want to be taken for a ride!). Looking for someone who is based in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Aus for that matter, purely for ease of communication. Any recommendations please share! Cheers
  4. Hello I have been in Australia for almost two years on my WHV. I met my Australian partner here, we are now engaged and life is good. The only problem is that he had an ex girlfriend from Brazil and they had a partner visa together, which means we can't apply for a new partner visa until 5 years after he applied for the one with her (there are nearly two years left). So my question is... should I stay here on a student visa or should we go and wait it out in the UK? The international student fees are very expensive so I can't afford to study anything I am actually interested in, just an online Business course (the cheapest option). It will be a struggle for me to get by, but it is doable. However, would it be easier to go to the UK? What is the work situation like at the moment? Any advice for an Aussie settling in the UK (I feel like the drop in wages and weather could be issues for him). Any experience on the process of getting a spouse visa for the UK? Thanks for any opinions / advice.
  5. Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help with some advice or experience. I am looking to return in December to the UK for around 1 year with my Australian girlfriend, and then I'm plan to apply Off-Shore for a Australian De Facto Partner Visa for myself (then hoping to return to Australia once the visa is granted). I think that my Australian girlfriend can enter and stay in the UK for 6 months without a visa. Is she then able to apply On-Shore for a UK Student Visa, so that she can stay for a further 6 months to a year? (and work part/full time). Is there anyone else who has done something similar. And generally what is the cost for a typical student course? Thank you all in advance as always :-) Tom
  6. Hi and a very Happy New Year to one and all! I've been living in Aus for 10 years and I'm now both an Australian and British citizen. My wife is on a Thai passport and also has Australian residency. We want to return to the UK in 2014 to take care of my mum who is now 84 and struggling to live independently - she has no other family here in the UK. My wife wants to be my mum's carer and I will return to teaching in the UK (am I mad?!) having spent the last 3 years working for Education Queensland. I appreciate that I will need to read up on this in some detail, but I was hoping some of you may have done this recently and have a few ideas about the easiest way for my wife to obtain residency in the UK? As I'm no longer a resident in the UK myself, I don't think I'll be able to sponsor her as I did when she first came to Australia. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Regards, Mart.
  7. Hi, I have just lodged my Partner Visa Subclass 309 in Australian High Commission London. I am an Indian living in UK from last 4 years, and my current UK visa expires in 2 months. I am wondering what will happen to my application which I have submitted here. Will it still be valid and reviewed? Also, can I apply for Australian Visitor Visa, so that I can go and see my husband soon ? I am really very worried. Can I please get some advise... Thanks
  8. Guest

    UK spouse visa QUESTIONS

    Hi everyone, Isn't it great to know you're not alone in this long and difficult process!! I am an Aussie currently going through the laborious process of putting together my application to join my British husband in the UK. Just some background on me. We were married in the UK in 2006 at which time I was granted the ILR visa on the basis of our marriage. Applied in the UK - granted very quickly.Easy. I came back to live in Aus (family stuff) in April 2008 - he stayed because his job was earning us lots of money. My ILR visa expired Sept 2008. We have been living apart ever since, just die to complicated circumstances, apart from the last 6 months which we spent together travelling in Latin America. In addition to this, during our time apart, I visited him in London twice and me in Australia twice. So while our case is not straight forward, I feel we can prove beyond any doubt that our relationship has continued during this time. Now I am ready to move back to the UK and I have decided not to use an agent. I have trawled through the forums but cant seem to find the answer to this question. I am hoping someone here can help me out. According to the UK in Australia website, "A registered marriage certificate is one issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages. The certificate received on the day of the ceremony is not the registered certificate." WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? do I need to apply for a 'registered" certificate from the GRO office? I currently only have the UK marriage certificate that I received at our ceremony in London - AND which I used to get my last UK marriage visa. What's the deal? Is this not good enough now? I also have another quick qu... My husband is going to get his PASSPORT COPY notarised (since everyone here insists that it is a MUST as opposed to just being certified), but he has been asked: Do you need a FCO apostille attached to your document? Do you need consular legalisation? (If the answer is yes to either of those questions, then notarising is even more pricey...) Why does Australia have different requirements to what is listed on the UKvisas website?? For example, I am sure the UK site says you can send in certified copied of certificates whereas UK in Australia states they must be originals. Which do you go by? Thank you so much everyone!! LBS