Arrived at Heathrow on Monday...

Susanssy

I cried when we left our stop-over apartment on the Gold Coast, I shed a tear when a friend turned up at the airport unannounced to say good-bye and I gulped back the tears when the pilot said "Welcome to Heathrow".

We then walked through the arrivals lounge searching for our family amongst the crowds at the airport and as they all began waving my husband and I exchanged looks - we knew being with family again would be a huge adjustment.

It is now day four and I feel like a new woman.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing, I've been out for coffee with friends whilst the children were with their grandparents as has my husband been out for a long awaited beer in a proper pub with PROPER mates!

But more than this I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and everything seems so positive and right, it never felt quite right in Oz, even with all the sunshine!

The children are really happy to be back with their grandparents, their aunts, uncles but mostly their cousins - it has been a joy to watch them all together. The baby has finally met his extended family and is loving all the attention.

Moreover, we are finally putting everything into perspective and making plans for the future - something we haven't done for the past five years because of our imminent migration to Australia.

In short, yes we did experience mixed feelings for weeks before our departure, and yes we will always miss aspects of Australia, yet since being back I know without a shred of doubt that we made the right decision. Our family is smiling once again, and although we are financially worse off than before we left for Oz, we are emotionally much much better off!

Guest cazbeckham

What a fantastic post and wish you all the best since your return to the UK. Australia doesn't always work out for everyone and you had the guts to admit it didnt work for you.

Your family must be very pleased to see you all again. Have a happy life

Caz

I cried when we left our stop-over apartment on the Gold Coast, I shed a tear when a friend turned up at the airport unannounced to say good-bye and I gulped back the tears when the pilot said "Welcome to Heathrow".

We then walked through the arrivals lounge searching for our family amongst the crowds at the airport and as they all began waving my husband and I exchanged looks - we knew being with family again would be a huge adjustment.

It is now day four and I feel like a new woman.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing, I've been out for coffee with friends whilst the children were with their grandparents as has my husband been out for a long awaited beer in a proper pub with PROPER mates!

But more than this I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and everything seems so positive and right, it never felt quite right in Oz, even with all the sunshine!

The children are really happy to be back with their grandparents, their aunts, uncles but mostly their cousins - it has been a joy to watch them all together. The baby has finally met his extended family and is loving all the attention.

Moreover, we are finally putting everything into perspective and making plans for the future - something we haven't done for the past five years because of our imminent migration to Australia.

In short, yes we did experience mixed feelings for weeks before our departure, and yes we will always miss aspects of Australia, yet since being back I know without a shred of doubt that we made the right decision. Our family is smiling once again, and although we are financially worse off than before we left for Oz, we are emotionally much much better off!

So pleased to hear you've made the right decision. We are planning to return to the UK and have days here when I get the wobbles, so it's comforting to know you went through the same thing.

Keep us updated how you get on.

Good luck xxx

Guest valleylass

I couldn't (and indeed didn't) have put it better. This is a nutshell exactly how we all felt, and now feel. Hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Guest punky pom

What a great post. We are planning on moving back in December after 6yrs. I imagine us doing the same as you all my friends in UK have been emailing saying they cant wait. Hubby cant wait to have a proper beer in a proper pub with his mates. Thanks

Archived