Bridging Visas

Guest helen & simon

Guest helen & simon

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but as I really should be doing some housework and not spending all day on the computer (again) I thought I would just ask rather than search.

My OH is currently on a Student Visa and completes his course in 4 weeks. Obviously we know we have to apply for Graduate Visa next and we also know that we will be on a bridging visa whilst they process this. However, what I am not clear about is what (if any) restrictions apply to the bridging visa. I know that we will have to still pay school fees for our son and I know that Simon has unrestricted work rights but I'm not sure whether I will too or if I will still be restricted to the 20 hours I am allowed to do now!

Hope this makes sense :wacko:! If anyone has any idea I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Helen

No Mate once you finish your studies they you both will get work rights equally.Its just untill the studies these restrictions are.

Oh yes.My apologies.I meant that when you finish your studies and apply for TR or PR then you will get bridging visa with unlimited work rights.

Guest helen & simon

Thanks but I think I'm more confused! My husband is on the Student visa - I am obviously a dependant. I know that he has full work rights once he has finished studying but what I am not clear on is what rights do I have when we are on the bridging visa whilst 485 is being processed?

Don't mean to sound dense but want to be sure I am not getting my hopes up - only being allowed to work 20 hours a week is SO frustrating!

Guest Laura G

Hi Helen,

You get full work rights once your student visa has expired and your Bridging visa becomes effective.

Free schooling from the day the 485 is granted

Guest noskich

I have a question, may I apply for Bridging visa B even though my student visa has not expired yet (bridging visa A was granted when I applied for 485 and later 885)?

You can work 40 hours when you finish your studies, your partner has to wait until the bridging visa has been granted to work full time.

Does anyone know if you can get the child care rebate when on a bridging visa, I didnt think so, but someone told me you can. Anyone know for sure??

Does anyone know if you can get the child care rebate when on a bridging visa, I didnt think so, but someone told me you can. Anyone know for sure??

You are not eligible for Child Care Benefit or Rebate until you are a Permanent Resident. You can't get the benefits on an bridging visa but you also can't get them on a 485 as it is a temporary visa. You must be eligible for CCB before you can get CCR.

Child Care Benefit - residence requirements

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am on a 457 visa which expires only in 2013. I will be applying for the 885(regional onshore PR) visa in October.

My concern is I am supposed to go for official duties overseas in December for 3 weeks.

Do I need a bridiging visa B, or can I travel on my exisiting 457 visa and return back to Aus?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

George

Hi George,

You wont need a Bridging Visa B as your substantive visa (457) is still in effect even though you would have made an application for a new subclass of visa.

What you will need to do is on your return to Aus, you will need to contact DIAC to reinstate the Bridging Visa A

DIAC has a computer glitch which seems to cancel the Bridging Visa A when you go overseas.

You wont have any trouble getting back into OZ, as you hold a valid visa.

Hi,

I am on a 457 visa which expires only in 2013. I will be applying for the 885(regional onshore PR) visa in October.

My concern is I am supposed to go for official duties overseas in December for 3 weeks.

Do I need a bridiging visa B, or can I travel on my exisiting 457 visa and return back to Aus?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

George

Are you sure you mean the 885 visa? I thought this was for onshore international students at the end of their studies, not sure if it's possible from a 457 visa. Only mentioning this in case you need to check that you are eligible for the 885 visa from a 457 visa.

Archived