Aussie credit card payments from UK

Guest Catlover

Guest Catlover

Has anyone advice on paying aussie credit cards from the uk when you have closed your aussie bank accounts . If the payments falter do they track you down in the uk or do aussies debts stay in australia.?

A credit card account is the same as a bank account. You can run it with a positive balance and get interest paid to you, or in the red as most people do. So there should be no problem about making an international transfer from your uk bank.

Why close down your Australian bank account anyway? You can do that after some time in the UK by writing them a letter, after you have paid your credit card bill. It will be inevitable that you use your card getting to the airport, paying off utility bills etc before you leave.

Guest Catlover

think you missed the point .....what if you just leave and pay no bills or cards off ...will they bother to track you to the uk ?

Guest Catlover

I do take exception to your assumption! I have been in Oz for a number of years and have an excellent credit record, including paying off a mortgage. On my return to the UK I have every intention of paying off my card but things can go wrong in an unknown environment, as I well know from the dip in fortunes in some areas here. I was really asking three things. The first is whether you can keep a bank account open having left Oz to pay the card or whether the bank would panic that you'd left the country, close your account and demand the full amount. Secondly, whether they would accept that a card can be paid off on a monthly basis through a UK bank account. And thirdly, if they refused both of the above options, what sanctions could they take against you if you could not afford to pay off the full amount in one go?

I think that is a reasonable enough question and certainly not criminal!

mmm maybe send then a letter explaining the circumstance i.e you cant afford to pay all at once maybe they will accept a smaller payment option, i think most banks these days are international so i would think they wouold track you down at some point and that would incurr more charges,

think you missed the point .....what if you just leave and pay no bills or cards off ...will they bother to track you to the uk ?

They can and might track you down and there is the legal jurisdiction to do so. The following link provides lots of useful and relevant information. Read through all the posts as the first ones are UK to Australia debt

Tenants, building disputes, debt collection - Being chased for a UK debt in Australia

If you really want to run away from the debt then you would have to live as a fugitive for several years to make sure no credit traces were done on you, you wouldn't even be able to apply for a mobile phone or have a UK bank account.

I thought it was particularly interesting that the Australian company can 'sell' the debt to a UK debt collection agency.

I'm sure there must be a better way out o

Guest girlwizz99
I do take exception to your assumption! I have been in Oz for a number of years and have an excellent credit record, including paying off a mortgage. On my return to the UK I have every intention of paying off my card but things can go wrong in an unknown environment, as I well know from the dip in fortunes in some areas here. I was really asking three things. The first is whether you can keep a bank account open having left Oz to pay the card or whether the bank would panic that you'd left the country, close your account and demand the full amount. Secondly, whether they would accept that a card can be paid off on a monthly basis through a UK bank account. And thirdly, if they refused both of the above options, what sanctions could they take against you if you could not afford to pay off the full amount in one go?

I think that is a reasonable enough question and certainly not criminal!

I have moved back to the UK for a year and kept my Australian accounts open - I didn't have any credit cards though. There was no issue - I mentioned it to someone on the phone that I would be out the country and could they cancel my statements and they didn't seem to care less. I really don't think they would be able to seize your assets in the UK (although don't quote me on this) nor to take a proportion of your wages as they just couldn't impose anything like that. I think if you wanted to pay it off on a monthly basis you would get completely fleeced on the exchange rate.... Watch out for that as it might add extra costs. Of course, it would sort of depend on the amount you owe - if it is on a par with Paul Hogan then it may not be so easy to do a runner... (not saying that is your intention)

You have had some great advice here i would just give them a ring and explain

If your back in the uk you dont want to be worrying that its gonna come bite you in the bum, you want to be enjoying yourself not getting red letters and if your anything like me, i panic if i ever see read on an envalope and refuse to open it lol but dont do that that got me in loads of debt when i was younger thankfully i paid it all off and am now debt free and sounds stupid but it feels great i have promised myself never to get into debt ever again except a mortgage or maybe a credit card that i am able to pay off god im that good now i pay my credit card balance off every month at least 5 days before the payment date haha however i do run it back up again the next day lol

Good luck

Guest nolineonthehorizon

Have you checked to see if your Australian Bank has offices in the UK? At least one has a UK office and can be used to open and pay in money (they offer a service for migrants to get access to Australian banking prior to actually moving) So it would seem that transactions can be made from the UK to Aus.

If this is the case, perhaps it's possible to pay in from here and therefore service the debt in Australia until the balance(s) are cleared. NAB (for example) have details on their website about this service and HSBC run international accounts that can be set up in Aus $$$$ but accessed from the UK.

Just a thought.

Archived