Party Booked

We leave for Brisbane in November and I have just booked a leaving party for October,I have told my mum but she doesn't think she will be able to come, I was really unsure about having a party but in the end I thought what the heck, you see my mum is in deniel

and has not told any family that we are emigrating, so I thought I would do it for her and just send them all an invite to our leaving party. I do hope she will come round to the idea but after months of making me feel like a naughty child I have decided to take the bull by the horns and tell her what we are doing and when, even if she decides not to listern at least it makes me feel better and I know this my sound selfish but if you read any of my previous posts about my mum you will see that this is not the case. Thanks for reading sometimes these things are better out than in. (unlike farting)

Joanne

Guest Abi&Dan

You do right and you don't sound selfish - to be honest reading people's posts on PIO makes me wonder how some of them put up with the selfish behaviour of their families when they announce they're making the huge life changing decision to move to Oz!!

Anyway - parties are always fun :v_SPIN::spinny: x

Guest 8788jt

Hi Joanne

How exciting that you are at this last stage.

Even though your mum is in denial, she's going to have to face it soon and fingers crossed all will be ok in the end.

I'm sure your party will be very emotional. We haven't decided whether we will have one yet so you'll have to keep us posted about how it goes.

Good luck with your mum.

Joanne X

Have a great time at the party which is about you saying goodbye to your friends and family. Put a note in with your mums and tell her she may regret not coming to it, but you will leave the decision upto her

Good Luck

Ali

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi Joanne

This is my story,:wubclub:

I have been here 2 1/2 years now. My husband and I had very mixed emotions when we told our parents!! His parents both said `we dont want you to go but you have to do what you want to do. you only have 1 life!` Now having both been out here to see us his parents can see what a difference it has made to our life and both plead with us never to come home! They said we have such a good life here.

When I told my parents it was very mixed emotions. My Dad is a matter of fact man and whatever we wanted to do then so be it. Deep down he really wasnt sure that we would do it! He actually said that to us after we had left. My Dad sent me the most gorgeous email that I collected in the internet cafe at Heathrow Airport! We went through to Departures bawling our eyes out!

As far as my Mum , I was living the dream that she always wanted to do. She found it very very hard to think about what we were doing and would not talk about it , to us or any visitors! We had to prep visitors before we got there to say `dont mention australia`.

After a while she realised that we were going to go anyway no matter what anyone said!! She then began to get involved in what was happening. We were happy to send both sets of parents any information that we could to try and reassure them that we were doing this and doing it right!!

They will come round! Mine did! The hardest part is telling relatives. I have an aunt and uncle and three cousins (all boys of 11,12,13 when we left!). Our last night with them was terribly hard! I had to tell my Nan and say goodbye knowing that I may never see her again. I actually didnt see her again as she died after we had been here 18 months.

Once you are here and settled it will be good. Involve parents in your emails, letters that you get. Show them emails of houses you want to look at, areas you want to live in. It will all work out! It will work out! They will come round and no matter what they are parents and they will always love and respect you! Once they see what a great quality of life you will have they will understand. My parents have put in their CPV application and all fingers crossed that they will be out next year for good!

:cute:

All I can say is they will come round, life will get better. They will understand. Try not to leave on a bad note though as I always say, you never know whats round the corner!!!!

Hope party goes well, we are in Brissie so if you want someone to meet up with when u r here????

Im 35 and a nurse, OH 43 and bus driver.

Guest Curlysoo

I often wonder if families realise the extra pain they put their loved ones through at what is a tough and VERY emotional time? ..making this life changing decision, to move to the other side of the world isnt easy for any of us ... but somehow we all know it is the right decision. I truly hope your mum comes round and does go to your leaving party.

To put things in perspective I tell myself my family and friends will ony be 24 hours away ..and will always be at the end of a phone or within view using a 'puter and web cam.

We are planning a party next year before we go as well, I am gunna find the next few words VERY hard to say :embarrassed: ........ I am FIFTY next year <mumbles personal mantra of ....age is only a number, age is ONLY a number> so gunna make it a double celebration!

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird
We leave for Brisbane in November and I have just booked a leaving party for October,I have told my mum but she doesn't think she will be able to come, I was really unsure about having a party but in the end I thought what the heck, you see my mum is in deniel

and has not told any family that we are emigrating, so I thought I would do it for her and just send them all an invite to our leaving party. I do hope she will come round to the idea but after months of making me feel like a naughty child I have decided to take the bull by the horns and tell her what we are doing and when, even if she decides not to listern at least it makes me feel better and I know this my sound selfish but if you read any of my previous posts about my mum you will see that this is not the case. Thanks for reading sometimes these things are better out than in. (unlike farting)

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

When you have your party do what we did, I bought a sort of visitors book and asked everyone ( if they wanted to ), to write a farewell message, add an address, email, phone contact ets to their message. Honestly this book has been invaluable, not only do I have all my fab contacts in one book but I also have some priceless messages and memories, from time to time I still get the book out and remember the fab day. Your party time will fly by and instead of scraps of paper being thrust in your hands and then being lost, this book will do it for you!!!

Sian xx

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Joanne,

When you have your party do what we did, I bought a sort of visitors book and asked everyone ( if they wanted to ), to write a farewell message, add an address, email, phone contact ets to their message. Honestly this book has been invaluable, not only do I have all my fab contacts in one book but I also have some priceless messages and memories, from time to time I still get the book out and remember the fab day. Your party time will fly by and instead of scraps of paper being thrust in your hands and then being lost, this book will do it for you!!!

Sian xx

:idea:

GREAT IDEA! I had all my farewell cards with names/addresses on them. I bought myself a good address book as soon as i got here and transferred everything. One thing I was sure of was that I was NOT going to lose touch with anyone!

However - emails etc do peter off and have done for us. Not as many people keep in touch as regularly now. Shame really!:unsure:

Archived