Accomodation in London

gilliantay

Need some help/advice regarding accomodation in London...............Not sure if this is the correct forum to put this question on ?

We are going back to the UK at the end of October for 4 weeks. We are taking our son's friend (Australian) with us. Normally we would just fly straight into Glasgow/Edinburgh but thought that it would be nice to show the boys the sights of London before we head up to Scotland.

Not really wanting to spend too much money on accomodation but do not want to end up in some dive where we end up with unwelcome visitors (previous visit to London resulting in an infestation of bed bugs)..........I know one hotel that we will not be going to !!!!

I have found Travelodge in Covent Garden which is quite reasonable but I have cheated slightly and just put down for a family room (double bed and pull down couch)......we will only be sleeping there for 3 nights ! - the boys will be 15 and 16 so are really young men.

OR

do I go out further to the likes of Earl's court and just Tube it into the city............

Only been to London once so really want to be quite central (whatever central is) as we will have limited time to see everything.

Son's friend wants to go to Stonehenge ! - never been there myself - poor soul is so excited and wants to see and do everything but money will be quite tight.......ish.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Gill

Guest siamsusie

Hi Gill,

Travel Lodge in Covent Garden is great, functional and clean and a great area for wandering around, loads to do, good restaurants, a good buzz. On the Piccadilly line, close to Charing Cross and Leicester Squarem(good cinemas)... great line for the airport, museums etc. Oxford Street also.

Covent Garden's markets are lovely, out door acts/ busking/singers etc.

Earls Court is not pleasant imo, very rough.

Susie x

http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattodo/stonehenge_tours.htm

http://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/stonei.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2038712_day-trip-stonehenge-london.html

http://www.londontoolkit.com/tours/premium_stonehenge.htm

The travel passes/ tubes/ buses etc are good value for money! http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/underground.htm

Oyster cards are very reasonable, daily approx 4.50 adult (pounds) and 2.20 child (pounds) less for off peak

Guest siamsusie
How did I manage to miss that website ?

Thanks very much for the information - Looks like I will be booking Covent Garden tonight .

Gill

Seriously Gill, you wont regret it, the kids will be so happy loads of funky clothes shops for all. Earls Court is very :mad:. I am sure you will be happy with your decision and hey have a wonderful time... btw there is a massive Primark down Oxford Street, if you have the energy to plough through it:laugh: love Susie x

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/5617.html

You have Soho, China Town for cheapo authentic Chinese food, Tottenham Court Road /Warren Street for the most amazing array of Indian Foods

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:1307/stockpot... this restaurant The Stockpot has been going for centuries and take a look at the menus

Main courses £4.20-£7.95. Set meal £5.85-£6.50 2 courses.

http://www.coventgardenlife.com/shopping/shopping.asp

http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/oxford/os_intro.htm.

Maybe look at St Christopher Place a bit of oldie worldie England shopping wise

Nike have their Superstore on Oxford Circus and great for the kids to look around

Also Apple have their wonderful multi storey shop in Regent Street, also wonderful for the kiddies.

http://golondon.about.com/od/thingstodoinlondon/tp/free_London.htm

I have waited over a year to experience once again the thrill of shopping in Primark ...............money is tight.....ish for OH and the boys because I have it all earmarked for shopping !!!!!!!!!!!!

My legs will be worn down to stumps by the time I reach Scotland:laugh:

Thanks again

Gill

Need some help/advice regarding accomodation in London...............Not sure if this is the correct forum to put this question on ?

We are going back to the UK at the end of October for 4 weeks. We are taking our son's friend (Australian) with us. Normally we would just fly straight into Glasgow/Edinburgh but thought that it would be nice to show the boys the sights of London before we head up to Scotland.

Not really wanting to spend too much money on accomodation but do not want to end up in some dive where we end up with unwelcome visitors (previous visit to London resulting in an infestation of bed bugs)..........I know one hotel that we will not be going to !!!!

I have found Travelodge in Covent Garden which is quite reasonable but I have cheated slightly and just put down for a family room (double bed and pull down couch)......we will only be sleeping there for 3 nights ! - the boys will be 15 and 16 so are really young men.

OR

do I go out further to the likes of Earl's court and just Tube it into the city............

Only been to London once so really want to be quite central (whatever central is) as we will have limited time to see everything.

Son's friend wants to go to Stonehenge ! - never been there myself - poor soul is so excited and wants to see and do everything but money will be quite tight.......ish.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Gill

We recently stayed at the Premier Inn County Hall. Close to Waterloo Station and right next to the London Eye and Houses of Parliament. Fantastic place. Basic but clean and tidy with a good breakfast. Would thoroughly recommend.

Guest siamsusie
I have waited over a year to experience once again the thrill of shopping in Primark ...............money is tight.....ish for OH and the boys because I have it all earmarked for shopping !!!!!!!!!!!!

My legs will be worn down to stumps by the time I reach Scotland:laugh:

Thanks again

Gill

Enjoy Gill! I have added a few other links to my above post. Susie x

Go with the Travelodge although if there are 4 of you they may not be too happy about that. If you book well enough ahead you can get rooms for £19 a night - maybe not in Covent Garden but certainly out in the rest of the country. Covent Garden will be fine and much nicer than Earls Court (full of Australians LOL).

Stonehenge is going to be a bit off the beaten track for the trip up to Scotland! You really need a car to get out there - it will be a good couple of hours drive without traffic snarlups to get from there to Central London. You might get a bus tour from London I suppose Stonehenge Tours From London - A Guide To Your Choices

We recently stayed at the Premier Inn County Hall. Close to Waterloo Station and right next to the London Eye and Houses of Parliament. Fantastic place. Basic but clean and tidy with a good breakfast. Would thoroughly recommend.

Now I'm going to have to look at this one too...............................its going to be a long night.

Start night shift tomorrow night so good excuse to stay up all night and sleep all day in preparation for work.

Gill

Go with the Travelodge although if there are 4 of you they may not be too happy about that. That is my main concern when I show up with two strapping lads who are not actually children anymore !!!!!

If you book well enough ahead you can get rooms for £19 a night - maybe not in Covent Garden but certainly out in the rest of the country. Covent Garden will be fine and much nicer than Earls Court (full of Australians LOL). I just about swallowed my tongue and laughed so much reading this..........paper towels being used at the moment to mop up the spill of coffee over the computer.

Stonehenge is going to be a bit off the beaten track for the trip up to Scotland! You really need a car to get out there - it will be a good couple of hours drive without traffic snarlups to get from there to Central London. You might get a bus tour from London I suppose Stonehenge Tours From London - A Guide To Your Choices[/quoteWe are not too keen on Stonhenge (just a pile of stones in a field - joke) but the young Australian lad is so excited that his list is getting longer and longer by the day. Don't want to burst his bubble but I feel that I am going to have to let him down gently.

Thanks

Gill

Go with the Travelodge although if there are 4 of you they may not be too happy about that. That is my main concern when I show up with two strapping lads who are not actually children anymore !!!!!

Stonehenge is going to be a bit off the beaten track for the trip up to Scotland! You really need a car to get out there - it will be a good couple of hours drive without traffic snarlups to get from there to Central London. You might get a bus tour from London I suppose Stonehenge Tours From London - A Guide To Your Choices[/quoteWe are not too keen on Stonhenge (just a pile of stones in a field - joke) but the young Australian lad is so excited that his list is getting longer and longer by the day. Don't want to burst his bubble but I feel that I am going to have to let him down gently.

Thanks

Gill

If the kids are under 16 you should be fine - I just checked the site and it does say they take 4 if the kids are under 16.

Do you have rooms for families?

Yes, family rooms include a double bed plus single sofa bed and with single pullout. They can sleep up to 3 adults or a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children under 16). You can choose this room type when making your booking.

You could put the lad on a coach tour by himself one day - it is pretty iconic even though it is a bit disappointing in the flesh because it is much smaller than you anticipate and you cant get up close and personal with the stones these days but despite the crowds it is very atmospheric.

Just seen your post, We went to stonehenge on a motorbike trip in the late 90's. From when I went there as a young'un it has changed into a money grab. Fenced in by English Heratage charging 25 quid to walk around and look. I was happy with the memories of climbing over the stones fom way back. Good luck with the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I am staying in the Premier Inn Putney Bridge, Great Location for me as love putney, beautiful setting by the river, wimbledon common nearby, nice restaurants and pubs, but away from the tourist traps. It's a bit further out, but right next door to the tube station, and walk over the river and you have the mainline station.

Archived