What to buy before we come out?

cherylant78

Hi all,

I am just about to get shipping companies in for quotes, but just wondered what kind of things i should stock up on to bring with us, we are not bringing very much money with us so im looking to buy things that are more expensive in Australia, Just some things to see us through until we are settled, reading through other peoples posts i was thinking along the lines of, toiletries, kids clothes, trainers, bedding, towels, stationery, books.

So what would you have brought more of if you had known how much everything was going to cost? I appreciate that we are moving to Australia and will eventually be paying aussie prices but at the moment every little helps! Many thanks.

Cheryl.

All we did was bring with us a "standard" set of just one lot of all the toiletries we regularly used in the UK just so that would last us a week or two until we found somewhere we could stock up on similar things again.

For that sort of stuff except perfume/aftershave and that kinda thing you'll find everything else same/similar here at about the same cost so don't bother! lol

For kids clothes there's places to get them cheaper here anyway, to be honest, it's not going to make a big difference... but that's just our experience. :cute:

Yes we were looking in a shop today and some "decent" leather shoes (probably about as close to Clarks as you can get) were about $130 ++ even in a sale... d'oh. Will stick to Converse/Etnies/Vans at around the $100 mark. :cute:

Guest girlwizz99
Yes we were looking in a shop today and some "decent" leather shoes (probably about as close to Clarks as you can get) were about $130 ++ even in a sale... d'oh. Will stick to Converse/Etnies/Vans at around the $100 mark. :cute:

Why not order from marks and spencers on line - they deliver to Australia for not very much and it is pretty fast and reliable... Same with the trainers - m & m direct send to Australia. If you shop online from UK sites it is literally a fraction of the prices here and with loads more choice...

Guest girlwizz99
Hi all,

I am just about to get shipping companies in for quotes, but just wondered what kind of things i should stock up on to bring with us, we are not bringing very much money with us so im looking to buy things that are more expensive in Australia, Just some things to see us through until we are settled, reading through other peoples posts i was thinking along the lines of, toiletries, kids clothes, trainers, bedding, towels, stationery, books.

So what would you have brought more of if you had known how much everything was going to cost? I appreciate that we are moving to Australia and will eventually be paying aussie prices but at the moment every little helps! Many thanks.

Cheryl.

I'd have shipped our jaguar over - nice cars are much much more expensive over here.... Even with the import tax of 5% and the 500 quid to add it to the container we would have been so much better off than replacing it here. Oh and if you read bring as many books as you can - very very expensive over here with not much choice. I've been to 2nd hand book stores where a battered old book is still selling for more than the UK price brand new! DVDs as well - get as many UK television series and cheap films as you can for the same reason - Ebay co uk online is the best. You can't get them here often and if you can the price is so much more. Especially with such a painful exchange rate at the moment. Hope this helps!

Guest siamsusie

I stocked up well with towels and bedding before coming out here, but I have found an excellent ex hotel supplier who offers competitive prices and quality... particularly with regards to Egyptcian and Turkish towels.

Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository offers free delivery, we do use them most of the time and I find them excellent.

I brought a good supply of Baddidas & Fenjal with me only for the comfort factor lol

Susie x

Thanks Everyone,

That's all really helpfull, especially the book hint i buy loads of books and had heard that they are really expensive, isnt the internet such a great invention what did we do before internet shopping?.If anyone is in Sydney and would like anything specific bringing over in november I will be happy to oblige. Cheryl.

• 1 month later...

Archived