Feeling the strain!

Dancingsanta

Anyone else feeling the strain!

Moved to Sunshine Coast 5 weeks ago and still haven't managed to settle. We can't find jobs and have yet to meet anyone as we're not doing anything, just sitting on the computer applying for jobs. We are very active people but haven't managed to join any clubs/classes of any sort as we are running out of money and it's just getting a bit too heavy!

Did anyone have this feeling and can you say whether is will pass.

Please someone write something that will cheer me up and give me some hope that it was all worth it

:arghh:

Sorry to hear you are having a struggle. Do not know much about work on the sunshine coast but I imagine that there may be more in

Brisbane.

If you tell us what you do someone may pop along with more info for you.

Hi thanks, I am in childcare but I don't have the certificate III that they all seem to ask for and my partner is in sports coach/teacher/sports development. He really wants to get involved in the sports development but again has only UK qualifications and worries that might be restricting him. Either that or sports lecturing in Universities.

Anyone who could help it would be great to hear from you. On either matter, jobs or just generally the hope that it will get better.

Guest footballmad

Hi Dancingsanta

Welcome to the Sunny Coast. Whereabouts are you??? We live in Aroona and yes unfortunately this is a similar story all over ... I have teaching quals from the UK (I am also an RN ) and my teaching quals were not recognised so had to RPL them (cost me $900) they wanted me to do the Cert iv in teaching etc and the guy that rpl'd me said that he was so embarrassed that I had to go thro it all.. anyway.. all sorted now ... to get into childcare here you do need your cert III so try the TAFE, just apply to all the kindys with your resume ..there is alot of footwork to be done Im afraid, same with your partner, get him to get his resume out there... it does take time.. we have been here for 2 years and only in the last say 8 months has my teaching busness taken off..

If you want to pm me then please do.. please dont think I am being negative but it is hard here on the Sunny Coast hence why so many people commute to Brisbane. My hubby commutes 2 hrs a day to work he hates!!!!!!! but look the sun is on our side and it is getting warmer... keep heads up it will happen ok just keep positive

Hi Dancingsanta

Welcome to the Sunny Coast. Whereabouts are you??? We live in Aroona and yes unfortunately this is a similar story all over ... I have teaching quals from the UK (I am also an RN ) and my teaching quals were not recognised so had to RPL them (cost me $900) they wanted me to do the Cert iv in teaching etc and the guy that rpl'd me said that he was so embarrassed that I had to go thro it all.. anyway.. all sorted now ... to get into childcare here you do need your cert III so try the TAFE, just apply to all the kindys with your resume ..there is alot of footwork to be done Im afraid, same with your partner, get him to get his resume out there... it does take time.. we have been here for 2 years and only in the last say 8 months has my teaching busness taken off..

If you want to pm me then please do.. please dont think I am being negative but it is hard here on the Sunny Coast hence why so many people commute to Brisbane. My hubby commutes 2 hrs a day to work he hates!!!!!!! but look the sun is on our side and it is getting warmer... keep heads up it will happen ok just keep positive

Hey thanks, we're in Maroochydore. I have been looking into doing the certificate III and probably will do but it's not really me I'm worried about. I think we just need to realise that this is not our country and so it will take time.

Thanks again

Guest cazbeckham

Hiya

We are in Buderim and probably a lot older than you guys (Me nearly 60 oh nearly 61) so if you think we are not too old you are welcome to pop over for a beer and a chat.

Have you just been in Australia for 5 weeks or did you move from another area?

Tell us a bit about yourselves please

Hiya

We are in Buderim and probably a lot older than you guys (Me nearly 60 oh nearly 61) so if you think we are not too old you are welcome to pop over for a beer and a chat.

Have you just been in Australia for 5 weeks or did you move from another area?

Tell us a bit about yourselves please

Hi, thank you for the invite I might take you up on that! We arrived on the 14th July straight from the UK and I think it's just hitting us how hard it's going to be in basically starting again with jobs etc, as other people have said they are being turned down for jobs they could do in their sleep (for what reasons I can't really say) but from what we can only assume is because we don't have the right qualifications etc.

Hi

We have been here in Caloundra for six and a bit, and it is definatly worth the hard yards. Even now you just have to have a moment to look around you and realise how much better off you are. We have a bit of an UK meet at Moffit Beach first Sunday of the month just to relax and talk things over. When you first arrive the overwhelming feeling of "what have we done" makes you want to turn back and give up. When you through that and meet people thing will take off, and you never look back.

The RPL process sounds daunting but is quite easy as alot of the cert 3's are based on the UK/American Qualifications. The local Sunshine coast TAFE is a good place to start as they deal with sport and child care.

Keep trying and don't give up!

Good luck

Hi

We have been here in Caloundra for six and a bit, and it is definatly worth the hard yards. Even now you just have to have a moment to look around you and realise how much better off you are. We have a bit of an UK meet at Moffit Beach first Sunday of the month just to relax and talk things over. When you first arrive the overwhelming feeling of "what have we done" makes you want to turn back and give up. When you through that and meet people thing will take off, and you never look back.

The RPL process sounds daunting but is quite easy as alot of the cert 3's are based on the UK/American Qualifications. The local Sunshine coast TAFE is a good place to start as they deal with sport and child care.

Keep trying and don't give up!

Good luck

Hey thanks, we might head down to Moffit Beach then for the next meet. Im sure things will pick up but it does help to know that others have had this feeling too!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi thanks, I am in childcare but I don't have the certificate III that they all seem to ask for and my partner is in sports coach/teacher/sports development. He really wants to get involved in the sports development but again has only UK qualifications and worries that might be restricting him. Either that or sports lecturing in Universities.

Anyone who could help it would be great to hear from you. On either matter, jobs or just generally the hope that it will get better.

Hi

Welcome to this lovely part of the world and good luck with your journey because it is hard work and hurdle after hurdle you will have to jump (as you probably have done already with the visa process!) But just keep going and you will get there. One option for your OH might be to buy a franchise - I saw one advertised recently called Lazy Runner - I have no idea what it entails but might be an option to look into. Good to start networking everywhere you can because it is not what you know up here but who you know!

All the best

Guest guest30038

Sorry to hear that you're struggling.

This may not be much help but as I've said before on PIO, I've seen folk return to the UK simply because they stubbornly refused to do anything other than the job that they were trained for. The priority should be to "stabilise" yourself financially and once settled, then you can look to the career that you really want.

Think outside the box, as far as work is concerned..........if you're struggling to find work in your chosen field, then why not look in another field. We've helped a few people get jobs as wardies. Not exactly what they were looking for, but they settled in and are quite happy in their work now, and financially sound, even though the thought of a job in that area, never crossed their minds. Think of what else you are prepared to do, until such time as the job of your choice comes your way.

Good luck

kev

Guest guest36187
Moved to Sunshine Coast 5 weeks ago and still haven't managed to settle.

The main thing that sprung up in your post to me was: You say you are not settled in 5 weeks. You`re not going to be! Settling in 5 weeks is an unrealistic thing for some people. Some do, some dont! Dont be hard on yourself and think that its all going to hell because you cant feel settled!!!!

We can't find jobs and have yet to meet anyone as we're not doing anything, just sitting on the computer applying for jobs. We are very active people but haven't managed to join any clubs/classes of any sort as we are running out of money and it's just getting a bit too heavy!

I think Kev hit the nail on the head with something he said. You do need to be flexible with your job. If you cant find what you want, do something else to bring money in. It may make the first few months a little harder but you`ll get some money in! Im not sure what you do for a living but also looking out of the area is good to do.

Give yourself time to settle. keep an eye on here for get togethers. Im pretty sure there is one todya at Cotton Tree Beach (PM CazBeckham - she`ll tell you!!)

GOod Luck x

The main thing that sprung up in your post to me was: You say you are not settled in 5 weeks. You`re not going to be! Settling in 5 weeks is an unrealistic thing for some people. Some do, some dont! Dont be hard on yourself and think that its all going to hell because you cant feel settled!!!!

I think Kev hit the nail on the head with something he said. You do need to be flexible with your job. If you cant find what you want, do something else to bring money in. It may make the first few months a little harder but you`ll get some money in! Im not sure what you do for a living but also looking out of the area is good to do.

Give yourself time to settle. keep an eye on here for get togethers. Im pretty sure there is one todya at Cotton Tree Beach (PM CazBeckham - she`ll tell you!!)

GOod Luck x

Hey thanks,

We have actually gone to a few of the get together's now and they're great, it's helped me out so much!

As for settling in 5 weeks! I realise it's not realistic but we just felt like we were going nowhere, over the last few weeks things have felt better so we'll see I guess, just keep battling!

Thanks again for your post.

Guest ilovemelbourne

Oh no sounds like you are having a bit of a rough time.

I also work in childcare, I came over here without cert III also, and did my training here.

An option could be to look for a trainee position and get your qualification that way, its one way to get a job.

There are always heaps of those positions. Or you could do nannying instead, I recommend posting an ad on gumtree telling prospective employers about your childcare exp,

You can job search or post your profile for free on findababysitter and weneedananny.

I hope you find something soon, let us know how you go. Hope this helps!

Hey thanks,

We have actually gone to a few of the get together's now and they're great, it's helped me out so much!

As for settling in 5 weeks! I realise it's not realistic but we just felt like we were going nowhere, over the last few weeks things have felt better so we'll see I guess, just keep battling!

Thanks again for your post.

Hi Guys

We are moving to the Maroochydore area on 8 Feburary 2011, how do you find the area......? We did all of our research (2 years worth) for the Gold Coast, but when we validated our visas in June we went up to the Sunshine Coast for a day and fell in love with it so obviously didnt have very long to have a look round different areas!

Hubby is 29 and a Carpenter and wants to get into some surfing and I'm 27 and work in admin at the moment but open to anything, no kids at the mo just a dog who will be making the journey with us - if your similar ages etc and fancy keeping in touch we could hopefully meet up once we arrive....?! :wubclub:

Have you had any luck on the work front yet...?

Juls x x

Hey thanks, we're in Maroochydore. I have been looking into doing the certificate III and probably will do but it's not really me I'm worried about. I think we just need to realise that this is not our country and so it will take time.

Thanks again

Do you mean that you think you will want to return to UK??? Ah, I have just re-read and see what you mean now. Oops.

I have had to start doing my Cert III in aged care and I used to ba a Registered Nurse (long story but, yes, I have been VERY frustrated at times!!). Certainly in Aged care, so long as you are studying towards the Cert III and have completed the work experience (about 120 hours, I think) you can be employed. SO why don't you go for that. You will meet people, you will (eventually) earn something and it will all work out for you.

Centrelink can issue you with a concession card which will halve the college fees (TAFE anyway).

Get you OH to find out for sure about his qualifications and move on from there.

I am sure it can work out. We had no jobs when we arrived either and we are slowly getting there. We are now, at least, both working.

I posted this, then read to the end of the thread (sorry, a bad habit I am just picking up!) and so have edited this. I was a bit harsh as I thought you were being a bit lukewarm and not really trying.

I see now that you are. Well done. Keep at it!

When I read your first post that said you were thinking you had done the wrong thing because you did not feel settled after five weeks, I was gobsmacked. You had only just gotten over jet lag!! I am glad to now read that you have met up with other expats and are getting information from them regarding jobs. When Iwe arrived in Oz I

we did anything and everything to bring in money. I was a well qualified secretary/shorthand typist but I worked nights polishing lens for glasses, I worked as a demonstrator in stores and then landed a job as an occupational therapist. I even did a season grape picking for Hardy's wineries. Loved it!! We had three jobs between us and we eventually put a deposit down on a spec home six months after we landed. We also had to sort out child care as our kids were two and five. We had no family and no friends when we arrived and actually lived in the hostel for a couple of weeks. You sound as though you are now starting to make friends and you seem to have the determination to succeed. Some people take longer than others to settle, but they are so glad they hung on in there! Best of luck. Post every so often so we know how you are going on! We have been living in the UK for a few years, travelling around Europe etc. We are returning on 30 November. Looking forward to some sunshine instead of the cold winter!

Archived