6 weeks in Perth

loubylou475

Hi everyone - just wanted to share my (our) bizarre and exciting first few weeks in Perth. Arrived after a whirlwind 10-weeks after managing to sell uk home and secure a great sponsorship. Read way too much on here (seriously, before we arrived I'd decided we were gonna live up a tree with a koala - everywhere else seemed to be disregarded by one or another PIO member).... so decided to abandon the site for a while. Our first rental was in Northbridge.... the apartment was immaculate, great for transport links and 15 yrs ago we'd have loved it, but with kids 10 and 8, overlooking Black Betty's nightclub was not the best place for us, especially on the weekend. A couple of phonecalls to the relocation people and we moved just outside of Carlilse near Vic Park, into a lovely modern townhouse. We then spent 2 weeks trawling the northern suburbs for a long-term unfurnished rental for when our container arrives. It's worth noting here that our 'sheffield postcode' home sold at the bottom of the market so we weren't rolling in cash by any stretch of the immagination. We soon came to realise that our dreams of a northern coastal home were not to happen. The rentals we viewed can only be described as being 'tired' and that's polite.... even after upping the max to $800/week. We'd heard nightmare stories of other people on 457's and trying to purchase so it hadn't occurred to us to go down that route. Until we started looking at 'for sale's .... the rental market is way too competitive but we found the buyers market much more relaxed. After 3 weeks viewing and pestering agents, we found a lovely home in Canning Vale and made an offer, which was accepted and we're waiting for the keys!!! The main purpose of my post is to say that we arrived here 6 weeks ago - hell-bent on living the dream in the northern coastal suburbs but we've found that we quite like being close to the river - still only a short trip from the coast and although south of the river we couldn't be happier!! I've already met so many friendly people - the locals are great for advice on places to visit and eat out etc and basically we have managed to buy a 4-bed home with no problems - the FIRB part was dead simple to do online and was approved in 8 days. Spend some time researching whilst still in the UK but please please don't set your heart on looking for the impossible, or be put off by negative experiences on here or elsewhere. Make your own journey unique, the adventure exciting, and embrace all that beautiful WA has to offer and you'll find your own way, every time. Lou:chatterbox:

Guest koala brothers

Hi Loubylou, such a positive post and I'm really glad that things are working out for you. So exciting to be waiting for the keys to your own home, I bet you just can't wait to get on with it. My family and I also came over just 5 weeks ago and have secured a rental in Success and are just getting on with it now and enjoying having our own place to call home. It's always nice to make new friends and if you and your family fancy meeting up to share news / views stories and a glass of wine or a coffee once you get organised it'd be great to meet up as we're living close to canning Vale.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lalalaliza

Congratulations sounds like things are working out very well for you.

How did you find the buying process?? We are unsure of how long you need to be in employment before considering buying and whats it like for deposits do you need 20%??

Any advice would be great

Liza

Archived