Refrigeration engineers

leeannekays

Has anyone moved to OZ on the Skill of Refrigeration Engineer? We are eager to move to OZ and are currently waiting to hear back from Vetassess.

We are so eager to move to OZ, we went on holiday there last year and realised its the place for us. Any feed back from anyone would be great on any demand in certain places or if anyone is Refrig Engineers, how are you finding it?

Leeanne

Guest Lowbie

Hi Leeanne

Good luck with your VETASSESS results! I'm sure you will be fine!

My OH is a refrigeration and air con engineer too! I'm new to this forum, but there dont seem to be many on here (if I'm wrong, do shout! Be good to hear from everyone!)

We applied last year so, like many many others, are waiting patiently to hear more!

Have spent a year in AUs before and have a lot of friends over there (not in AC though!) and we, like yuo, feel its definitely the place for us! One of the companies my OH used to work for (still stays in tuoch with them all) has had AC staf head over to Aus for work/WHV and have had AC companies is Aus ask them to stay for sponsorship - so there is definitely a need for us over there! :jiggy:

And things do seem slow and tough, but stick with it. you are not alone on the journey. And hopefully more will start to happen now that there is movement again with DIAC. Fingers crossed anyway!

Good luck with anything. Where abuots would you like to settle in Aus ideally?

Shout if I can help with anything else :spinny:

Lowri

Hi Lowri,

Thank you for your e-mail. We arent to fussy where we head for in OZ first of all. As long as there is work for my OH. We visited Melbourne and Gold Coast and Brisbane last year. We have friends in Melbourne and Perth.

Do you know where you would like to head for in OZ?

It is definaley a waiting game. Keep in touch.

Leeanne

Guest Lowbie

One of our favourite places was Coffs Harbour in NSW. So beautiful and tranquill! Loved it! But that might be a bit further down the line due to work reasons. Otherwise we're hoping to settle in or around Melbourne where I understand there is a lot of work!

But its a big place with a lot going on, so I guess we'd just play it by ear and see how we get on!

Definitely stay in touch to see how are AC/Refrigeration journeys go!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

My son is a 'fridgee' (Refrigeration Mechanic/Engineer) and while he is in Melbourne, the big money is usually to be earned in the hotter climates up north (Qld, Northern Territory) but there is plenty of work here, my son's former work colleague went out on his own and now he has built up quite a business and has asked my son to buy into it.

If you are good there's plenty of work.

Hi Olly, My OH really enjoys his work, we really hope we get the opportunity to come to OZ.

My OH sister lives in Melbourne (emigrated 4 years ago).

Its good to know there is lots of work.

Hi Leeanne, have you had a look on the job sites, you will get an idea of what is available - a package of salary, car, phone etc is the best idea if working for a big company. My son works for a private company but also does installing work privately. In Melbourne it can, depending, be a little quieter in the winter months as it gets cold, but during the summer when climate control needs monitoring more due to overloads etc it can get hectic.

Hi, We came here on Refrigeration/Air-Con Visa. We are on the Sunny Coast not that much work this way, although oh has not been unemployed here. The money on the SC is pretty poor (guess it depends what your used to in the UK).

We have been here 2 years in December, oh needed to go to TAFE to get his restricted electrical licence, but I believe all that may have changed now and you are probably coming here qualified with that part.

Just a tip, bring all your certificates with you even gas handling etc..

We love it here , good Luck

Hi, We came here on Refrigeration/Air-Con Visa. We are on the Sunny Coast not that much work this way, although oh has not been unemployed here. The money on the SC is pretty poor (guess it depends what your used to in the UK).

We have been here 2 years in December, oh needed to go to TAFE to get his restricted electrical licence, but I believe all that may have changed now and you are probably coming here qualified with that part.

You still need to go to TAFE to get your restricted electrical licence work, you may even need a job first to get on the course, I recently did mine and there were lots of fridgees on the course, they had to get there Arctik tickets first, think that was the aussie qualifications of air con and gas handling. There was a UK guy on the course and he said he was self employed to get on the course.

Yes it is Arctik, and my oh would have got a restricted electrical licence without going to TAFE but they the TRA did a phone interview/test when we got here, he was about 2 percent out on the required amount to pass, therefore TAFE was his only route , otherwise he would have had the restricted electrical licence.

RPL was the best people that we met that helped loads.

Just had to share the news, rec a e-mail this morning and my OH has passed the theory with Vetassess and we can now go on and book the practical. However waiting for new practical dates to be set! We are so pleased but trying to keep calm and level headed as know there is so many more hurdles. Just one bit at a time.

xx Leeanne

• 1 year later...

Hi Mate,

Im looking at emigrating next year and looking to go into the refrigeration industry myself in Sydney. It wont be on the skill visa as my wife is australian. Im hoping to get some experience under my belt before i come over but it might not be the case. Im studying a diploma in ac and refrigertaion along with gaining the city and guilds certificates. How is the industry over there, and how do go about getting your quialifications checked once your over? Thanks.

Hi guys, just wanted to ask how your visa apps/tafe courses are going and anyone in oz how the refrigeration market is? Looking at emigrating over next year once i gain my qualifications and hopefully get some experience before i come over. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
Hi guys, just wanted to ask how your visa apps/tafe courses are going and anyone in oz how the refrigeration market is? Looking at emigrating over next year once i gain my qualifications and hopefully get some experience before i come over. Thanks.

I've just come across this post although its a little dated now!

I came out in 2012 on a 457 visa, rebuilding refrigeration/airconditioning compressors which I'd done in the UK for 20 yrs, work with all types from Bitzer through to York, recips & screws, from industrial to supermarket work.

Any fridges in Melbourne who use rebuilds instead of brand new?

Archived