Guest Gerbil

Guest Osprey21

Ok cheers mate ! Me and the wife are going to come over middle of January only for a week but the kids will stay with their nan ! While I can get over there for so cheap through the wife I thought I may aswell see the sky over the place and meet some estate agents etc ! I will make my mind up then ( or rather the wife will ?) can u tell me what the basic take home pay is ? When I'm coming over for the week I'll pm u and maybe we could meet up for a chat ?

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I or we from the first intake in September are loving it out here and have no intentions of going back. Yes you do need some money out here to set up but yes we all knew that and didn't have blinkers on. I find the cost of living not bad at all. We don't eat out all the time on fast food and buy things that we can't afford. We are still able to save money each month and provide a better lifestyle for our kids. Don't be put off on the negativity of others life is for living and not for regretting. Living in Oz has so much to offer if you just give it a chance.

Guest Osprey21

Trust me mate for the last month I've tried on the iPhone Facebook app and my laptop and I cannot find that group ?

How far away is Drummonds Cove by car anyone know ?

Guest Guest51968

hi Mate

Nothing is far away !! one end of twon to the other (Drummonds to Wandina around 20 mins) Anywhere to centre of town about 10mins tops.

Mark

Guest joannehancock
Trust me mate for the last month I've tried on the iPhone Facebook app and my laptop and I cannot find that group ?

How far away is Drummonds Cove by car anyone know ?

Hi we live in drummonds cove it is about a 10min drive down the sea front to the town, but there are shops and supermarkets at bluff point if u dont want to go all the way into town. Charlie my little lad is at Wraggrakine school it is a brilliant school, and won awards this year he loves it. hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Oh dear ! In the interview I was told the basic wage is $72k but with Sunday and Saturday at 1.7 the average wage is $85k ? Doing a bit of research on the web I seen Train Drivers are on $100-160k ?? As for savings well I have not got any ( only went for interview last month so have not been able to plan , got a house in Uk which I will sell in a couple of years £20kish in equity)

I have got it really got here in the UK though I am on £50-£55k a year with OT ( I work for FGW ) and my wife works for an Airline so I can fly anywhere for next to nothing ! But what job opportunities will be in the UK for my kids ( 3 & 5 ) when they start their working life ? Money aside is the move for the kids worth it ? What chances are there of transferring to another place within QR National and QR ( are the passenger drivers on more ) ?

You should work on the rate of $2.2 to £1 for the true cost of living which gives a comparison salary of £32,272 based on $71,000 do not work on the exchange rate of 1.5 as you will end up worse off. The former ARG are poorly paid in comparison with other railroad companies and prices in Geraldton are generally higher for example fuel (Perth $1.35 ltr, Gero $1.50)

As for transfering, the former ARG which is actually 'Australian Western Railroad' is a subsidiary of QR so you can not transfer to other parts of QR only former ARG depots, in fact even the pay and conditions are different to the rest of QR.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MongooseB

Hello Mark!

So glad to hear that you guys are well settled and loving this awesome country as much as we are. We didn't make it over with ARG, but that's not the issue, fact is, we are here and loving it!

I think I may have stated this before much earlier in this thread, set up costs are heavy at first, and you are quite right, if you don't dive into the luxurious lifestyle just to impress others who really don't care, it's not that bad.

Well said in your comments Mark!

Anyone wanting any advice, feel free to PM me. To anyone who is new to the ARG process, hang in there and whatever you do, listen to those who talk positively about things. I won't lie, it IS a difficult move, BUT, the rewards (and there are MANY!) soon erase the months you will have waited, and the stress and worries of it all. Don't come over with rose tinted spectacles on, do your homework, be open minded and when you leave the UK, leave it behind you and move on with your new life in Oz. Things WILL be different, that's to be expected, but as long as you don't come over thinking Aus owes you a living, you'll do fine! In terms of ARG, if you have questions, ask ARG outright. Don't get caught up in negativity on these threads. Although they are VERY helpful, there are some folk who's negativity is purely subjective and destructive. ARG may not have been who we came over with, but they are certainly not a bad company to work for and I only ask one question...how many Oz companies are there that are recruiting from the UK, who offer you a 457 visa, flights etc covered?? Believe me when I say this, NOT VERY MANY!

I say to the new ARG recruits, stay focused, hang in there and PMA...Positive Mental Attitude! (please note, this advice comes from folk who WEREN'T successful with ARG - and it carries no grudge bear at all, we genuinely wish you luck in your application)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest saffy46

Hi my hubby was also offered the job in december, he has had his medical, it has all been sent back a month ago and now heard nothing, where are you up to? Im not very patient and just want to get over there!!

Hi hutchhouse, I am new to the group and we are still in the application status to join ARG (very very very early in the app process), This is a real mind blast to think that we may be moving to the other side of the World. I have read a lot of the threads and I admire your candor, and honesty regarding your experience with the move. I have lots of questions (and I mean lots) and would like to chat more with you if that is possible.

Alleycat

Ok.. I(we) are one of the aforementiond November lot supposedly still in holiday mode.

Thus far whilst in holiday mode we have rented a house and moved in today( a lovely brand new 4 bed 2 bath place) costing $450 a week

We have bought 2 second hand motors, both kids are at school, both have joined the surf life saving club and myself and the oldest have trained with a soccer team.

My wife has also just been told she has been successful in her interview for a 20hr a week part time job that fits perfectly with school hours

Having been on the beach only twice 18 days I don't consider that much of a holiday!!

Wr haven't gone mad out here and made big financial commitments to new cars or posh phones on contracts.

Yes set up costs are a whack BUT we are setting up new lives in a new country. The basic salary will do us nicely thank you and Mrs H part time job will now cover virtually all of the rent.

We aren't Here for all the luxurious trappings life offers. My boys are 12 & 10. Wr came to give them an outdoor lifestyle and for better job opportunities in 6-8 years time.

The group we are in have been superb and are all helping each other with houses, jobs, cars etc.

Do your homework by all means PM for a breakdown of my costs etc, but at the end of the day make your own decision.

Cost of living information can be found on the net with a little digging if you don't want to take anyone's word on her for the numbers

Hope that helps and balances things out a bit

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kornish

G'day, I'm joining the Poms in April:) & haven't been on here for a while! So glad to see its still running! As previously stated we are all on Farcebook now! Mongoose, how did you get over in the end? What I like is the fact that you still got over before a lot of us drivers! Good on ya!

Archived