Guest Gerbil

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yorkie66

Hubby sat in perth airport waiting for his flight home....he has been staying with an arg driver in

Kalgoorlie for a few days after visiting Geraldton...will be home tuesday!!!

Guest beammeupscottie
Any Recce News???

hubby arrived home yesterday so been looking at pics and film he took. he visited the depot and met the gaffer, said he was really friendly, plenty work for years and years to come. :biggrin:

i must admit it looks very very nice, blue sea, top weather, hubby had a swim every morning! said the shops etc shut early so no late night supermarket shopping. he said the place was very very clean, no graffiti etc, he visited geraldton senior college and got a pack but they have not finalised what courses are available for next year yet. they said that when we arrive we would arrange a meeting and our daughter would start the next day.

on the down side if you want a beer be prepared to pay as its expensive!:eek:

i think we are sold on it now but i do think it will be a very different life to what we have now,

has anyone been for their medical yet? i am trying to arrange it, if anyone has been who did they use BUPA?

Guest yorkie66

hi beammeupscottie,

i will be watching my footage of geraldton tomorrow..i have been informed it contains lots of

naughty words.....im wondering if thats the morning dip in the sea....lol...glad mr beammeupscottie is home safe and sound....thanks for the review.

hubby arrived home yesterday so been looking at pics and film he took. he visited the depot and met the gaffer, said he was really friendly, plenty work for years and years to come. :biggrin:

i must admit it looks very very nice, blue sea, top weather, hubby had a swim every morning! said the shops etc shut early so no late night supermarket shopping. he said the place was very very clean, no graffiti etc, he visited geraldton senior college and got a pack but they have not finalised what courses are available for next year yet. they said that when we arrive we would arrange a meeting and our daughter would start the next day.

i think we are sold on it now but i do think it will be a very different life to what we have now,

has anyone been for their medical yet? i am trying to arrange it, if anyone has been who did they use BUPA?

sounds fab!! still waiting for bupa to get back to us,seems like it a 2-3 wk wait !! as for the beer,i have been google-ing the important things!! u-brew it,is a make your own beer place,you pick your malts,grains and hops,bob it in ,ferments,pick you bottle or tin and go back 2 weeks later to collect and drink.They are all over WA and theres one in geraldton,happy days!!:goofy:

Guest simon h

im booked with well work £360 all in http://www.wellwork.com there all over the country

Guest RitchieC

sorry trying to do this at Perth on free internet and keeps timing out, will post my findings on my return to UK on Wednesday,

Guest Kornish
sounds fab!! still waiting for bupa to get back to us,seems like it a 2-3 wk wait !! as for the beer,i have been google-ing the important things!! u-brew it,is a make your own beer place,you pick your malts,grains and hops,bob it in ,ferments,pick you bottle or tin and go back 2 weeks later to collect and drink.They are all over WA and theres one in geraldton,happy days!!:goofy:

Hi Pinky, this is what BUPA sent to me this morning. I made it clear that we are booking & paying so in effect from BUPA's point of view its nothing to do with ARG. Don't think they listened very well!

I have spoken to our lead physician regarding the required medical and he has informed me that we are not to book these until the company in Australia sets up an official account with us as the medical is very bespoke and requires a bespoke product to be created on our system which incorporates all the standards required.

I am very sorry but until the company do this I can not proceed with the booking.

Kind regards,

Eleni

Guest simon h

This is who I'm going with for my medical it's all set up now for anyone to get and there based all over uk Its costing£360 which is really cheap hope this helps anyone not in the facebook group arg pomms.

West Wing Suites 207-208

Wingrove House

Ponteland Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE5 3DE

T: 0191 2869927

F: 0191 2866349

E: newcastle@wellwork.co.uk

(Click Image to enlarge)

Newcastle also take bookings for our clinic in Middlesbrough (274 Martyn Road, TS4 2NS)

For more details please contact the Newcastle clinic on the above telephone number, alternatively you can email newcastle@wellwork.co.uk.

West Wing Suites 207-208

Wingrove House

Ponteland Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE5 3DE

T: 0191 2869927

F: 0191 2866349

E: newcastle@wellwork.co.uk

Guest Joznmazo
Hi Pinky, this is what BUPA sent to me this morning. I made it clear that we are booking & paying so in effect from BUPA's point of view its nothing to do with ARG. Don't think they listened very well!

I have spoken to our lead physician regarding the required medical and he has informed me that we are not to book these until the company in Australia sets up an official account with us as the medical is very bespoke and requires a bespoke product to be created on our system which incorporates all the standards required.

I am very sorry but until the company do this I can not proceed with the booking.

Kind regards,

Eleni

Hi All

I have booked with BUPA in Derby, I sent them all the documentation through and they said that they were happy to complete the paperwork that ARG had sent but would not be able to conduct the bloods, so I am booked in with my GP who advised they will do the blood work for free which I can then let BUPA have and then they will forward the complete pack to ARG. I also contacted Wellwork who advised that they could only get me in at Newcastle clinic but it would be not until 11th July onwards, and Express medicals could do it at London but would not complete the ARG paperwork as they did not have the medical standards??? ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!! But if BUPA at Derby were really helpful so may be worth a shot if not too far away for you??

cheers

Guest RitchieC

Just got back yesterday, me and wife really like the place. If its life in the slow lane then I think this is the place to be.

If you are into sport or your kids are the facilities are brilliant, we visited a massive complex which had netball, our football and theirs, squash courts, horse racing theres too many too list. We got talking to someone who emigrated from Tasmania with her 2 kids and she also said there are alot of different after school activities ranging from girl guides, sea and army cadets to surfing and kite surfing clubs, she also said she got her kids involved which made a bit easier for them too find new friends.

We visited the high school and a primary school and both schools have very good facilities. When kids get to about 15 they can choose whether to continue eduaction or they are put on vocational courses where they can learn a trade or skill.

We had a look at some houses, they are a bit different to what we are used too. Its like open plan living.

The town centre can be quiet and does shut down early, we where in a place L'Attitude on sunday a lively bar but shut at 10, so it was busy from 4 onwards. No big named shops, but with the city expanding you never know what might appear.

They have drive through bottlemarts and ATM machines, so no need to get out the car to pick your ale or wine, great stuff!!!!

There is plenty there for all ranges of hobbies etc aswell as the lifestyle, yes some things are more expensive as well as some being cheaper. you can still get alot of stuff in supermarkets that you get here, just to remind you of home!!!

Look forward to finally meeting up at Heathrow.....

Guest Kornish

Thanks very much for that Ritchie. One store that some people might know of that is in Geraldton, is Target. It sponsored Nigel Mansell when he was racing in the USA I'm sure it's a USA company. From what I recall it's like Wilkinson & TJ Hughes here, but without the groceries.

Guest yorkie66

hi all,

well here is another posiitve reccie report.....

hubby met up with troy.. he is arg's depot manager..he had a tour around the depot which he liked.

roster /turns are, at present 4 days on..3 days off...3 days on..4 days off !!..troy said although the basic wage is $68,000..his lads are earning $90,000 +

nice areas of which we would consider living in are mount tarcoola..tarcoola beach..wandina..seacrest estate.& .cape burney...these are catchment areas for mount tarcoola primary..but hubby said there are more nice areas!

geraldton has 3 supermarkets 2 mcdonalds and a hungry jacks..which is our burger king..a cinema

ten pin bowling..swimming pool..sports facilities..too many to mention..harvey normans and the good guys are house hold electrical stores and bunnings which is like homebase..

plenty of nice cafe's and restaurants...and nice parks with family bbq areas..& .nice beaches..it has enough stores and banks etc to keep us going...but if the ladies need clothing and dont fancy a 4 hour trip to perth dont forget debenhams..marks and sparks..and next all deliver to oz...hurrah!!

a trip to the doctors will cost $60.00 but you will get $32.00 back from medicare...dentists are sooo

expensive..but if you have children below year 11 you can get free dental treatment, it is located at rangeway primary school and is called the dental therapy centre...definately worth knowing.

cars are a little expensive a hyundai getz 2006 plate..$9000..and a new ford focus $20,000..on the plus side they dont rust..lol..and like my sister told me do not convert your purchases back into pounds when you live in oz or you will go mad.

all in all we are going to make the move ..although upon his return my hubby could not make his mind up..he was not blown away by geraldton...but he liked it enough....

Guest RitchieC

Are you sending the contract back first and medical later? I've emailed ARG to see if they are wanting all the paperwork together but have not had a reply and I am conscious it states must reply within 4 weeks. Thanks

Guest simon h
Are you sending the contract back first and medical later? I've emailed ARG to see if they are wanting all the paperwork together but have not had a reply and I am conscious it states must reply within 4 weeks. Thanks

I wouldn't panic I've not even received mine yet :-/

Guest beammeupscottie

we sent the contract back itself, with a letter saying that medical would follow. when we booked the medical they said that the courier would have to arrange to get it straight from them as we could not have the medical papers back incase we tampered with them:biggrin: i suppose as long as it all gets there? i sent the contract with royal mail and you can track it, it also had to have a signature so at least i will know it got there, cost £7.02 and only 2 pound if you did not want a signature :wideeyed:

Just got back yesterday, me and wife really like the place. If its life in the slow lane then I think this is the place to be.

If you are into sport or your kids are the facilities are brilliant, we visited a massive complex which had netball, our football and theirs, squash courts, horse racing theres too many too list. We got talking to someone who emigrated from Tasmania with her 2 kids and she also said there are alot of different after school activities ranging from girl guides, sea and army cadets to surfing and kite surfing clubs, she also said she got her kids involved which made a bit easier for them too find new friends.

We visited the high school and a primary school and both schools have very good facilities. When kids get to about 15 they can choose whether to continue eduaction or they are put on vocational courses where they can learn a trade or skill.

We had a look at some houses, they are a bit different to what we are used too. Its like open plan living.

The town centre can be quiet and does shut down early, we where in a place L'Attitude on sunday a lively bar but shut at 10, so it was busy from 4 onwards. No big named shops, but with the city expanding you never know what might appear.

They have drive through bottlemarts and ATM machines, so no need to get out the car to pick your ale or wine, great stuff!!!!

There is plenty there for all ranges of hobbies etc aswell as the lifestyle, yes some things are more expensive as well as some being cheaper. you can still get alot of stuff in supermarkets that you get here, just to remind you of home!!!

Thanks Richie,

We're doing the same as you going on Monday. not looking forward to flight though LOL.

Hopefully find that we like it too!!!

:biggrin:

Guest RitchieC
Thanks Richie,

We're doing the same as you going on Monday. not looking forward to flight though LOL.

Hopefully find that we like it too!!!

:biggrin:

I dreaded the flight but it was okay, we flew with emirates, plenty to eat and drink great variety of films etc, so time went quite quick.

We hired a car and drove round various areas Mount Tarcoola, Tarcoola Beach and Windina at one side and had a drive to Drummond Cove, Sunset Beach and Bluff Point at the other side. They where the areas recommended to us to look at.

We picked up the car at Perth and it was a 5 hour drive by Indian Ocean Highway, it was nice but long.

Hope you enjoy, if you like different types of Coffees try Skeetas and Dome they over look Indian Ocean, its beautiful. Food good too.....

If you are there Saturday and Sunday they have open houses which are for sale that you can look round and leave details with estate agents non committal. We where recommended to do this by an estate agent to give us an idea what the houses or bungalows are like. Pick up a free paper (Reiwa its called) outside estate agents which will list house at the back that are open for viewing. They also said Rangeway and Spalding where the less desireable areas.

Good luck with your 'recce', We are from Carlisle are not used to the big city hussle and bussle and therefore this suited us down to the ground as it was quiet, laid back town. :biggrin:

I dreaded the flight but it was okay, we flew with emirates, plenty to eat and drink great variety of films etc, so time went quite quick.

We hired a car and drove round various areas Mount Tarcoola, Tarcoola Beach and Windina at one side and had a drive to Drummond Cove, Sunset Beach and Bluff Point at the other side. They where the areas recommended to us to look at.

We picked up the car at Perth and it was a 5 hour drive by Indian Ocean Highway, it was nice but long.

Hope you enjoy, if you like different types of Coffees try Skeetas and Dome they over look Indian Ocean, its beautiful. Food good too.....

If you are there Saturday and Sunday they have open houses which are for sale that you can look round and leave details with estate agents non committal. We where recommended to do this by an estate agent to give us an idea what the houses or bungalows are like. Pick up a free paper (Reiwa its called) outside estate agents which will list house at the back that are open for viewing. They also said Rangeway and Spalding where the less desireable areas.

Good luck with your 'recce', We are from Carlisle are not used to the big city hussle and bussle and therefore this suited us down to the ground as it was quiet, laid back town. :biggrin:

Thanks for info Richie, Were flying with Quantas on monday arrive in Perth on tuesday, we too have hired a car and hoping to see the lovely coastline most of the way up. I'm currently having a nightmare trying to upload Australia on to our tomtom without success. :confused:

Can see us having to hire a sat nav too now!!!!! :arghh::arghh:

Glad your Reccie went well, Geraldton Sounds great, we are confident that we will love it, as we live in Cornwall were the pace of life is slower, we also lived in France for a short while where shops shut early, as do the bars so we feel the lifestyle will suit us.

What is the equivalent to Tesco or Asda in Geraldton?

Archived