health and safety jobs

hi could any one tell us ,,,i'm not seeing much on pomsinoz about chefs i know the criteria has changed but thats what i got my tra with so its a bit scary maybe there is work out there for me...on another note my husband is a health and safety officer would he be okay for work

hi could any one tell us ,,,i'm not seeing much on pomsinoz about chefs i know the criteria has changed but thats what i got my tra with so its a bit scary maybe there is work out there for me...on another note my husband is a health and safety officer would he be okay for work

There are plenty of jobs in OHS, I am currently having a career change and trying to get one in the area as well. I am finishing up a specific qualification in OHS training, and this is highly regarded, as experience is not always enough. Not sure if they are on the skills list though, as from the size of my classes everyone is getting into it, it's very well paid. Good luck with it

hi,

I hold my Nebosh General Cert in H&S, however I am unsure if this is recognised in Australia.

Does anyone know if it is?

Thanks

Elaine

Never heard of it in Victoria, but you wouldn't take long to brush up on it though. Check out the OHS courses

Guest Guardian Angel

Hey Guys

Not heard of that here but we run on Certificate IV's minimum for Occ Health & Safety, you'd also have to have a solid understanding or experience with the relevant Occ Health & Safety Acts and Regulations applicable to the State you're applying to. Would be helpful to have an understanding of the Mines Act if you want the good $$$. No one has a Safety Professional in small busnesses so most of that stuff is done by elective safety representatives. If ya joining a company or want to join a company like construction you've gotta have their knowledge i.e. Building Codes, the Wharfies..well you gotta be born on the docks lol...

The best way to do it is to join a company and if you have Brit qualifications you'd be low level to start because it totally different criteria, so then you gotta work your way up and take the qualifications or Recognition of Prior Learning. Or, join a company get elected as a Safety Rep, do the Safety Rep Training (initial 4 days) work as the rep for your term of 2 or 4 years, whilst studying your Cert IV in Occ Health & Safety..you may then be considered to assist an Occ Health and Safety Professional and work your way up from there.

You could go straight to UNI and take your degress in it, good way, but then you have no Operational Experience so again you start at the bottom..

Its good $$$$$ when you get there but its also top of the tree and you can be fall pretty quickly cos the buck stops there!!!...without upsetting anyone...its called 'putting your coc on the block'...thats the huge dollars but you pay the price if it goes wrong..

Having said that Guys...its a bloody good job, interesting, diversified and rewarding and one of the most sought after roles for the right person and companies here are clammering to get Professionals..

Good Luck!

Guest Clairey b

Hi there,

We moved over last year, and my husband has the nebosh general certificate and also the construction certificate and no one seemed to recognise it here in WA. He really struggled to find work, but got into a company in a different capacity and they have now created a OHS job for him, and he is absolutely loving it! I know you can get your qualifications assessed and then recognised here (RPL), so maybe that could be something you could look at if needed. There do seem to be a fair few jobs in OHS and as others have said they can be very well paid..especially in the mines!!!

Wishing you the best of luck....although sure you won't need it!

Claire x

I am currently doing the Diploma OHS at one of the TAFE colleges, and find that most people are doing that, I began with the Diploma because I had 5 years experience as a rep at work, had done the 5 day course and had been to other training one day courses etc. As in my previous post, it doesn't take long to get up to speed, has cost me $3000 for the Diploma though !

Are you working in OHS here in Melbourne?

Oh was that for me Northernpommy? Not sure if the question was for me, but if it is, I am a rep at the moment, when finished course will go and look for something, will have no problems plenty of work it seems, only about a zillion dollars more than what I'm getting:laugh:

Archived