Gas fitter wants to emigrate to Oz

Foxdown

Hi, This is my first post here....my boyfriend is currently a gas engineer and plumber in the UK. He hasn't done an apprenticeship, just on the job training. He is GasSafe registered for gas and LPG and has held his qualifications for the last 10 years. We have been to see a migration agent (Working In Visas) and they have told him that as he hasn't done a formal appreticeship that would be recognised in Oz he must complete a cetificate 3 in plumbing before his visa application can begin (to do this he would need to go to Oz and complete the apprenticeship which takes 3 years).

There must be plenty of gas engineers who have migated to Oz from UK without an apprecticeship. How would you recommend he gets the relevant qualifications? Surely his 10 years experience and GasSafe registration counts for something. Thanks.

Hi, This is my first post here....my boyfriend is currently a gas engineer and plumber in the UK. He hasn't done an apprenticeship, just on the job training. He is GasSafe registered for gas and LPG and has held his qualifications for the last 10 years. We have been to see a migration agent (Working In Visas) and they have told him that as he hasn't done a formal appreticeship that would be recognised in Oz he must complete a cetificate 3 in plumbing before his visa application can begin (to do this he would need to go to Oz and complete the apprenticeship which takes 3 years).

There must be plenty of gas engineers who have migated to Oz from UK without an apprecticeship. How would you recommend he gets the relevant qualifications? Surely his 10 years experience and GasSafe registration counts for something. Thanks.

apprenticship is so important as on the job means nothing.

Hi There,

Im Nick and a plumber/gasfitter like most on this site...

When i first started trying to find out if i was a gasfitter or plumber i got many different replies..

Firstly has youre OH got a NVQ level 2 in Plumbing/Mechanical services... Hopefully he has like Kirk and Co say on the job does not count for much nor do the GAS SAFE ACS Tickets..

However ive met a couple of good people on here in the same boat as you guys.. Basically youre OH has to go down the Vetassess Route like me and most plumbing/heating and gas engineers have to..

I dont think youre agent knows what he is on about...

Ive just passed my Vetassess as a General plumber because unless you have done 4 Years in Gas NVQ Levels 2 and 3 you are not going to be a gas fitter under their job title..

Its a pain but you have to go the Vetassess rout as a general plumber, i am afraid i dont have the link.. Good Luck..

trust me its the path we all but a few have to go down..

anymore advice feel free to PM me.

:laugh:

Cheers Nick the Plumber

Hey Nick

Hope all is well down the sunny south coast :cool:

Hello Foxdown, this is the vetassess link Nick mentioned and as Nick said best to go general plumber route.

all the best

Kev

VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services

Hey Mate, als well on the sunny south coast, hows sunny Surrey looking mate..

We must speak soon, not much happening on the SS front yet is there..

Speak soon...... SEA Temp off Bognor 17 Degrees.... Bloody hot as a snakes ass.....:laugh:

Cheers Mate Nick..

Archived