Nice places to live in Tasmania

Guest Jasp

Hi

Can anyone tell me where (price-depending of course) the nicest places are to live in Tasmania. Are there any to avoid without being unkind to anyone who lives nearby to them. Just want to know where to begin our search when we arrive. Or now as we are looking for rentals.

many thanks

Jasp

That is a hard one!

I am in Hobart in the southern suburbs as are a lot of Brits.

The area is called Kingborough and has beaches, shops, good schools, some rural areas etc, it is a developing areas.

Most people aviod the northern suburbs but not all of them depends what you want.

Went up to Launceston and there are beutiful houses up there, very green also at the mo.

Beach at least 45 mind away though.

Good thing about hobart is the water is close by plus we get the added advantage of snow on mount wellington!

Why is it that the North always seems a place to avoid (LOL). It was the same in Adelaide but there are some beautiful places to live 'up there'. Thank you for the information. Regards

Jasp

Hi

Can anyone tell me where (price-depending of course) the nicest places are to live in Tasmania. Are there any to avoid without being unkind to anyone who lives nearby to them. Just want to know where to begin our search when we arrive. Or now as we are looking for rentals.

many thanks

Jasp

There are areas worth considering all over Tasmania, but it depends what you define as "nice". What features in particular are you looking for in a place to live and will you be limited by work options, ie. do you have a job to come to or will you have to search for one after arrival? What sort of commute time would be acceptable for getting to work?

Do you have children and will choice of schooling be an important criterion for you?

Hi.

Thanks Skani and Deborah for your replies. See what you mean. Travelling isn't really a problem for us - we are used to half an hour (or more) travelling time to work. Looks like it maybe The Royal Hobart where we will end up working. We don't have any children (well we do but they are all adults now and have all flown the nest). Everyone's idea of nice is different so that's maybe a hard one to define, I'll admit. Features? Nice views, pleasant surrounding, doesn't have to be by a beach, but not in an area considered dodgy (having lived in Australia before we aren't naieve enough to think that there aren't dodgy places wherever you go. Thanks for making me think it out a little more.

Jasp

Nice views everywhere in Hobart - one advantage of the hilly topography! Given your preferences I would look first at the area south from the CBD, from South Hobart through Sandy Bay, Mt. Nelson, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay (depending on your budget). Or Howrah and Tranmere north to Lindisfarne on the eastern shore. Areas to avoid are those which were established as broadacre Housing Commission developments and have more than their fair share of social problems - Bridgewater, Gagebrook, Risdon Vale, Rokeby, Clarendon Vale and Warrane, all on the eastern shore . Some of the northern suburbs such as Glenorchy and Moonah are quite industrial and not so pleasant for living (IMHO). The suburbs north of the bridge can also be subject to a river fog called the "Bridgewater Jerry" which rolls down the valley in winter and can make the winter mornings colder than in other suburbs.

Guest sarahaso

great very helpful as we have been looking at Kingston Blackmans bay etc for when we move down soon

Guest siamsusie
Hi

many thanks

Jasp

Hi Jasp, I think most of the members have given their honest views and I am sure you will find your piece of paradise down south.

Up here in the north we are also on the River Tamar which is a real beauty, near the mountains with amazing resorts and skiing (Cradle Mountain & Ben Lomond) St Helen's on the east coast approx 2 hrs 20mins away (the warmer part of Tassie)...

There is so much to see on this wonderful island, hopefully you wont get bored.

:wubclub:Susie

• 2 months later...
Guest SunshineSmile
Loads of us Brits in that area! It is my favourite place.

Hi Deborah,

I see your on line so wil take advantage of that to say hi! :jiggy:

Absorbing all things Tasmanian this last few weeks.. I have an interview Wednesday nite for a post at the Royal Hobart.. very excited!

This has taken us by surprise completely, we were aiming for Queensland but have been lured in by the beauty of Tasmania and I think it looks like a place we could be very happy in.. and I feel there could be lots of opportunity for us there.

Do you have any knowledge of the Royal?

Thanks... Steph :chatterbox:

Guest bedabed

Hi there, we are thinking of the Northern territory or Victoria for migration. I was looking at their websites for sponsorship, anyone gone through the same channels, anything I should be aware of, any pitfalls etc any advice is welcome as the whole visa is like a minefield!!!

Thanks in advance

Nicky

Do you have any knowledge of the Royal?

Just butting in - hope you don't mind!

I'm not in the medical profession but speaking from the view of the general public...

Like all public hospitals in Australia the Royal is very busy and underfunded.

It's particular problem is that it has grown like topsy on an inner city site and really needs to be rebuilt from new on a greenfields site. There has been some planning for this, but it has now stalled and I'm not sure it will ever happen.

However, I never hear anything but praise about the staff and the job they do, despite the limitations above.

Guest SunshineSmile
Just butting in - hope you don't mind!

I'm not in the medical profession but speaking from the view of the general public...

Like all public hospitals in Australia the Royal is very busy and underfunded.

It's particular problem is that it has grown like topsy on an inner city site and really needs to be rebuilt from new on a greenfields site. There has been some planning for this, but it has now stalled and I'm not sure it will ever happen.

However, I never hear anything but praise about the staff and the job they do, despite the limitations above.

Thanks Skani, I appreciate the input. Apparently funding from the new Government has been promised.. so will look at that positively. The important thing for me to know is it a nice place to work.. it would appear so from all i have learned and thats whats important to me. I have never, in my whole nursing career worked in a large inner city hospital that was not busy and underfunded :wideeyed: so, Id be well used to that scenario!

Interview tomorrow nite at 11pm. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie
Thanks Skani, I appreciate the input. Apparently funding from the new Government has been promised.. so will look at that positively. The important thing for me to know is it a nice place to work.. it would appear so from all i have learned and thats whats important to me. I have never, in my whole nursing career worked in a large inner city hospital that was not busy and underfunded :wideeyed: so, Id be well used to that scenario!

Interview tomorrow nite at 11pm. Fingers crossed!

Thrilled the interview went well, I am very excited you will be coming on over S.Smile. :hug:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest claireandmark
Hi.

Thanks Skani and Deborah for your replies. See what you mean. Travelling isn't really a problem for us - we are used to half an hour (or more) travelling time to work. Looks like it maybe The Royal Hobart where we will end up working. We don't have any children (well we do but they are all adults now and have all flown the nest). Everyone's idea of nice is different so that's maybe a hard one to define, I'll admit. Features? Nice views, pleasant surrounding, doesn't have to be by a beach, but not in an area considered dodgy (having lived in Australia before we aren't naieve enough to think that there aren't dodgy places wherever you go. Thanks for making me think it out a little more.

Jasp

If Traveling is not a problem for you Check out Opposum Bay or if you like to be by the sea Seven Mile Beach is a great place to live

• 3 months later...

Archived