Dependent 18yo dilema.

Pozz

My partners daughter has just finished college and is 18. At present she is dependent and still classed as in the education system I believe.

Im hoping to apply for our 457 visa soon (as long as I have a successfull interview). So I hope to be able to add her as a dependent.

My concern is if diac say she is 18 and has finished education so no longer is she dependent.

If this happens what options do we have?

Can she get a WHV initially to join us?

Any ideas?

Hi there,

Sorry I don't know about DIAC's policy re 18yr olds...

I'm assuming she doesn't want to attend Uni? If she does, bear in mind it will be very expensive for her in Australia, you may find it cheaper in the UK, even with flights to Australia to visit every holiday. She could then get a WHV when she finishes, and after that maybe a skilled/employer/family sponsored visa.

If she does want to attend Uni/further education in australia, she is still in full time education so should still count as a dependent, otherwise she could maybe come out on a student visa.

If she's not going to uni/further education, she could come out on a WHV initially, but not sure what visa she could go onto after that, could be an issue, unless she's training towards an occupation on the skilled list. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Good luck!

RockDr

Hi there,

oh boy do I feel for you as we are in the same position. I have a now 18 yr old stepdaughter who stayed in uk to finish her education. I didnt initially include her on my 457 as I was (wrongly) advised that we all had to enter Australia together and that I could add her to 457 when she was due to come out.. this I did but was told that if i did this then she couldnt work as she was 'dependant' on us.. however at 18 and we are applying for PR then she would have to work at some point. I was then advised to get her a WHV which she now has and add her onto our PR visa. This I am now doing but still unsure if she will be accepted as she has a WHV. She does intend to go to UNI so hopefully she can then get a student visa..

Anyhoo.... if you are adding her as a dependant you have to prove that she is dependant on you for food, lodgings and clothing, as she has been in full time education then you should be able to do that, however if she has been working part time then they may say she is independant, but as you are all travelling together as a family I think you may be ok but please check this out. My advice is to call DIAC or contact Australia House or even a migration agent. I must admit every time I call DIAC I come off the phone more confused that ever lol...

I really wish you all the best with this as its been a huge worry and headache for us but at least you are all in the same country to start with. I do know that everyone included in your initiall 457 is eligable to work so fingers crossed this will be fine.

This is a muddly reply ... sorry

Lynne

Archived