plumbing& heating engineer what to do

Guest philandbecks

• 8 months later...
Guest mdeejacks

hello all,

does anyone know what the paper based vetassess for plumbing entails.

it's $600 so must invlove a lot i would have thought

cheers for any info

Hello Jacks

Paper based is just to see if you meet the criteria to move on to Practical so basicaly a history on your experience and the work you have done.

there are about 8 catergoreys and you tell them what ones you have experience in and what you done on the job.

If i remember its like one will be on sanitary work,,another on fusion welding...others on Gas and also fire systems.

you put down what you have done and read up on the rest so you can say you dont have experience in say fire systems (as i did not have) but you have read up on them and can answer questions on it if need be.

Mine was a while ago but am sure someone who done it recently can tell you more and will be along soon.

Good luck

Kev

hello all,

does anyone know what the paper based vetassess for plumbing entails.

it's $600 so must invlove a lot i would have thought

cheers for any info

Guest mdeejacks

hello Kev,

can you remember how you explained jobs in detail when they only give you a small section to write up jobs. also some of the jobs for example under water systems state "be able to install and commission various domestic water supply, treatment and heating systems."

do you only need to concentrate on one of these tasks while stating you have experience in the others.

I have started to write up a job I did for a heating issue where I work and what I did to rectify it.

would this be enough

any info would be great

cheers

jack

hello Kev,

can you remember how you explained jobs in detail when they only give you a small section to write up jobs. also some of the jobs for example under water systems state "be able to install and commission various domestic water supply, treatment and heating systems."

do you only need to concentrate on one of these tasks while stating you have experience in the others.

I have started to write up a job I did for a heating issue where I work and what I did to rectify it.

would this be enough

any info would be great

cheers

jack

Hey Jack

I ended up putting as much info as i could in the small box they provide but then also on separate sheets and wrote if they needed more to then refer to attached sheets.

Gave then the option and i thought less chance of them asking for more and it delaying things.

As for the supply, treatment, and heating systems i think i wrote about installing many heating systems and also bathrooms, went into my order of works and the kind of tools i used.

never went into too much detail but just enough so they knew i was in the game.

in all truth i dont think it is that hard to get past the paper test if you have done a fair bit of plumbing, we dont all know everything and i dont think they expect that but they want to see you are worth the practical and not sand bagging i guess.

After all, we have to pay them for the test so to turn too many down from doing the practical would not be good for thier bank accounts.

Must say i never experienced any probs with them so just do your best on the form and im sure it will be fine.

If i can help anytime just let me know.

All the best

Kev

Guest mdeejacks

hi kev,

i've started righting them up but feel i'm waffling a bit. i've sent one off to agent today to see if she thinks the same. no reply yet. thanks for your advice. i'll be in tpouch again no doubt as i need all the help i can get.

cheers

jack

Hey Jack

Good stuff mate, I felt that it was better to send too much and they can pick a choose if and what they want to read,

I would just fire and forget, send it off and see what happens, im sure you will be fine.

Let us know how you get on and if i can help any time just get in touch.

All the best

Kev

hi kev,

i've started righting them up but feel i'm waffling a bit. i've sent one off to agent today to see if she thinks the same. no reply yet. thanks for your advice. i'll be in tpouch again no doubt as i need all the help i can get.

cheers

jack

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I've just came across this topic and it is proving very insightful. I currrently work for BG have done so for 9 years now. I'm a breakdown engineer doing mainly repairs and heating upgrades. I have experience with installation of all gas appliance and unvented hot water. I'm in th eprocess of completing my TRA assessment forms and not sure just how much detail i need to go into regarding my day to day job etc. Also i have got a feeling that Bg will only give me a standard reference as they are arseholes deep down as we all know. Do you guys have any pointers for me.

Guest jak2503
Hi Guys

I've just came across this topic and it is proving very insightful. I currrently work for BG have done so for 9 years now. I'm a breakdown engineer doing mainly repairs and heating upgrades. I have experience with installation of all gas appliance and unvented hot water. I'm in th eprocess of completing my TRA assessment forms and not sure just how much detail i need to go into regarding my day to day job etc. Also i have got a feeling that Bg will only give me a standard reference as they are arseholes deep down as we all know. Do you guys have any pointers for me.

hi, i had the same problem with bg, the manpower side will only give you a reference saying how long you have been emloyed, i typed up a sheet on bg headed paper detailing everything i did during my work, i went into to much detail but it did the trick.

good luck.

Guest mdeejacks

hello all,

i put down jobs which i have lots of experience in and some which i have not. i even stated that i did not have much experience in some and my case worker seemed to think that was ok.

i wrote anything from an A4 sheet full to 20 lines on an A4 sheet, done as a word document.

put as much info down as possible, even listing the tools used.

as i said i felt like i was waffling but it all seems ok.

cheers

jack

Guest mdeejacks
Hey Jack

Good stuff mate, I felt that it was better to send too much and they can pick a choose if and what they want to read,

I would just fire and forget, send it off and see what happens, im sure you will be fine.

All the best

Kev

hello kev,

case worker thinks i did well with write ups. wait and see is vetassess think the same

cheers

jack

hiu guys... i can see your talking about vetassess, I am doing mine with TRA as that what is listed under gas fitter. I'm not sure just how much I need to write, I've basically written about core safety safety, pressure testing, flues and ventilation and the tools used. I've then written about gas pipework installation using copper and solder/compression and the use of steel/iron pipes using threaded joints and jointing compounds. i've then gone on to list all my acs qualification and expanded on how i carry out this type of work below is an example of the core gas safety section i jave wrote up.... see what you think and comment ifyou can. I feel like i am baffling, be so much easier to have sit down interview or sit an exam!!

I have full knowledge of current legislation and approved codes of practices. I am able to install domestic gas pipework with copper pipe and soldered fittings using a butane blow lamp and wire lead or lead free solder, iron/steal pipes and fittings using threaded joints with jointing compounds with the use of the correct pipe pliers to hold the pipe while making the joints or cutting the thread. Once pipework is installed I can pressure test the installation using air and a manometer to ensure the pipework installation is gas tight. I'm aware of best practices to install gas pipework in accessible ducts in floors and walls not using compression fittings.

I am able to install and test the operation of flueing systems for natural draught/open installations using the industry standard smoke pellets. I can select and install the required ventilation grills in the walls, windows or floor depending on the requirements. I am able to calculate ventilation requirements on the basis of heat input to the appliances and calculate already installed ventilation provisions using vent probe tool and a tape measure.

I test gas installations periodically and when required by law for gas tightness using the test points normally on the billing meter. This is done using an electrical manometer or water gauge manometer.

I have spoken to my service manager at work and explained a standard reference if not good enough, he is very supportive and has said he will speak to the HR manager if the reference that I have requested doesnt come back with enough information on it, he has also said he will write me a personal work reference which is normally not done at bg. I just want to get my tra assessment done asap so i can put my visa application in and get to austrlia on my working holiday visa. hopefully then the residency visa would come through before the 2 working holiday visa is completed.

• 1 month later...
Guest zildogh

I've been looking at emigrating to oz, but when looking at the trade set site it will only let me go as a plumber, i am more of a gas engineer/fitter with british gas (service & breakdown) which is on the wanted list. So i do not have some of the skills a plumber may have. Do i need to apply as a plumber as on the trade set site, or as a gas engineer/fitter? And if i need to apply as a plumber then how would that work as i'm not really a plumber. Some of the skills it asks for on the trade set site i do not have, does this matter as i'm a gas engineer/fitter? I'm a bit confused over this? Can anyone explain please? I've tried emailing TRA but they just direct me back to the site?

Also if i was to get a sponsored job before i go over, would i still need to do the TRA etc etc.

Guest mdeejacks
I've been looking at emigrating to oz, but when looking at the trade set site it will only let me go as a plumber, i am more of a gas engineer/fitter with british gas (service & breakdown) which is on the wanted list. So i do not have some of the skills a plumber may have. Do i need to apply as a plumber as on the trade set site, or as a gas engineer/fitter? And if i need to apply as a plumber then how would that work as i'm not really a plumber. Some of the skills it asks for on the trade set site i do not have, does this matter as i'm a gas engineer/fitter? I'm a bit confused over this? Can anyone explain please? I've tried emailing TRA but they just direct me back to the site?

Also if i was to get a sponsored job before i go over, would i still need to do the TRA etc etc.

Hello zildogh,

i can answer some of your questions but not all. I am working as a gas engineer in a maintenance environment. this is called something different in oz, they call them maintenance technicians, as gas fitter is more geared up for laying larger pipework in the road. is this what you do?? as for the plumbing side of things I have done the vetassess practical and that was stressful in the lead up to it but in reality I wasted my time worrying. all in all it was easy, anything you don't know just read up a bit before hand.

when you do the TRA just try to be as detailed in the job write ups even if you don't have a lot of experience in it. certainly in your position you should choose the gas part. don't worry about the roofing bit and the underground drainage as they are aware that plumbers in this country don't do that.

so, I would definitely choose plumbing, they will ask if you can prove that you have 12 months in the last 24 of experience to gain some points. I was able to prove that I have been employed as a plumber for the last 10 years as I am not time served.

not sure about the sponsor bit as I am not doing that. I am trying to get a state sponsor. when I started out they were looking for general plumbers in WA, VIC, TAS and NT. have applied for WA and am waiting for their response.

good luck

jack

Guest mdeejacks
Hey Jack

All the best

Kev

Hello Kev,

just to let you know I passed my practical, got the result back on Tuesday last week and already trying to get state sponsor. It has been passed through to an assessor which is really quick. my agent thinks I may even get a result next week looking good for getting my visa lodge before 1st july

thanks for your help before

jack:biggrin:

Guest zildogh

Hi jack

Thanks for the reply. I don't lay pipework in the road etc. I service boilers, warm air units, central heating systems etc, and repair these also. Eg combi, open vented, un vented, condensing boilers, and am qualified to do installations aswell. Would they class this as a maintenance technician in oz, and not a gas fitter as you were saying?

I heard that in oz instead of using compression/soldered fittings they weld the copper piping together? So am expecting a few changes to day to day working practices etc.

Guest mdeejacks
Hi jack

Thanks for the reply. I don't lay pipework in the road etc. I service boilers, warm air units, central heating systems etc, and repair these also. Eg combi, open vented, un vented, condensing boilers, and am qualified to do installations aswell. Would they class this as a maintenance technician in oz, and not a gas fitter as you were saying?

I heard that in oz instead of using compression/soldered fittings they weld the copper piping together? So am expecting a few changes to day to day working practices etc.

Hello Z,

yes you would be a maintenance technician. it's basically what i have been doing and they will ask if you have a track record of working in the trade, In oz plumbing seems to know no bounds as they are expected to know about welding, roofing, underground drainage, brazing. by the way the practical if you are going to take it london is soldered.

you do exactly what i do really and that is ok to say you do that sort of stuff. if you can also say that you are working on hot and cold systems then thst will go a long way.

any more questions and i'll answer them gladly. i was where you were only 3 months ago and i'm looking to lodge main visa app within 2 weeks

cheers

jack

Hello Jack

Awesome mate well done :wink: well pleased for you, now for your state sponsorship bit, Again i have no doubt you will be sponsored, then bang in that app and off you go.

Nice one mate well done and thanks for letting me know.

Keep the good news coming.

Take care

Kev

Hello Kev,

just to let you know I passed my practical, got the result back on Tuesday last week and already trying to get state sponsor. It has been passed through to an assessor which is really quick. my agent thinks I may even get a result next week looking good for getting my visa lodge before 1st july

thanks for your help before

jack:biggrin:

Guest jak2503
Hello Z,

yes you would be a maintenance technician. it's basically what i have been doing and they will ask if you have a track record of working in the trade, In oz plumbing seems to know no bounds as they are expected to know about welding, roofing, underground drainage, brazing. by the way the practical if you are going to take it london is soldered.

you do exactly what i do really and that is ok to say you do that sort of stuff. if you can also say that you are working on hot and cold systems then thst will go a long way.

any more questions and i'll answer them gladly. i was where you were only 3 months ago and i'm looking to lodge main visa app within 2 weeks

cheers

jack

i disagree, in aus he would be called a gas fitter, he would be employed by a plumbing and gas company possibly on new builds and maintinance, he would run track pipe for gas on new builds or copper gas runs, and he would service and maintain gas appliances along with solar and air source heat pumps and electric units, all of which are unvented, this is exactly what he does now for british gas. you do have maint techs but his job is more gas fitter in aus,

jay.

Guest mdeejacks
i disagree, in aus he would be called a gas fitter, he would be employed by a plumbing and gas company possibly on new builds and maintinance, he would run track pipe for gas on new builds or copper gas runs, and he would service and maintain gas appliances along with solar and air source heat pumps and electric units, all of which are unvented, this is exactly what he does now for british gas. you do have maint techs but his job is more gas fitter in aus,

jay.

Hi Jay,

this differs from the information given to myself about the same issue. I was told to pursue the general plumber route as they would not regognise my gas although I have domestic and commercial gas under my belt. Maybe because of my age the decided to go down the plumbing route as I could gain more points that way through experience.

i suhhest he speaks to an agent to get free advice, what do you think?

cheers

jack

Guest jak2503
Hi Jay,

this differs from the information given to myself about the same issue. I was told to pursue the general plumber route as they would not regognise my gas although I have domestic and commercial gas under my belt. Maybe because of my age the decided to go down the plumbing route as I could gain more points that way through experience.

i suhhest he speaks to an agent to get free advice, what do you think?

cheers

jack

yeah to be fair i partialy agree with you, problem i found was that when i applied you had to do a trade test for plumbing (vettasses) we were told that without it you could not get a plumbing licence in aus, this was not correct, upon arrival in aus all you needed was a city and guilds plumbing cert and you still only got a provisional licence, however you need the skills test for immigration, i could have done the gas route through tra and not had the hassle of a trade test and still got a provisional plumbing licence in aus, i felt that vettasses was just a money making tool, i met loads of blokes who had come out through there wifes ect on a hairdressing visa who got there prov licence no probs. dont get me started on qld licensing and the upgrade course because thats another pain in the arse. even the gas lisence in aus has changed, i got mine after walking in the dept of mines and having a brew with a inspector, now you have to do a college course just to get that. anyway good luck to all now starting on their journey.

• 1 month later...
yeah to be fair i partialy agree with you, problem i found was that when i applied you had to do a trade test for plumbing (vettasses) we were told that without it you could not get a plumbing licence in aus, this was not correct, upon arrival in aus all you needed was a city and guilds plumbing cert and you still only got a provisional licence, however you need the skills test for immigration, i could have done the gas route through tra and not had the hassle of a trade test and still got a provisional plumbing licence in aus, i felt that vettasses was just a money making tool, i met loads of blokes who had come out through there wifes ect on a hairdressing visa who got there prov licence no probs. dont get me started on qld licensing and the upgrade course because thats another pain in the arse. even the gas lisence in aus has changed, i got mine after walking in the dept of mines and having a brew with a inspector, now you have to do a college course just to get that. anyway good luck to all now starting on their journey.

Hi Jak2503

I am just away to apply for the plumbing skills assessment but was thinking of going down the gas fitter route instead as I have 14 years experience in plumbing and gas and full quals in both. I see that the gas assessment is a lot cheaper and less hassle as no practical test. Do you think it would be better to apply as gas fitter?

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Guest julie09
hiu guys... i can see your talking about vetassess, I am doing mine with TRA as that what is listed under gas fitter. I'm not sure just how much I need to write, I've basically written about core safety safety, pressure testing, flues and ventilation and the tools used. I've then written about gas pipework installation using copper and solder/compression and the use of steel/iron pipes using threaded joints and jointing compounds. i've then gone on to list all my acs qualification and expanded on how i carry out this type of work below is an example of the core gas safety section i jave wrote up.... see what you think and comment ifyou can. I feel like i am baffling, be so much easier to have sit down interview or sit an exam!!

I have full knowledge of current legislation and approved codes of practices. I am able to install domestic gas pipework with copper pipe and soldered fittings using a butane blow lamp and wire lead or lead free solder, iron/steal pipes and fittings using threaded joints with jointing compounds with the use of the correct pipe pliers to hold the pipe while making the joints or cutting the thread. Once pipework is installed I can pressure test the installation using air and a manometer to ensure the pipework installation is gas tight. I'm aware of best practices to install gas pipework in accessible ducts in floors and walls not using compression fittings.

I am able to install and test the operation of flueing systems for natural draught/open installations using the industry standard smoke pellets. I can select and install the required ventilation grills in the walls, windows or floor depending on the requirements. I am able to calculate ventilation requirements on the basis of heat input to the appliances and calculate already installed ventilation provisions using vent probe tool and a tape measure.

I test gas installations periodically and when required by law for gas tightness using the test points normally on the billing meter. This is done using an electrical manometer or water gauge manometer.

I have spoken to my service manager at work and explained a standard reference if not good enough, he is very supportive and has said he will speak to the HR manager if the reference that I have requested doesnt come back with enough information on it, he has also said he will write me a personal work reference which is normally not done at bg. I just want to get my tra assessment done asap so i can put my visa application in and get to austrlia on my working holiday visa. hopefully then the residency visa would come through before the 2 working holiday visa is completed.

Hi mdmx33

Can you tell me if you passed the application with TRA? We were going to apply through the gas route as i have as much experience in gas repairs, servicing and maintanance as i do plumbing but we read on there website that gas fitters must have experience in mains gas pipes which only the likes of transco guys would have in the uk. I would rather go for the gas application as its less hassle and a lot cheaper but not sure if i would meet there criteria? Thanks

Guest julie09

Hi mdmx33

Can you tell me if you passed the application with TRA? We were going to apply through the gas route as i have as much experience in gas repairs, servicing and maintanance as i do plumbing but we read on there website that gas fitters must have experience in mains gas pipes which only the likes of transco guys would have in the uk. I would rather go for the gas application as its less hassle and a lot cheaper but not sure if i would meet there criteria? Thanks

Archived