Another ping pong story

20yrspommie

We moved back to the UK last Aug ,family of three , with car, dog etc but have decided to move back to OZ . I really dont want to put anyone off and mine is just another story and I read plenty of others before embarking on this decision so if it helps at all here goes:

We left Australia after 20yrs , with one son 12 we were mostly happy there but over the years often felt like would like to live again in the UK mostly because of family there but also missing the usual stuff , like the culture and history , being close to Europe, lovely countryside etc.

Its such a hard decision but finally timing seemed right with a good exchange rate and son about to go to HS it seemed a good time to finally make the move.

We moved to a lovely house in a very pretty village but we all so miss Australia, our friends and the lifestyle we had there. I personally feel that it is really hard to start over after 20yrs , we do have friends here and family who have been fantastic and really tried so hard and we tried too , went to social events in the village and joined local cricket and football clubs , it just hasnt worked out . The main reason overall though is the job situation it is so bad here and without regular employment too hard and that soon overtakes everything else

Maybe it would have been different if we had moved back a few years ago when things were not so bad here and our son was still in Primary as he has struggled here - I thought 12 was okay but I really underestimated how established he was at school with friends and activities here he is spending lots of time on his own .

I am glad we came as I especially always wanted too and I have really enjoyed spending lots of family time but in the end its not enough to keep living here , at least we tried so it has answered that feeling once and for all

Have sold our house and now starting the whole process again - but I will always come back as lots to like about the Uk but a visit will do in future:arghh:

Thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you have made the right decision - it's great that you were able to come back and see for yourself rather than maybe having to think "what if?" but I think you're right - it gets harder the longer you stay somewhere because you build your life there and that's where your roots are.

Also great that you don't regret having tried it - that's the only way we find things out! :cute:

Hope the process of moving back isn't too hard!

We moved back to the UK last Aug ,family of three , with car, dog etc but have decided to move back to OZ . I really dont want to put anyone off and mine is just another story and I read plenty of others before embarking on this decision so if it helps at all here goes:

We left Australia after 20yrs , with one son 12 we were mostly happy there but over the years often felt like would like to live again in the UK mostly because of family there but also missing the usual stuff , like the culture and history , being close to Europe, lovely countryside etc.

Its such a hard decision but finally timing seemed right with a good exchange rate and son about to go to HS it seemed a good time to finally make the move.

We moved to a lovely house in a very pretty village but we all so miss Australia, our friends and the lifestyle we had there. I personally feel that it is really hard to start over after 20yrs , we do have friends here and family who have been fantastic and really tried so hard and we tried too , went to social events in the village and joined local cricket and football clubs , it just hasnt worked out . The main reason overall though is the job situation it is so bad here and without regular employment too hard and that soon overtakes everything else

Maybe it would have been different if we had moved back a few years ago when things were not so bad here and our son was still in Primary as he has struggled here - I thought 12 was okay but I really underestimated how established he was at school with friends and activities here he is spending lots of time on his own .

I am glad we came as I especially always wanted too and I have really enjoyed spending lots of family time but in the end its not enough to keep living here , at least we tried so it has answered that feeling once and for all

Have sold our house and now starting the whole process again - but I will always come back as lots to like about the Uk but a visit will do in future:arghh:

Hi there- this is exactly the same for us but in reverse! We moved to Oz in January -my Aussie husband has been away from australia for over 20 years and all his family are here. We wanted extended family for our 3 young children as we had none in theUK. The family here are amazin but we really miss our lovely life we had in the UK and my Aussie husband feels more English than Australian.

We had a great life in the UK but sold everything to come here- we are heading back end of August so the kids can get back into their old schools and our youngest can start there. We too are glad we tried it but we have our own life and it's not here in Oz.

Moving home seems bigger though-does moving back to Oz seem bigger for you too-leaving family is hard as well when they have just got used to having you around....good luck:hug:

Hi there- this is exactly the same for us but in reverse! We moved to Oz in January -my Aussie husband has been away from australia for over 20 years and all his family are here. We wanted extended family for our 3 young children as we had none in theUK. The family here are amazin but we really miss our lovely life we had in the UK and my Aussie husband feels more English than Australian.

We had a great life in the UK but sold everything to come here- we are heading back end of August so the kids can get back into their old schools and our youngest can start there. We too are glad we tried it but we have our own life and it's not here in Oz.

Moving home seems bigger though-does moving back to Oz seem bigger for you too-leaving family is hard as well when they have just got used to having you around....good luck:hug:

HI

Thanks for your good luck , in some ways it does seem bigger but as we havent settled here I feel like I am going home as like you we have our life to go back to in Australia at least this time i know what to expect and I feel like I know the process as having so recently gone through it and I already have done all the decluttering etc. Last time I packed so many boxes myself and got very stressed with all we had to do , this time I am going to enjoy the last couple of months with family and let the packers do all the work:biggrin:

Hi 20yrspommie,

I was actually back in the UK in August last year (holiday) when i read your post that you had left and where at Singapore? airport on your way home. I have often looked to see if there were any updates as we are in a similar situation as you. 22 years in Melbourne, parents came 15 years ago with my married brother, his wife and son. All of a sudden i want to go home, not 100% but it is in my mind most days. As i said i have often looked to see how you are going, as it would be a huge adjustment after all those years. Well what a surprise today to see your post. Not surprised to see you are comming backas everytime i speak to people back home they tell me how bad the work situation is. I know work is not everything, but being able to get work fairly easily in Oz i just don't know how people would adjust to the shortage of work over there. Anyway, still thinking ourselves everyday, maybe we will go for 12 months to get it out of the system! Lovely to read you do not regret going, but good luck with your move back to Oz. I think from memory you were in Sydney, will you head back there?

Joy

Sorry it didnt work out for you guys - it must be hard when you have a child especially who doesnt settle, and I guess that cuts both ways. At least you have made the decision sooner rather than later and maybe that should be the moral for people who think they need to give Australia more time when it just doesnt gel - go home fast!

Sorry it didnt work out for you guys - it must be hard when you have a child especially who doesnt settle, and I guess that cuts both ways. At least you have made the decision sooner rather than later and maybe that should be the moral for people who think they need to give Australia more time when it just doesnt gel - go home fast!

Absolutely Quoll-even my Daughter's grade 2 teacher has been grilling her as to why we are going back and saying we haven't given it enough time- but she such a 'True Blue' she sould have a corked hat- you just don't need the hassle...

Tbanks - it was hard for him he was so keen as well and has had to put up with alot of racist stuff at school which we didnt anticipate at all - but I guess it would have sorted itself out and he would have settled in with more time but it was the job situation that was more despressing and for us not having recent Uk experience hasnt helped. Again if we wernt in the middle of a recession and there were more jobs available it would have been different but that was not our experience . We are heading back to Sydney which we know and is home to us , hopefully when we retire we can head back for longer in different circumstances

Tbanks - it was hard for him he was so keen as well and has had to put up with alot of racist stuff at school which we didnt anticipate at all - but I guess it would have sorted itself out and he would have settled in with more time but it was the job situation that was more despressing and for us not having recent Uk experience hasnt helped. Again if we wernt in the middle of a recession and there were more jobs available it would have been different but that was not our experience . We are heading back to Sydney which we know and is home to us , hopefully when we retire we can head back for longer in different circumstances

Good luck to you:hug:

Archived