Champion ping pong pom

Guest Count Zero

Guest Count Zero

Are we the champion ping pong poms? can anyone beat this? 4 times in 10 years.

2000-2002 QLD

2002-2005 UK

2005-2007 QLD

2007-2008 UK

2008-2009 QLD

2009-2010 UK

2010-???? QLD again maybe soon!!!!

Bet you can't!!!!:goofy:

Guest guest37336

Hi Mate.

1980 - 1981 WA

1981 - 1991 UK

1991 - 1992 WA

1992 - 1995 UK

1995 - 1996 QLD

1996 - 1998 UK

1998 - 2001 QLD

2001 - 2003 UK

2003 - 2007 QLD

2007 - 2008 UK

2008 - 2009 QLD

2009 - Presently UK

UK Present - Qld, WA, NT, who knows.

In between around 5 'extended' 'holidays' to Australia, all over, backpacking/camping etc adding up to about a further seven or eight years I guess. Hasn't been easy going backwards and forwards. Sometimes of my own making, sometimes not, such is life I guess mate.

How do you find yourself coping with it mate. Do you reckon you will keep ping ponging until the day you die or have you had enough yet.

Cheers Tony.

Guest Count Zero

Blimey!! I thought I was a dead cert to win that one!!

I really hope that we do settle but I'm worried that I may have Gypsy blood or something.

Its got to the stage where we only buy things that can be moved easily!! we never get anything on contract and I can't ever remember my phone number because we've had that many.

2000-2002 QLD

2002-2005 UK

2005-2007 QLD

2007-2008 UK

2008-2009 QLD

2009-2010 UK

Hi there wow, why do you do it...do you just love both places or do you get bored-must cost you a bomb. The first time you went back did you even consider that you would come back here. Do you have kids? I find the whole pingponging his facinating.

Wonder if anyone that leaves Australia becasue they really really don't like it here (like us) end up pingponging back..

Guest Count Zero

We have three young kids all school age one of them born in QLD. We've always been unlucky with work in QLD and moved back to UK when work dried up. I never wanted to be out of work so we moved rather than hung around on the dole.

It has cost a fortune and been quite stressful at times but its also been alot of fun. My kids also seem to have enjoyed it. I feel like I have lived four peoples lives! We also have so many friends in both countries so maybe its been worth the money.

We have three young kids all school age one of them born in QLD. We've always been unlucky with work in QLD and moved back to UK when work dried up. I never wanted to be out of work so we moved rather than hung around on the dole.

It has cost a fortune and been quite stressful at times but its also been alot of fun. My kids also seem to have enjoyed it. I feel like I have lived four peoples lives! We also have so many friends in both countries so maybe its been worth the money.

Well you've cetainly got the right attitude good for you:smile:

• 1 month later...

Bloody Oath Mate!! All these have made me feel a lot better about going back to Oz for the first time (or the second if you count the original idea to emigrate!!) Thanks - that's really cheered me up.

Jasp

2000-2002 QLD

2002-2005 UK

2005-2007 QLD

2007-2008 UK

2008-2009 QLD

2009-2010 UK

OMG Do you have an account with Quantas or Singapore Air,,lol

Can i ask what makes you ping pong? is there anything specific that kicks off the need to return to the UK? and anything particular that makes you want to come back again/ leave UK?

What do you do with your furniture and everything each time? lol

Cal x

Guest Count Zero
OMG Do you have an account with Quantas or Singapore Air,,lol

Can i ask what makes you ping pong? is there anything specific that kicks off the need to return to the UK? and anything particular that makes you want to come back again/ leave UK?

What do you do with your furniture and everything each time? lol

Cal x

If it wont fit in a 20 foot container I sell it. The biggest loss is on selling cars.

We ping pong for a variety of reasons. Sometimes for work sometimes just fancy living back in Blighty for a while. Lucky we have the choice eh?

Guest famousfive

This is my 6th time living in australia,also did 2 different stints in england.Lived in ireland between times.Gypsy blood my mother reckons.We left all our furniture etc in oz after the first time and have used it every time we lived here[family have a large storage shed].Storing irish furniture at moms so we have it when we return.Will sell aus stuff on leaving this time though as we will not be returning here to live,holidays only from now on.

Guest mirry

Hiya

How do you find the energy to move so often? We are thinking of moving back to UK but the hassle keeps putting me off. Esp the bureaucracy.

Mirry

Guest smileykylie

you have made me feel a little better about not being able to settle!!! (i am an aussie who lived in the uk for seven years and have been back for 7 months and am struggling!)

We are used to pingpongers here, I have met several over the years, and I always smile about it, but sometimes it's not funny as if children are born here then it is harder to return depending on the children's ages, and they can be unsettled. If it's all a big adventure, then so be it.

Guest Count Zero
Hiya

How do you find the energy to move so often? We are thinking of moving back to UK but the hassle keeps putting me off. Esp the bureaucracy.

Mirry

Its sort of like climbing up a huge mountain. You have to prepare, its hastle and tough but you want the challange and you know when you get to the top the view will be awesome! Then you reach the top and then you get bored and go back down. Then after a while you get the urge to climb again.

My wife knows someone, (and by the looks of it it could be u or ur wife if ur wife is steph?) who keeps ping ponging. Mackay or Townsville these people keep going to :-)

That's one way of looking at it. Or another is - it's all in the thrill of the chase!! Either way its very exciting. We called our experience an 'Epiphany'. It showed us something we had missed out on for years, and things will never be the same again. At least we've all got balls for trying!! I'd hate to wrok for a place for a lifetime and play safe, and then retire to watch Countdown, Murder She Wrote and that other show with Dick Van Dyke in it!! Not that I watch them!!! haha

Jasp

Guest mirry
Its sort of like climbing up a huge mountain. You have to prepare, its hastle and tough but you want the challange and you know when you get to the top the view will be awesome! Then you reach the top and then you get bored and go back down. Then after a while you get the urge to climb again.

Well you have certainly made me think again. I am quite worried that I will really miss australia if we go back , tend to think the novelty will wear off the UK after a few months as its great to be near extended family but generally I find people focus on their own lives.

But....we can always come back here:wubclub:!

Guest mirry
That's one way of looking at it. Or another is - it's all in the thrill of the chase!! Either way its very exciting. We called our experience an 'Epiphany'. It showed us something we had missed out on for years, and things will never be the same again. At least we've all got balls for trying!! I'd hate to wrok for a place for a lifetime and play safe, and then retire to watch Countdown, Murder She Wrote and that other show with Dick Van Dyke in it!! Not that I watch them!!! haha

Jasp

You are so right. I could never be contented with spending all my life in my birth town like most of my family and friends have....life is short but also long enough to live in a few different places long enough to make a few friends. Oz has been a great adventure.

Y'know Mirry

I remember telling a workmate that i was going 'home' (wherever that may be). Anyway, she said (in a booming Aussie accent and in the kindest way) "Y'know Jasp, maybe yer meant to go home and it's all part of the journey to lead to where you're eventually meant to be". Incidentally, the friends that we used to pine for when we lived in OZ, we had them over for a few wines - well, those that turned up:arghh:!! Those that did, didn't drink and were absolutely boring and disinterested:arghh:!! We even went out and bought a marquee in case it rained!! So, our friends have been dwindled down to O now (not that we won't seem them but what I'm saying is that the emotional side of things which we felt - for exactly these people when we left - and the history and attachment we had with and for them, had been completely worked through. Now we are in a very positive frame of mind to try again :jiggy:- but this time we won't feel upset or over-emotional about the people that couldn't even converse with us when we invited them over. None of them even asked about our experiences in Australia!!

That Feels better Mirry!! Thanks for 'listening'

All the best

Jasp:hug:

Guest mirry
Y'know Mirry

I remember telling a workmate that i was going 'home' (wherever that may be). Anyway, she said (in a booming Aussie accent and in the kindest way) "Y'know Jasp, maybe yer meant to go home and it's all part of the journey to lead to where you're eventually meant to be". Incidentally, the friends that we used to pine for when we lived in OZ, we had them over for a few wines - well, those that turned up:arghh:!! Those that did, didn't drink and were absolutely boring and disinterested:arghh:!! We even went out and bought a marquee in case it rained!! So, our friends have been dwindled down to O now (not that we won't seem them but what I'm saying is that the emotional side of things which we felt - for exactly these people when we left - and the history and attachment we had with and for them, had been completely worked through. Now we are in a very positive frame of mind to try again :jiggy:- but this time we won't feel upset or over-emotional about the people that couldn't even converse with us when we invited them over. None of them even asked about our experiences in Australia!!

That Feels better Mirry!! Thanks for 'listening'

All the best

Jasp:hug:

Dear Jasp

I just wrote a really long reply which I accidentally deleted!!!!

Argh

Just to say thanks,

I too have been a bit hurt when I have gone back to UK, people not asking about our lives here. Even the family. Its a bit parochial like that I think the UK. Certainly the north.

To be honest I would rather focus on my career and stuff at this stage now my kids are grown. If we go back to UK I have to be home-maker and social networker again and settling will take two years of emotional and physical energy that I would rather invest elsewhere.

I feel I have enough mates here now but will probably go back for my husband as I cant bear him being sad. The thing is I think he will realise that we ,and others in the UK, have moved on.

Rock on Poms -great site!! I should have joined sooner.

Mirry

Dear Jasp

I just wrote a really long reply which I accidentally deleted!!!!

Argh

Just to say thanks,

I too have been a bit hurt when I have gone back to UK, people not asking about our lives here. Even the family. Its a bit parochial like that I think the UK. Certainly the north.

To be honest I would rather focus on my career and stuff at this stage now my kids are grown. If we go back to UK I have to be home-maker and social networker again and settling will take two years of emotional and physical energy that I would rather invest elsewhere.

I feel I have enough mates here now but will probably go back for my husband as I cant bear him being sad. The thing is I think he will realise that we ,and others in the UK, have moved on.

Rock on Poms -great site!! I should have joined sooner.

Mirry

I can honestly say that returning to Birmingham and then to Boston (where our kids went to school and despite the latter's recent demographic changes and drug problems etc) we have both agreed that it was the worst time in the 31 years that we have been together. The feeling of 'Oh Eff - What the .... Hell have we done?!! It's taken a bit of time to get back on our feet, but we are still unsettled. We live in alovely Town just outside Lincoln and thank god that is a really nice place - worlds apart from Brum or Boston. At least that's a positive until we can get back over there. this time we won't be carrying any emotional attachment to people over here. Even family (i don't have any but my wife does and they're all washouts) We stayed at one of her rellies house for the night and were weren't even offered a meal!! Not that we expected it but when you are travelling around from hotel to hotel in the freezing cold with three suitcases, all you want is some love and understanding from those you expect to get it from. This really has helped us to realise that wherever we are we won't be getting 'choked up' on buses or at home watching telly - we won't have that romantic notion anymore about so-called loved one we've left behind. Sounds hard-nosed, but It's exactly what happened to us. We hardly see them now - they don't phone or ask how were getting on. The Bor-in-law was 50 last week. We had them up and took them riding in the Lincolnshire Wolds. We took them out on the Saturday night to a really trendy place in town and paid for the meal. All weekend it was our treat. We bought him a really expensive gift and guess what............................he must have opened it by now and he hasn't even called up to say thank you:arghh:. naahh - we won't make that mistake again.

But hey, they've done us a favour - so we have to give them thanks!! :biglaugh:haha!!

:notworthy:

Japs

Guest mirry
I can honestly say that returning to Birmingham and then to Boston (where our kids went to school and despite the latter's recent demographic changes and drug problems etc) we have both agreed that it was the worst time in the 31 years that we have been together. The feeling of 'Oh Eff - What the .... Hell have we done?!! It's taken a bit of time to get back on our feet, but we are still unsettled. We live in alovely Town just outside Lincoln and thank god that is a really nice place - worlds apart from Brum or Boston. At least that's a positive until we can get back over there. this time we won't be carrying any emotional attachment to people over here. Even family (i don't have any but my wife does and they're all washouts) We stayed at one of her rellies house for the night and were weren't even offered a meal!! Not that we expected it but when you are travelling around from hotel to hotel in the freezing cold with three suitcases, all you want is some love and understanding from those you expect to get it from. This really has helped us to realise that wherever we are we won't be getting 'choked up' on buses or at home watching telly - we won't have that romantic notion anymore about so-called loved one we've left behind. Sounds hard-nosed, but It's exactly what happened to us. We hardly see them now - they don't phone or ask how were getting on. The Bor-in-law was 50 last week. We had them up and took them riding in the Lincolnshire Wolds. We took them out on the Saturday night to a really trendy place in town and paid for the meal. All weekend it was our treat. We bought him a really expensive gift and guess what............................he must have opened it by now and he hasn't even called up to say thank you:arghh:. naahh - we won't make that mistake again.

But hey, they've done us a favour - so we have to give them thanks!! :biglaugh:haha!!

:notworthy:

Japs

I so get this, I was flabbergasted when my son (to my first marriage) and I went back for his Dad's funeral. My son was only 18 and his dad died suddenly. We arrived at Heathrow at midnight in December 2008 and not one person from my family offered to pick us up ("too much traffic") :twitcy:We ended up waiting for an hour after the flight on a freezing platform for a train full of drunks which took 4 hours to get to Sheffield. No-one apart from my brother has visited us here and only my Mum calls (monthly)however she is fairly wealthy and could visit us but always the mantra of "too much going on". Even when I suggested we meet half way for a week in Hong Kong my 2 sisters have found excuses not to.

I have 2 very good mates who keep in touch and have been out to see us but thats it really. Enough to change your whole life for????

The lads say they will go home but they have no concept of what the UK will be like. I think I will always have a kind of organic longing for my homeland but am wise enough to know thats all it is. People focus on their own lives and thats what I have learned is best to do. I'd like a place here and go to europe each year in summer with maybe a day or two in the UK. Now that would be great!:laugh:

Mirry

I just got back to OZ after a longish holiday in the UK,seeing friends,family etc.I can honestly say i did not miss OZ at all,but then again i was getting fed up with the same old routine in the UK as well!6 months about for me if and when i make my fortune eh???:wink::biggrin:

Archived