Vetassess Announcement of Continuation of Old SOL Occupations

George Lombard

Vetassess has just sent out this important announcement, which, if literally true, suggests that the new SOL is not going to bite immediately and that the DIAC transitional legislation will be humane:

RE: Applications for skills assessment received before 1 July 2010

This advice applies to skills assessments received before 1 July 2010 when the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will be introduced by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

It is expected that skills assessments for nominated occupations in the Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) will continue to be accepted for migration purposes from 1 July 2010 if the application for the skills assessment was received before 1 July 2010. This is the case even if the skills assessment was finalised after 30 June 2010 and the nominated occupation is not on the new SOL.

This is all the information available on this announcement and Monday is a holiday here, but I'm sure that clarification will be made on Tuesday. In particular, does this announcement apply only to Vetassess assessed occupations or all occupations?

Cheers,

George Lombard

DIAC yesterday confirmed that 1 July will be the start date for the new SOL. They've very helpfully suggested that people needing to apply before midnight on 30 June do so well in advance as the DIAC systems will be very busy. See What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration .

My own view is that this date is now looking too early, since the State Migration Plans should all have been well advanced by now, but indications are that DIAC has failed to reach consensus with the states about methodology - ie we could be waiting some time to see an operative SMP even in draft.

Also, the confusion among the assessing agencies as to what they're assessing people against and what transitional measures there will be is quite unacceptable. The Vetassess message sent to agents by email and pasted on its website (see post #91) is not consistent with what the Minister has been saying or what other agencies have been saying, and if even only partially true is such a complete departure from appropriate protocol, albeit a welcome one, that the whole situation is descending into farce. If Vetassess is saying that the date of application for skills assessment is going to be the cut-off for the new SOL then that needs to be a message on the DIAC site for everyone, and endorsed by the Minister.

Cheers,

George Lombard

This is such contradictory news although highly welcome if true-they said they didnt want an influx of last minute applications but on the basis of this info this is exactly what they will now get via vetassess.

So am I right that this means that although currently you cant apply for a gsm visa until 1st July if you apply for a skills assessment under vetassess prior to June 30th you can subsequently still apply under the old rules for a gsm visa after 1 July!:cool:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

I've just taken your new post from the Agents Only thread and copied it into this thread as well, because it doesn't sound to me as if the skills assessment people and DIAC really know what will happen on 30th June/1st July except that complete chaos seems more than likely!!

DIAC yesterday confirmed that 1 July will be the start date for the new SOL. They've very helpfully suggested that people needing to apply before midnight on 30 June do so well in advance as the DIAC systems will be very busy. See What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration .

Tectfully put, if I may say so!

I think the truth about the sudden Creeping Jesus routine from DIAC has much more to do with the fact that their effort on the night of 7th May was a complete SNAFU than it has to do with an enormous computer-system suddenly being "busy." I've de-bunked that little piece of showmanship in my response on the thread below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/88023-not-sure-if-people-aware.html

Surely all the skills assessment authorities will have to adopt the same stance on the same day with regard to the new SOL? Anything else would be akin to telling the road trains to start driving on the right on 1st July whilst telling everyone else to continue to drive on the left?

Cheers

Gill

I am currently on my 2nd year of advanced diploma of hospitality, i have finished cert 3 patisserie, and got 6 months working experience in bakery already. Last time i asked a migration agent, they said that all i can do with the qualification is to apply for skill assessment to get the TR, but i can't apply for PR since from my TR to PR, the new SOL will be used.

I might be wrong, but if the announcement above is true, does it means i still can apply for PR as long as i apply for the skill assessment for my TR before 1st of July?

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
I am currently on my 2nd year of advanced diploma of hospitality, i have finished cert 3 patisserie, and got 6 months working experience in bakery already. Last time i asked a migration agent, they said that all i can do with the qualification is to apply for skill assessment to get the TR, but i can't apply for PR since from my TR to PR, the new SOL will be used.

I might be wrong, but if the announcement above is true, does it means i still can apply for PR as long as i apply for the skill assessment for my TR before 1st of July?

Thanks

Hi there

I think you need to ask a migration agent about this query.

As far as I can gather, there is a protection/transition arrangement for people who are currently studying in Australia. The gist is that you will be able to rely on the current, "old" SOL for at least another 12 months, I think.

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

Please go through the stuff on the link above. If you can't find anything concrete in the information published on 17th May 2010, please go to the stuff on 8th February 2010. It was definitely first described on 8th Feb 2010 but I do not know how much of it (if any) was repeated again on 17th May.

I think you should talk to a migration agent as well, though, because the "information" that DIAC gives out tends to be so guarded that it is unintelligible, plus DIAC have been making careless, avoidable errors with the details because the whole thing is new to them as well as to us.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Do you think Master Builders might say the same?

Hi Paulswin

The Master Builders of Australia is a trade association, not a skills assessment authority.

I looked at the TRA website earlier because they are the people you are talking about. The website is not saying anything about the changes as yet. My guess is that TRA are probably as baffled as everyone else is about how these proposed arrangements are actually supposed to work in practice.......

It is beginning to look like one of DIAC's more monumental cock-ups to me, frankly.

Cheers

Gill

Hi there

I think you need to ask a migration agent about this query.

As far as I can gather, there is a protection/transition arrangement for people who are currently studying in Australia. The gist is that you will be able to rely on the current, "old" SOL for at least another 12 months, I think.

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

Please go through the stuff on the link above. If you can't find anything concrete in the information published on 17th May 2010, please go to the stuff on 8th February 2010. It was definitely first described on 8th Feb 2010 but I do not know how much of it (if any) was repeated again on 17th May.

I think you should talk to a migration agent as well, though, because the "information" that DIAC gives out tends to be so guarded that it is unintelligible, plus DIAC have been making careless, avoidable errors with the details because the whole thing is new to them as well as to us.

Cheers

Gill

I have read about the transition statement above, but as far as i know (through the migration agent), i can only apply for TR, as from the TR to PR process, the new SOL will be applied for myself. That is why i am wondering whether the new announcement means that i can use the old SOL for applying my PR later, as long as i apply for my skill assessment before 1st July :)

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
I have read about the transition statement above, but as far as i know (through the migration agent), i can only apply for TR, as from the TR to PR process, the new SOL will be applied for myself. That is why i am wondering whether the new announcement means that i can use the old SOL for applying my PR later, as long as i apply for my skill assessment before 1st July :)

Thanks

Hi Savedetc

I've been told that Vetassess have made a mistake. I gather that a lot of migration agents believe that the transition arrangements described by Vetassess are only supposed to apply to the 485 visa, as you say.

This may well be true but it is not what Vetassess have said. My guess is that loads of people are leaning on Vetassess to try to get this sorted out.

However time is now becoming very short. Whatever is supposed to be happening, it is supposed to be happening on 1st July 2010. Today is 15th June 2010,

God knows whether they can all sort themselves out during the coming fortnight.

Cheers

Gill

Having spoken to Vetassess I understand that they have repeated in good faith something told them by DIAC. It may well be that the advice only applies to onshore graduates, and they understand that clarification is going to appear on the DIAC website "this week". I am told that some other assessing agencies are quite concerned by the apparent inconsistency. Unfortunately, if there is mistake by Vetassess it's quite irresponsible for DIAC to leave this statement uncorrected.

As Gill says, there is such a short time before the new SOL is planned to be implemented that clarification is urgently required.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Sydneybound

I am really confused as to the best way forward. My partner has a positive vetassess and ielts. We filled out the online application for State Sponsorship with South Australia and in between us sending all the paperwork and it arriving in Oz his job has been removed from the SOL and South Australia have suspended applications. Should I go ahead and apply for GSM visa before this cut off date of 30th June and say I have state sponsorship and just hope for the best - or wait and see what happens? I am thinking Employer Sponsorship is looking like our only option.

Can anyone advise?

have you already lodged an application with diac? if not then regardless of the SS you can't lodge a 175 or 176 GSM application until at least 1 july as applications are currently suspended. from 1 july you can only apply if your occupation is on new SOL unless sponsored under a SMP...you may just have to wait...like so many others unfortunately

jo

Hi there, are you saying that if i lodge a skill assessment to vetassess which is from the old SOL before 1 July 2010, i wont have any effect changes of the new regulations??

I have an offshore Bachelor Degree of IT where i lodged it to vetassess in 2007 for a records manager and yes i got that skill assessment. I lodged that along with my offshore application (visa 176) on 13 May 2008. However, i'm still waiting for the result until now. My case officer said that there will be no result yet up until May 2011 (That means 3 years waiting).

During waiting, i finished study in Sydney, 1 year in Master of Education (UTS) and recently just graduated from Diploma Business Management (1 year). So total 2 years study with 2 degrees.

I'm planning to lodge a 485 visa (Temporary resident). However i need to do another skill assessment again to Vetassess before 1 July 2010 to lodge the TR (My skill occupation is on the old SOL as a Training Officer ASCO 2291-17).

Questions:

1. Do you think that Nomination (Training Officer) is fit to my degree??

2. Which degree do i need to lodge? as i read on vetassess that minimum degree is Bachelor degree or Higher degree. Is that means i need to lodge my offshore IT and Master of Education instead of my Diploma Business Management?

Or should i lodge to vetassess with all three degrees i have??

3. Will that make any effect when i lodge my 485 visa (as it said min 2 years study in Australia)

Please Help me figure it out this as i'm doing it by my self (without the help of an agent) and kind of stuck with the time. Thank you very much.

Regards

Horrbott

just to revive this thread a little-I have a further question -if they are changing over to the new skills list and using ANZSCO but Vetassess and all the other assessment bodies are still processing skills assessments and accepting the old codes where will this leave applicants in the future? And is this one of the reasons why the Vetassess Skills site now says if you gain a skilled assessment before 30th June your application will processed under the old rules?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi there, are you saying that if i lodge a skill assessment to vetassess which is from the old SOL before 1 July 2010, i wont have any effect changes of the new regulations??

I have an offshore Bachelor Degree of IT where i lodged it to vetassess in 2007 for a records manager and yes i got that skill assessment. I lodged that along with my offshore application (visa 176) on 13 May 2008. However, i'm still waiting for the result until now. My case officer said that there will be no result yet up until May 2011 (That means 3 years waiting).

During waiting, i finished study in Sydney, 1 year in Master of Education (UTS) and recently just graduated from Diploma Business Management (1 year). So total 2 years study with 2 degrees.

I'm planning to lodge a 485 visa (Temporary resident). However i need to do another skill assessment again to Vetassess before 1 July 2010 to lodge the TR (My skill occupation is on the old SOL as a Training Officer ASCO 2291-17).

Questions:

1. Do you think that Nomination (Training Officer) is fit to my degree??

2. Which degree do i need to lodge? as i read on vetassess that minimum degree is Bachelor degree or Higher degree. Is that means i need to lodge my offshore IT and Master of Education instead of my Diploma Business Management?

Or should i lodge to vetassess with all three degrees i have??

3. Will that make any effect when i lodge my 485 visa (as it said min 2 years study in Australia)

Please Help me figure it out this as i'm doing it by my self (without the help of an agent) and kind of stuck with the time. Thank you very much.

Regards

Horrbott

Hi Horrbott

I'm sorry but I don't know the detailed rules in the circumstances which you describe. I'm not a migration agent and I am in the UK, so I am particularly hopeless when Students in Oz have technical questions about what they should do.

If you are not prepared to pay a migration agent, can any of your fellow students help you? Or an internet forum such as StudyConnect which is devoted to students in Oz?

You might also get some reliable help on the Migration Help forum, which is here:

Migration Help - Powered by vBulletin

Cheers

Gill

just to revive this thread a little-I have a further question -if they are changing over to the new skills list and using ANZSCO but Vetassess and all the other assessment bodies are still processing skills assessments and accepting the old codes where will this leave applicants in the future? And is this one of the reasons why the Vetassess Skills site now says if you gain a skilled assessment before 30th June your application will processed under the old rules?

I anticipate total confusion on this issue. With occupatons on the ASCO for SMPs and ANZSCO for SOL. Unless DIAC are fully equipped to handle this situation, there is bound to be confusion. Imagine, if I am able to obtain a positive skills assessment with an ANZSCO code and later realize that my occupation is on one of the SMPs which use the ASCO codes, do I have to obtain a new skills assessment ? or, if I have obtained a positive skills assessment with an ASCO code and my occupation is not on any SMPs but is still on the SOL which have ANZSCO, will I be able to apply directly or am I required to redo the skills assessment ? These are questions that should have been answered when the new SOL was released but unfortunately, everyone is still waiting to know ! While the Government want to pass a bill for cap and cease, they have forgotten that each proccess including skills assessment cost money and no one, I repeat, NO ONE invests money only to be capped and ceased.... This is so wrong and this is as bad as the students who have also invested a lot of money obly because they were promised of a route to PR.... to be honest, I will blatantly call it cheating !!!!!

Just an update of sorts on the Vetassess announcement. I understand that the information is correct as far as they're concerned, irrespective of visa subclass. That is, they're saying that if you've applied for skills assessment then you're protected against the new SOL. This reminds me of Melanesian cargo cults, given previous information from DIAC, ie it's possible to disbelieve all other messages if you hear a message which promises you something you want. I have therefore asked the MIA to establish if this claim can be corroborated.

On Melanesian Cargo Cults, see Trobriand Cricket Video . Somehow this reminds me of the differences between public administration as brought to Australia by the original colonists and the way the Department of Immigration plays the game today. I wonder how many nose feathers the average case officer wears :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

Vetassess clarification:

VETASSESS sent you an e-mail on 11 June. It concerned our expectation that from 1 July DIAC would continue to process applications for skills assessments received by VETASSESS before 1 July even if the nominated occupation was no longer on the new Skilled Occupation List for the General Skilled Migration Program (GSM) to be implemented on 1 July. That e-mail was sent in good faith and was our understanding based on advice we sought about our pipeline cases.

We have now received further clarification that from 1 July, applicants for the General Skilled Migration Program (GSM) will need to nominate an occupation on the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL) unless they are covered by a transition arrangement announced by DIAC on 17 May 2010. Those transition arrangements apply to international students in Australia. Please check the DIAC website for details of that announcement.

VETASSESS skills assessments may also be used to support an application to migrate under a State or Territory sponsorship scheme under the GSM program. There are separate occupation lists for these schemes. Please check state and territory websites for information.

We plan to finalise all our skills assessments for the GSM by 30 June provided there are no missing required documents. On request, we will fax the assessment to clients or their agents.

The Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL) is a different list to the SOL for the GSM. VETASSESS will continue to process skills assessments for applicants seeking to migrate under the Employer Nomination Scheme who nominate an occupation on the ENSOL.

Sorry, the whole thing seems to have been a false alarm.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived