kids from previous relationship going to oz info please

Guest HCC

Can anyone shed some light onto this for me..My partner and I (not married yet) are currently investigating the possiblity of moving to oz permanantly. i have a child from my previous marriage. i have heard on the grape vine that the childs father would have to write a letter of permission before the child could be allowed to leave the uk. Is this true..the child lives with me, but does see the father twice a week. Anyone been in a similar situation??

Guest jackie1

Hi

My ex husband just signed a letter I had written which said he was happy for me to take our children out of the country and to live in Australia. It was dated and he signed it. DIMIA seem to be happy with that as they have not asked for any more info from me.

Jackie

Hi Jackie...how did you broach the topic of conversation to your ex in regarding to you moving? not mentioned anything to my ex yet..too scared of what he would say..as for him signing any paperwork...??? do miracles happen???

Guest jackie1

My ex husband rarely sees our children, a couple of times a year if they're lucky. He lives in France with his 2nd wife so he has a new life. Things are civil between myself and ex, we try to get on for the sake of the children but that is all. So there was really no need for him to cause problems (although that hasn't stopped him in the past). The court gave me custody of the children when we divorced. I have twins aged 13 and I left the husband when they were 7 weeks old so they have spent their whole lives with me as a single parent.

A couple of years ago we were thinking about moving to Spain because my parents live there. At the time he said he would not stand in our way and so when the chance of moving to Australia came up he was aware that we were ready to move.

Hope this has helped and that you have success with your ex. How old are your children and where are you thinking of going? We are going to Adelaide.

Jackie :)

Hi

We are in a very similar situation. My wife has two sons from different fathers, one has parental rights, one hasn't. We're dreading telling them both that we want to make the move to OZ, and have absolutely no idea where we will stand if they go against us. I'm stressed out before I've even applied for for a visa!!! All i can do is pray that they understand that we're doing it for their childrens sakes, not just for selfish reasons.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation and only wish I could of been of help. Unfortunately all I can offer is my support. Go for it.

thanks guys..is comforting to know im not the only one in this position. It feels so frustrating as from what ive heard..if the father or mother of a child does not give written consent then thats it..you wont be let in..which kinda puts all our plans in the dustbin really..We have not applied for a visa yet either.We thought we would do a recci visit first..then perhaps come back from that telling everyone how fab it was..drop loads of hints. see how that goes.. short of getting the ex to come out with us (desparate measures now!!) dont see how else we can get round it...

:x

• 2 months later...
Guest spiritguide

Hi HCC

Me and my partner ( not married but living together ) are about to apply on a 136 skilled visa as me as the principal applicant to go to Adelaide with her three children.

age 7, 10,15. The youngest two are from her marriage ( now divorced and has relevant p/work ), the eldest has a different father.

What happens is ( this is what were doing ) go to a family law recommended solicitor tell him your deadly serious about going to Oz.

Ask him to write a letter to your ex asking is he prepared to give consent for his children to go or not. But you could write yourself.

IF as we expect my partners ex will be awkward.... then you have to go through the county court system of gaining a court order which grants permission to take them. Our solicitor has pre empted us that as long as we come up with a good sound case and reasons for wanting to go to Oz an how the kids will benefit then usually the court will over rule the ex and grant you the court order ( I KNOW more.....money ).

After talking to other people there shouldnt be a problem winning a court order.

P.S Hope this helps, my heads battered with a assessment rejection for now which we`ve just had from an agent, but i`m working on ways round it.

I would like if anyone can help me with further info about de-facto arrangements,

1. Would utility bills,joint bank account, in both names and same address

suffice or wud we need to have council tax or are they relaxed nor insist on everything ?

2. Weve been living 2gether for 15 months at my partners, but i own my own house so we havent had anything put in both names until the 2 weeks

But the regulations stipulate you must be able to proof allsorts in both names for the last 12 months PRIOR to applying for a visa.

HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS ANY OF THESE ISSUES, ARE THE WAYS ROUND THIS ?

Cheers

D

Archived