Cats in Quarantine-how long?

Guest tashii27

Guest tashii27

I was just wondering from the people that brought their cats over from the UK-how long were your cats in quarantine for? I know its 30 days minimum but I don't think I could bear it if mine were in there for a silly amount of months. Ive read through a few threads and it seems most of you had yours out by a month but I also saw someone say 4 months!!

I just cant bear to leave my two behind :(

Guest Glue

As far as I know, if you are flying your cat from the UK (rabies-free country), it's one month only. I don't think it can be released earlier.

If you are flying your cat from some other countries which are not claimed as rabies-free, then it's 30 days minimum. The number of days for the pet to stay in quarantine can be up to 180 days and it depends on the number of days after the TITRE test before the pet leaves the country.

I am bringing mine. It's not an option for me at all to leave him behind.

I was just wondering from the people that brought their cats over from the UK-how long were your cats in quarantine for? I know its 30 days minimum but I don't think I could bear it if mine were in there for a silly amount of months. Ive read through a few threads and it seems most of you had yours out by a month but I also saw someone say 4 months!!

I just cant bear to leave my two behind :(

Hi,

Provided all the proper tests have been successfully carried out before departure, the standard is 30 days. To my knowledge, it would have to be something really unusual (read: wrong) for it to be any longer. The best advice I can give you is to read the information on this document: information package 2: minimum 30 days in australian quarantine - DAFF and then contact a pet shipper to help you (lots of good ones but Catherine Allaway of PetAir UK PetAir UK - worldwide air pet transport by qualified vets I know would be happy to give you advice). We work in the quarantine stations every day so do ask if you have any other questions on how it works. I brought my own pet out too as many people in this forum. Best wishes with your plans. Karen

Guest tashii27
Hi,

Provided all the proper tests have been successfully carried out before departure, the standard is 30 days. To my knowledge, it would have to be something really unusual (read: wrong) for it to be any longer. The best advice I can give you is to read the information on this document: information package 2: minimum 30 days in australian quarantine - DAFF and then contact a pet shipper to help you (lots of good ones but Catherine Allaway of PetAir UK PetAir UK - worldwide air pet transport by qualified vets I know would be happy to give you advice). We work in the quarantine stations every day so do ask if you have any other questions on how it works. I brought my own pet out too as many people in this forum. Best wishes with your plans. Karen

Thanks heaps Karen, there is no way I'd leave my babies behind although hubby would lol xx

Hi,

Hi Karen, thanks for the recommendations, I haev already contacted Airpets but would like a comparison. I have two cats.

I have been wondering what the quarantine stations are like as even the thought of hte cats being there for 30 days is pretty hard. Is the "accommodation" nice and is there any human contact? Also I have a persian who needs brushing every day, or at least every couple of days, can I organise this?

Sorry for all te questions.

:huh:

Guest tashii27
Hi Karen, thanks for the recommendations, I haev already contacted Airpets but would like a comparison. I have two cats.

I have been wondering what the quarantine stations are like as even the thought of hte cats being there for 30 days is pretty hard. Is the "accommodation" nice and is there any human contact? Also I have a persian who needs brushing every day, or at least every couple of days, can I organise this?

Pumpkin I also have two Persians that need maintenance. as far as I know from what people have said on here the quarantine stations are fine. you can apparantly book time in to visit your cat and in this time you can groom them. Your cats share one cage thingy which is seperated by wire mesh so they can see each other i think. you can also go in and take toys etc to them

Guest The Pom Queen

It is the date of the RNATT (Rabies) blood sampling that governs how long your pet must stay in quarantine. 180 days have to pass, 60 of these HAVE to be in the country of export, however, if you wish to ship your pet sooner you can BUT they will have to stay longer in quarantine. For example:

If 150 days have passed in the UK, your cat would be doing the over 30 days in quarantine so a total of 180 days will have passed.

If 120 days have passed in the UK then your cat would have to spend 60 days in quarantine.

If you did the minimum 60 days in the country of export then shipped your cat over they would have to spend 120 days in quarantine totalling the 180 days.

Hope this makes sense, so although we automatically presume quarantine is 30 days it depends on how soon you ship your cat over after the RNATT.

Another question that a member pm'd over to me yesterday was something that I think you need to be aware of and that is if your country is NOT on the approved list you cannot bring your pet to Australia without it spending 6 months in one of the approved countries. For example if you wanted to bring your dog with you from India, you would first have to send it to an approved country for example Singapore where it would need to be for 6 months you can then import it to Australia. It is nightmares at least in the UK you can ship your pet over and it can spend the 6 months in quarantine:chatterbox:

Guest darmanin
It is the date of the RNATT (Rabies) blood sampling that governs how long your pet must stay in quarantine. 180 days have to pass, 60 of these HAVE to be in the country of export, however, if you wish to ship your pet sooner you can BUT they will have to stay longer in quarantine. For example:

If 150 days have passed in the UK, your cat would be doing the over 30 days in quarantine so a total of 180 days will have passed.

If 120 days have passed in the UK then your cat would have to spend 60 days in quarantine.

If you did the minimum 60 days in the country of export then shipped your cat over they would have to spend 120 days in quarantine totalling the 180 days.

Hope this makes sense, so although we automatically presume quarantine is 30 days it depends on how soon you ship your cat over after the RNATT.

Another question that a member pm'd over to me yesterday was something that I think you need to be aware of and that is if your country is NOT on the approved list you cannot bring your pet to Australia without it spending 6 months in one of the approved countries. For example if you wanted to bring your dog with you from India, you would first have to send it to an approved country for example Singapore where it would need to be for 6 months you can then import it to Australia. It is nightmares at least in the UK you can ship your pet over and it can spend the 6 months in quarantine:chatterbox:

does the Uk nned the rabbies i thought that we fall under category 2?

thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
does the Uk nned the rabbies i thought that we fall under category 2?

thanks

Only if you are doing the pet passport, which to be honest if you have the time behind you I would highley recommend. That way if you have to go back to the UK they don't have to spend 6 months in quarantine.

Guest darmanin
Only if you are doing the pet passport, which to be honest if you have the time behind you I would highley recommend. That way if you have to go back to the UK they don't have to spend 6 months in quarantine.

ok but for australia we do not need the rabbies test correct?

Guest SkyeMove2Melb

We sent our 2 little babies with the help of this company a couple of weeks ago! They were such a help and I really would not have been able to get the kittens over without them!!

We are off to visit our kittens this morning at Spotwood Quarantine in Melbourne. At the moment visiting hours are between 10.30-12 and 1-4.30pm Mon, Tues, Thur and Fri, you dont make a booking you just log in and out each time you visit.

I was really worried about how they would cope, but they are fine!! No doubt they would prefer to be running around outside, but for the next 18 days (and counting!!) they are warm and happy!! If your cats like scratching posts and toys make sure you send these ahead of them.. They only provide one house for them to sleep in we got another house/scrathing post thing so they both had a seperate place to snooze.

The staff are really wonderful and friendly.. You (and your cats) will be just fine!!

Hi Pumpkin - Tashi is quite right - you can visit your pets in quarantine. Which station are you looking at? If it is Melbourne, current regulations are max 2 visits per week but you can stay a couple of hours. In Perth, you can visit Mon/Tues/Friday for one hour each time. In Sydney you can visit up to 4 times per week. Each family of pets is assigned an AQIS carer you will be able to talk to about your pet too on the days you are not able to visit. The accommodation is just fine - in the hotel industry it would be viewed as basic but very clean and tidy :). Your cats will be absolutely fine there. Will you be able to visit?

Sorry so long in replying. Have grrrrr awful grrrr problems with my internet at the moment! Almost sorted now though.

Karen

Hi there

I bought my four cats over in February this year from the UK to Perth, Australia.

They were in Byford Quarantine Station for 30 days. You can visit them 3 times a week, Monday, Tuesday and it think its Friday for an hour each time. I think its 11.30 until 12.30. If they are alright in quarantine you have to fetch them out after the 30 days. They would keep them another night for you if you were stuck but otherwise they like them out due to other animals coming in from abroad and taking up the pens.

The pens are ok, concrete base so they are cleanable with disenfectant, and they have a shelf higher up where they put the cat bed/s and like a ladder where they can climb to the top to sniff the fresh air and there is mesh wire over that. The litter tray is on the concrete floor obviously.

You can take your own scratching posts in if you want and then take them home afterwards but they dont keep these in there due to cross contamination. I can recommend Byford - they seemed to take really good care of my babies and you can take your own brush in to brush them if you want but you have to leave it in a carrier bag on a nail outside the pens whilst the cats are in quarantine - you cant bring it in and take it home with you every time you visit.

Hope this helps.

Debbie :biggrin:

Archived