Failure to disclose conviction on visa application !!!

lsbc1976

Hi, a criminal record is for life.. It doesn't get wiped after any period of time. Things get 'stepped down', so that they don't appear on certain checks - but the record stays for forever.

The question would have been worded something like "Have you, or any other person included in this application, ever: been convicted of a crime or offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records)?", So I don't understand how you could have answered 'No' in good faith when the question mentions convictions deemed spent?

Preachy bit over. I would be as detailed as possible in decsribing the circumstances of the conviction, how sorry your partner is about the whole thing and how much of a reformed character he is now. I'd also include some character references for good measure.

Personally, I'd either play dumb and say you thought the conviction was juvenille or didn't count. Or was so long ago that you couldn't remember any detail and you didn't think it would show up anyway.

Your dad can't sort out a criminal offense for you. If he had been summonsed to court and not personally shown up, a distress warrant would have been issued and the Police would have been sent to bring him to court. 'Reset' means handling stolen goods, if there was an £80 fine then he received more than a caution. Anyhow, that's by the by...

In my case, I also did a Police Subject Access Request which lists everything (supposedly) about you on the Police National Computer and sent it in with my application (to show that I was being as open and honest as I could).

I should also add, if you're as apologetic as you possible can be about the oversight it is unlikely to have any negative impact on your visa application...

Thanks very much for all the great advice :biggrin:. we will be as open an honest as we possibly can

i too have a dilemma on this issue not something i'm particularly proud of but got charged with theft back when i was 15 ( me and 2 mates stole a tractor from a farm) so here i am today looking at form 80(just asked for today with meds and pc) and i'm really considering just being as open and honest as i can and declaring it. I don't know if a juvenile offence will show up on my police check i honestly think i've invested too much money now in this visa process to risk lying as i know my records clean apart from this single stupid prank when i was a kid.

Archived