UK Move Update

Guest pegasus 90

Guest pegasus 90

Here we go; thought I’d give you all an update on our move back home after 10 years in Perth, and to help those who are contemplating the prospect. I might even perhaps dispel some myths from the purveyors of dome & gloom!.

We eventually took the plunge after mulling it over for over twelve months. Strange thing really; once we’d made a definitive decision, the wife confessed that she wanted to go home about 5 years ago!! Funny how you can be married to someone and not totally know them!!

We arrived on 1st April to a sunny Heathrow albeit around 6c which was a bit of a shock. Wife burst into tears when we landed ! (felt home soil). We decided to spend a couple of weeks in ‘holiday mode’ so that we could show the kids around a bit of the U.K (they were babies when we came to Oz). Spent five days in London and then another week in the West Country, which was fantastic as the kids had the perception that England was all concrete jungle & were amazed at the stunning countryside.

First impressions?, to be honest I was pleasantly surprised at how much it hadn’t changed. Great homely, quirky pubs, fantastic shopping (with people that look you in the eye & engage in real conversation) and a reassuring familiarity which is unnerving after 10 years absence.

We have decided to settle in a completely new location (which I think is key) in Kent to be precise; with the best of large towns & the rural Weald on our doorstep. We are about 30 mins from France on the Eurotunnel, so we fully intend to make use of all the things we took for granted before. I know it’s been said many times before on this forum and it does sound a bit cheesy, but you really do see things that you didn’t notice before.

Being unfamiliar with the area, we rented a quaint cottage on a farm in rural Kent for a week to suss out areas first. During that week we managed to secure a rental house in a nice area and got our 10 yr old into a great primary school within a couple of days. Our 13yr old daughter was a bit more of a challenge, and meant us attending meetings at a few schools before we could get her firstly; a place, and secondly one which offered her suitable GCSE options. Tip: if you are coming back, try to do it before your teenager has to choose options!!

Nevertheless we got her a place after a week or so and they are both enjoying school so much more, although they say that the work is harder, albeit more interesting. They also remarked that the teachers are a lot stricter!. My son was blown away as he is off to France next week on a school excursion and we’ve also had invitations to stay with relatives in North Italy. Already we can feel it is going to be a much busier lifestyle, but it is refreshing to feel a real ‘pace’ about life.

We have set up all the usual utilities, gas, electric, insurances etc etc with no hassles whatsoever. I myself am back in WA at the moment as I have to tie up loose ends & work my notice period; although I managed to secure a couple of interviews in the two weeks I had available whilst in UK. The end result is I was fortunate enough to be offered a job in the same management position as I am here. The employer is also going to wait for me to return to UK after my notice has been served in Oz (& no I am not a brain surgeon!).

Obviously, this is a massive relief & offers us a lot more security with a continuous income. We are ecstatic about how things have gone; achieving far more than we would’ve imagined in such a short space of time.

I quizzed people when & where I could, to see the lie of the land as far as jobs go, and the general consensus is that things are moving in the right direction and there are jobs; but employers are being very fussy. Obviously I can only speak for the south east and not the rest of England as I understand things are much harder up north.

I am flying back at the end of May and start my new job in June. To be totally honest, we have been surprised at how it’s all gone. We expected it to be so much harder (although I suspect Lady Luck has played a part!) or perhaps we had built it up in our minds into something that somehow feels insurmountable. It is such a difficult decision to make, as the natural human reaction is to think about the life & things you are giving up; and to wonder what you will get in exchange.

Anyway, we took the plunge & things have gone better than expected so if you are England bound, I wish you the best of luck & keep positive, because it can work out for you.

P90

:yes:

Guest chris955

As someone who seriously wants to return to the UK after being back here 10 years that is a great positive post. I was getting the impression from some that the streets were full of hoodies waiting to terrorise and rob you at every opportunity.

As I have said before it seems VERY dependant on where you go, exactly the same as here of course. If you go to a deprived bleak area then you will get a very different impression than if you go to what sounds like a beautiful area that you have returned to. The south is generally doing much better than the North, in the area I would like to return to, the South West, unemployment is only around 4% which pretty much accounts for those people who don't want to work.

I'm pleased it is working out so well for you and it makes good reading for others looking to possibly follow.

Great post Pegasus! I am so glad that things seem to be falling into place for you - I must say that I quite agree with a lot of your observations - UK is NOT going down the gurgler, there are some beaut places and fantastic kids (and adults) who are having a brilliant life there.

All the best and hope that it continues to do well for you!

Guest t'n'g

Hi there its great to hear that everything is going well.

I have not wrote on this forum for about a year now. We are back in melbourne and have been for the last year.We went back to UK for a year 08-09 and had agreat time and i didnt want to return but we had to get our citizenship and house sorted out,but once we left UK and came back to our house over here (and the citizenship took longer than we thought it would take.Kids were back in school over here and with there friends and now we are in that situation where i am homesick and hubby is but kids will be unsettled yet again if we move back.daughter has just started high school,sons11 and 6.So it was reasurring to hear of your story!I just dont want to be one of these ping pong poms!!

I lookat photos of all the family events that we have missed over the 8 years and i feel very sad,my parents are not getting any younger dont get me wrong they still come over every year and are still fit and active but...... i have a great network of friends over here,great job!

I think just coming back from a holiday to Tassie hasnt helped hehe!!

Still great to hear everything is working out for you:biggrin:

As someone who seriously wants to return to the UK after being back here 10 years that is a great positive post. I was getting the impression from some that the streets were full of hoodies waiting to terrorise and rob you at every opportunity.

As I have said before it seems VERY dependant on where you go, exactly the same as here of course. If you go to a deprived bleak area then you will get a very different impression than if you go to what sounds like a beautiful area that you have returned to. The south is generally doing much better than the North, in the area I would like to return to, the South West, unemployment is only around 4% which pretty much accounts for those people who don't want to work.

I'm pleased it is working out so well for you and it makes good reading for others looking to possibly follow.

Chris ,i have read some of your posts .....

England is England ......overcrowded in parts ......bumper to bumper traffic ......many problems ...but still where the action is ......still stunning scenery ......and dont under estimate the new coalition .....and our long term future.

Usually i couldnt give a toss about politics , but now we have two young,intelligent blokes running the country ,and they have vowed to have a right go .....and i bloody believe them .

ps :biglaugh:Its a bit like Andy Flower and Paul Collingwood

Guest MSTO

Great Post Peagus :biggrin: I was wondering if you had gone back, as it seems alot people who moved back to the UK do not seem to come on here as much anymore. I hope that is because they are to busy enjoying their new lives back in the UK:jiggy:

Well 5 weeks until we return. We too are moving to a different part from where we left as that is where my husband has a job...yeah a job to go back too. We are still only an hour from family though. Looking at rightmove there are some lovely houses to rent in quaint little villages, open fields. I cannot wait but even most of all just to be around our family.

Keep us updated how things are going...love hearing all the positive stuff about the UK

Guest pegasus 90
Great post Pegasus! I am so glad that things seem to be falling into place for you - I must say that I quite agree with a lot of your observations - UK is NOT going down the gurgler, there are some beaut places and fantastic kids (and adults) who are having a brilliant life there.

All the best and hope that it continues to do well for you!

Yes you are right Quoll, we drive around the lovely Kentish countryside and enjoy the old Oasthouses & country pubs and think to ourselves "were we blind to all this when we lived here?".

I am back in WA at the moment until next week, and never has it felt so dead to me.

I don't know if it is the impending World Cup or things have changed, but I've never seen so many flags of St George flying all over the place. I don't recall it being like that when I left in 2000.

Yes you are right Quoll, we drive around the lovely Kentish countryside and enjoy the old Oasthouses & country pubs and think to ourselves "were we blind to all this when we lived here?".

I am back in WA at the moment until next week, and never has it felt so dead to me.

I don't know if it is the impending World Cup or things have changed, but I've never seen so many flags of St George flying all over the place. I don't recall it being like that when I left in 2000.

How I wish the people in good old Blighty were are patriotic as the Ausises are. When the St George flags are flying it really makes you feel good-shame it only happens for the football. I really think it would make a difference if it were encouraged instead of the PC do gooders. (athough I'd swap fair dinkum ridgey didgers for PC do gooders anytime lol):twitcy:

Guest chris955

It's funny actually, now when watching a programme on the TV from the UK I make an effort to look for flags flying and there seems to be many more than I remember from when we left, like you, in 2000.

Looking at some of the plans of the new Government I can see things changing for the good in years to come.

It's funny actually, now when watching a programme on the TV from the UK I make an effort to look for flags flying and there seems to be many more than I remember from when we left, like you, in 2000.

Looking at some of the plans of the new Government I can see things changing for the good in years to come.

wolverhamptonpub.jpg

England flags ......iam seeing loads .This was snapped on my blackberry in Wolverhampton yesterday........more to follow

Archived