Dog to Aus!

jojimaca

Hi, we are moving to Australia in the near future and we are taking our dog, has anyone had negative stories taking there dogs over to australia, especially in relation to their health, ie; a friends dog died recently after moving over there and I would hate for this to happen. :wideeyed:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest migratetomelbourne

Hi We brought our staffordshire bull terrier over here to Melbourne 2 years ago and if we had known how it would have affected him we would have thought twice about it. He got really stressed out after the flight and he tried to chew his way out of quarantine each time we went to visit him, damaging his mouth. He did make it through the 30 days and we still have him now but he's not the same dog that we had back in the UK. I did it because I love him to bits but now I think it may have been kinder to leave him with a relative who could care for him back there. I too have heard of a relatives dog who passed away not long after arriving over here.

Hi we brought our 7 year old dalamation who had not really used kennels much in uk , very spoilt house dog , we flew with golden arrow animal shippers ( shropshire) and he went to byford quarantine in perth , we used www.dogwalks.com.au for extra attention , he was fab the staff were all fantastic on all ccounts for us its the best thing we did , having had my vets full health check and doing lots of talking to all involved , all the very best .

Guest The Pom Queen

You do have certain breeds that are highly prone to stress and phobias, Staffy's are one of those breeds.

As long as your dog is in good health then there should be no reason not to ship. In the UK I use to go in to quarantine on a regular basis and the only animals we had problems with were animals that had an underlying condition prior to shipping, this may have been the case with your friends dog, do you know if a PM was done to find out the cause?

Please don't worry, I know it is easier said than done but it is usually us that worries more than them. The best thing to do is to discuss it with your vet and discuss your dogs history. Don't forget if you are shipping soon not to boost for Lepto.

Hugs

Kate

Hi we brought our dog with us 18 months ago, hes a American bull dog cross and a very nervy dog lives off his nerves, he was a rescue dog. we where worried about him, but he was fine even in the kennels they get one to one so it makes the dog feel better not loads of people looking after ur dog, and you can go and see them. we also came out in there summer and it was very hot he was fine.

Good luck Anita

Archived