Children flying alone

2tigers

Guest The Pom Queen

I don't think Joanne's post was out of order (it is her opinion) and I think as parents we have to realise that people have different views on how to raise their children let alone sending them on a long journey unaccompanied. What is right for one family may not be right for another. Unfortunately, for the OP situation she has no choice in the matter as it has been ordered through the courts, so it isn't a case of her being mad this poor mum has had a decision forced upon her whether she was happy to send her child unaccompanied or not. So in this case it is good that other members can share their experience of sending children unaccompanied in the hope that it can offer some reassurance to the OP.

Personally, I wouldn't want to send my child alone on such a long flight, it isn't because I don't think they would be well looked after because I am sure they would be, but I would literally give myself a heart attack with worry and all I would have is a lot of "what if" thoughts. My main worry would be my ex being at the other end to pick him up, what if they didn't show.:swoon:

I think that it needs pointing out, that it isn't always an option for some occupations, not to send their children on flights as unaccompanied minors. Members of the services often have no option when overseas and their children are of school age. Also many diplomats and expats live where the local schooling is either not up to standard or just unavailable, as was our case. I'm sure in an ideal world, we all want to keep our children close, but when this isn't possible, decisions have to be made. I have known hundreds of children, including our own, who have flown as unaccompanied minors, due to circumstances, and all seem to have survived, and have taken it in their stride. I think parents have more problem with it than the children, I'm sure I worried more than they did.

Growing up in Africa was also a challenge, as many children travelled for 24 hrs by train, before flying was the norm, to go to school, and again don't seem to have been scarred by the experience, just accepted it as the norm.

It's perhaps easier to accept the concept of your children travelling without you, when you have had to cope with it, than if it has possibly luckily, never featured in your life.

Good luck to all parents facing this, it's not easy.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKYOU FOR THE POST FROM THE FORCES XXX

I DO AGREE WITH YOU

BUT THESE KIDS ARE NOT A BUCKET SEAT FROM THE UK TO OZ !!!

and it seems that i have stepped on a few peoples toes x

but like i quoted in my post i think omg !!! (i think your mad ! !!! its my opinon !!! )

but everyone is allowed that and thats what makes makes the world go round x

and ok these people are they checked to take your kids !!! with who !!!! checks !!! as in the uk you have police checks done !!! but not valid in oz !!!

people get on domestic flights in america every day but they are not long haul flights !!! and as an adult its a long time from the uk to oz is a very long time and to a child it must be forever !!! as are we there yet !!!!

(so was holly and jessicas caretaker !! or madeline !!! or even the amount of children that actually go missing !!!! look at the figures

its not a nice world out there x and its not surposed to scare you !!! but its not hunky dorey out there LOOK at AFGANISTAN ! IRAQ !!! or even bangkok !!!

but the orginal THread !!! that some people have blown out out all proportion is if a judge ruled that an 8 year old goes on plane !!!!! because a judge ruled it !!!!!!!!!

:jiggy:

just my opinon !!!

Guest itskaren
I wouldnt say Pau1evs is being harsh KAren. Just their opinion. As well looked after as they may be.......It would worry the hell out of me too.

You are correct in saying it is an opinion. But to say we are 'mad' is a bit harsh ... yes it is an opinion!!:mad:

Guest itskaren
I think you are scare mongering here somewhat. The kids dont go "on their own" they are very well chaperoned and generally receive excellent care from the airlines. They are only handed over at the other end to a well identified person who has to prove their bona fides even if the kid knows them really well. There are even rules about where the kids can sit in the plane and who they can sit next to and most Unaccompanied Minors sit with other kids in the same situation. I venture to suggest that a kid is at far more risk going off to the local shops on their own, or even walking to school or playing out on the school oval (that seems to be the riskiest environment for a kid, note the number of weirdos who lurk around school grounds). As for dangers on planes, more kids die in car accidents every year than they do in plane crashes.

Exactly Quoll!

I wouldn't care what judge had ruled I had to sent my child home unaccompanied, I just wouldn't do it. How could they even enforce it?

I have a nearly 7 year old and there is absolutely no way in a years time I would be allowing her to fly home on her own, in fact I wouldn't be letting her fly anywhere on her own.

I used to travel from Cornwall to London on the train to see my Mumw hen I was 14 and I was fine as longa s everything went smoothly but I use dto get so paniced and upset if anything went wrong. Like a pp said what i the flight was delayed or turbulant how scared would they be in a hotel room on their own?

I am not a good flyer and I know that most of my worry would be of my own doing but tbh I don't care I do not want to put me or my child through that, whatever a judge ruled.

My daughter will have her Father in the UK and Grandparents in NZ when we get to Oz and I have said I will accompany her to NZ until she is about 12 and then I will fly her to Sydney and she can go unaccompanied to NZ. She can fly back to the UK on her own when she is about 15.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, its a horrid situation to be told you have to do this, I guess my decision will be made when the time comes. I am not a fan at all of letting children do this, I personally flew for the 1st time alone at around age 24, I remember being very scared of take off, turbulence and landing. I had flown plenty of times before then but not alone.

I have been told by the Judge that if I don't abide by the orders that the consequences would be from community service to time served in prison. Its horrible for someone who doesn't know your children or you, and who lives on another planet (as most Judges do), to make decisions for you.

If it comes to it where I can not afford the trip and the Father refuses to come to collect (because he CAN afford to), and if he enforces this 'unaccompanied' travel then I feel it reflects on his parenting. Not wanted to upset anyone here, as you all have your own thoughts, but these are mine on my personal situation.

Keep the thoughts coming, it does help to hear of positive stories as it may come to a stage where I may have to let it happen.

Archived