How easy is it to get a job in the UK???

Guest lost over here

Guest lost over here

Just wondering how long those who have returned to the UK took to find work?

My husband & I are hoping to return early next year but have concerns over how long it will take for me to find work. I'm a Chartered Accountant but will have been on maternity leave for about 9 months by then. I've heard things over in the UK aren't good? But I don't want to have to stay in Sydney just because of being scared I won't find work when we return. I would appreciate peoples opinions!

Guest rayman1

My husband & I are hoping to return early next year but have concerns over how long it will take for me to find work. I'm a Chartered Accountant but will have been on maternity leave for about 9 months by then. I've heard things over in the UK aren't good? But I don't want to have to stay in Sydney just because of being scared I won't find work when we return. I would appreciate peoples opinions!

Hi. We returned and found it not to much trouble finding work. Wife a lawyer and had a job in 20 days of returning (and maybe another one in the pipeline) and I am a engineer and got a job in 26 days. Both full time permanent positions on similar pay we left on. Don't listen to much about doom and gloom UK. Took similar time to find work in Australia!!!

Hi. We returned and found it not to much trouble finding work. Wife a lawyer and had a job in 20 days of returning (and maybe another one in the pipeline) and I am a engineer and got a job in 26 days. Both full time permanent positions on similar pay we left on. Don't listen to much about doom and gloom UK. Took similar time to find work in Australia!!!

Hi rayman

Which part of the UK did you return to?

Hoping to give a balanced view ......The western world , not just the UK is in for a bumpy ride .

Its patchy over here ,with a lot of my mates struggling .......plumbers , roofers etc

Greece is in the mire .....and looking over the edge are Portugal, Spain and Ireland .

A few of the irish lads were telling me ,they have never seen it so bad......at least the uk doesnt have the euro as its currency

Whoever gets in here in the UK after the Election ,will have to make savage cuts .

Australia was doing relatively well .....until they announced that 40% tax on the mining sector .......not very bright

I just read briefly on MSN's UK home page about Barclays are hiring did nt read as its not my field but it may be worht you having a look.

Things are getting better. But what ever don't be scared to come home, its a short life

Good luck John X

Guest lost over here

Thanks Rayman. I guess if you want a job hard enough it will happen. I just hate the fact that going back to the UK means we will have to go back spending our savings on short term accommodation & rushing around trying to get a job! But I guess thats only temporary & if thats the only way to get back then I'll happily do it!

Guest funkymonkey
Thanks Rayman. I guess if you want a job hard enough it will happen. I just hate the fact that going back to the UK means we will have to go back spending our savings on short term accommodation & rushing around trying to get a job! But I guess thats only temporary & if thats the only way to get back then I'll happily do it!

Thats the same as us. I have been tormented by making the right decision and we put our house on the market this week and we will go back if it sells. We too will have to use our savings/equity to pay for rental accomodation and living expenses until we get sorted at home. That is the really hard part, also the fact that we will be going back without jobs....but, we're going back for the long term and we just have to keep remembering its short term pain for long term gain (hopefully). Life is too short to be unhappy in a place you don't want to be...:arghh:

the people who say uk/western world is in trouble, well its only their opinion, the media was saying that the uk last year would see 1930's soup kitchens in the street.....didnt happen around here!!!. we have been back two and a half months and we came home to the 'always in recession' north east. my wife got a part -time job straight away, and she has just started a full time job this week. my experience was even better, i got an unskilled job with a friends building business after two weeks, since then i havent really bust myself looking for work but i have had 5 other job offers/interviews. i do have an engineering trade and two of the jobs were in that discipline, one was a definate start. i have however started work with one of the 'retail giants' on the delivery side. this company recorded record growth throughout the recession. so although i am not a professional person and i have taken a lower paid job, its a job that will more likely be permenant, recession or not. we lived in the illawarra region of oz and after i was made redundant from my job with a large oz company last year.......i got sod all job wise, i must have applied for 30+ jobs in a couple of months, i ended up working for the equivalent of the dole, doing a totally un-skilled job.....very,very, depressing.we came back and because of the exchange rate we have done ok, house prices here have either gone down or stayed at one level, so we could afford a wage drop. i feel totally at home and have no regrets about being back in the uk,( also no regrets about going to oz in the first place!!!), so it all depends on what you do/or are prepared to do for work...it is not all doom and gloom.

Guest chris955

Great post John, so refreshing to read these factual posts as opposed to the doom and gloom nonsense.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

anyone coming back to the uk from Australia and have a property to sell in Oz should make a killing, i wish i could have predicted the future and emigrated in 2005, i would be a near millionaire now, if i had then decided to come back, thanks to the dire financial state the uk is in with the pound worth 1.60 dollars. All of europe is struggling also and it is the worst time to emigrate, but if your coming back and can get a job, not many about but you might be lucky, then this is the best time if your exchanging several hundred thousand dollars back into pounds.

jim

Guest gratom

Johnd's comments concerning jobs etc are right on the ball---don't take any notice of the press[particularly the Murdoch section--its rubbish[i'm trying to be polite].Prices are low in comparison to Oz[grossly overpriced--so returned friends inform me].House prices are stable but sales are slow[tougher mortgage requirements].There is work but it tends not to be advertised very widely--more word of mouth/experience.Also you won't experience the anti-immigrant bias that is such a problem in Oz--experience is everything[so friends tell me who were appalled by Australian attitudes]Good luck

the people who say uk/western world is in trouble, well its only their opinion, the media was saying that the uk last year would see 1930's soup kitchens in the street.....didnt happen around here!!!. we have been back two and a half months and we came home to the 'always in recession' north east. my wife got a part -time job straight away, and she has just started a full time job this week. my experience was even better, i got an unskilled job with a friends building business after two weeks, since then i havent really bust myself looking for work but i have had 5 other job offers/interviews. i do have an engineering trade and two of the jobs were in that discipline, one was a definate start. i have however started work with one of the 'retail giants' on the delivery side. this company recorded record growth throughout the recession. so although i am not a professional person and i have taken a lower paid job, its a job that will more likely be permenant, recession or not. we lived in the illawarra region of oz and after i was made redundant from my job with a large oz company last year.......i got sod all job wise, i must have applied for 30+ jobs in a couple of months, i ended up working for the equivalent of the dole, doing a totally un-skilled job.....very,very, depressing.we came back and because of the exchange rate we have done ok, house prices here have either gone down or stayed at one level, so we could afford a wage drop. i feel totally at home and have no regrets about being back in the uk,( also no regrets about going to oz in the first place!!!), so it all depends on what you do/or are prepared to do for work...it is not all doom and gloom.

SSSSSShhhhhhh John , i have to paint a bleak picture .......its the pommy way:biglaugh:

I have mates who are doing really well in their businesses .

But i like to give anyone reading these posts ,a worst case scenario .

Glad to see you are happy John ......how are the family doing?

my family etc are all well thanks......we have no regrets about the oz adventure....but also no regrets about coming home. i think living away from your home town for a period of time gives you a different perspective on things, for example , my parents see dog muck or graffiti/rubbish in the local park....i see cherry blossoms and songbirds...funny. i have spent 4 and a half years of my life in oz,(over three visits), and i am a naturlised aussie, i do feel that doing this was an achievement as it gives me the option to return to oz in the future....something that may happen in years to come....but for now i'll just enjoy the cherry blossoms....oh and the local pub....oh and my rugby club.......etc....etc.....etc!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rose4eva

I came back 3rd April and i am a registered nurse, still looking for work, been for a few interviews. I know it will take time. I do feel happier tho, i guess i need to be positive and remember my reasons for coming home x

Guest treesea

If you have worked here recently and have references from jobs based in the UK, you will probably be okay. It depends how long it is since you worked in the UK. Could you maybe ask about getting your old job back?

Having said that, the new government is about to take its axe to the public sector workforce - not the front line, but back office staff like consultants, contractors, IT permie staff. Presumably they will thens tart competing for jobs in the private sector.The new government is talking about saving money by doing things like moving some of the government offices further out of London (I must have missed something; I thought they had all been moved out of London long ago) and consolidating some back office functions like accounting/finance and IT.

Not having the fountain of the taxpayers money to guzzle from is possibly going to make the C.A. firms freeze or reduce their headcounts.

Archived