Novelty periods

Guest LongwayDown

Guest siamsusie
quote Siam

Spouse Visa pr granted 2009, living in paradise

Karrratha and Tasmania surely your having us on??

Very funny

LongwayDown, why would I be having you on. Tasmania is paradise and Karratha where I am right now is another kind of paradise. Do you have a problem with that? Karratha has been exceptionally kind to us thank you!:cute: cheers Susie

NB I would hasten to add that actually not only does the Pilbara supply Iron Ore which is one of the major resources for WA not forgetting salt, gas etc but it does have its own unique beauty LWD. I have been fortunate enough to experience some incredible areas in the Pilbara http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/en/Destinations/The_Pilbara/Pages/The_Pilbara.aspx. It is good to meet someone who has experienced both LWD rather than "arm chair tourists" and I am usually available for a healthy debate lol.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no idea which catergory we fall into - lots of family support in Oz and none in the UK- but still prefer our life in the UK by a mile...... and a half-and no we don't understand it either-we should think it's great, my husband should feel like he's come home but he does not

This is a huge move for all of us that do it and we all have things we like and things we don't, if it doesn't feel right- for whatever reason(s) there is no point-but be proud to have tried where most would have just spoken (very loudly) about it.

The same people who will say we are crazy if/when we go back-life is full of people just like it.

Good luck to all who choose to stay or go...:hug:

Not trying to talk you out of going home and agree you should go where it suits you....just thought I'd reinforce that a lot of the things you mentioned that your husband says make him feel like he doesn't fit in are, IMO, more about where you live in Australia than Australia itself. Totally different in inner Brisbane vs country village outside Toowoomba vs Upper Brookfield vs Melbourne etc etc. The sport only, bbq, beer, flag waving etc is not ubiquitous. Just like in the UK where you live can change the type of people and he may be just surrounded by people that don't suit him. Of course there will be other things involved that you haven't mentioned so again, not trying to change your mind.

Guest LongwayDown

NB I would hasten to add that actually not only does the Pilbara supply Iron Ore which is one of the major resources for WA not forgetting salt, gas etc but it does have its own unique beauty LWD

And Grimsby supplies heaps of fish and has numerous chemical plants but you wouldnt want to live there

Not trying to talk you out of going home and agree you should go where it suits you....just thought I'd reinforce that a lot of the things you mentioned that your husband says make him feel like he doesn't fit in are, IMO, more about where you live in Australia than Australia itself. Totally different in inner Brisbane vs country village outside Toowoomba vs Upper Brookfield vs Melbourne etc etc. The sport only, bbq, beer, flag waving etc is not ubiquitous. Just like in the UK where you live can change the type of people and he may be just surrounded by people that don't suit him. Of course there will be other things involved that you haven't mentioned so again, not trying to change your mind.

Thanks for this and I'm sure you aren't trying to talk me out of going home. The problem is we cam here for the family not for Australia itself it wouln't have mattered if the family had lived in Kent or Scotland we would have gone there. the appeal to us never was Oz but the family and moving elsewhere in Oz would sort of defeat the object. I understand we haven't seen all of Oz but really we had a lovely life in a quaint english village and it was only the family pull that changed that-I wouldn't like to move to a city or near one. Everyone is different aren't they?

Thanks

:jiggy:

NB I would hasten to add that actually not only does the Pilbara supply Iron Ore which is one of the major resources for WA not forgetting salt, gas etc but it does have its own unique beauty LWD

And Grimsby supplies heaps of fish and has numerous chemical plants but you wouldnt want to live there

People Choose to live where they are happy and paradise is where they are happy- I'm sure Grimsby is that for some people as is Tasmania/London/ Edinburgh/ The Cotswolds etc.

I don't really think it's or anyone else to disparage where one person calls home- that doesn't really get anyone anywhere does it.

Those of us that want to go back are constantly criticised for not loving here and it really is rude and annoying-please don't criticise someone's choice of place to live it really is personal.

:unsure:

Guest siamsusie
People Choose to live where they are happy and paradise is where they are happy- I'm sure Grimsby is that for some people as is Tasmania/London/ Edinburgh/ The Cotswolds etc.

I don't really think it's or anyone else to disparage where one person calls home- that doesn't really get anyone anywhere does it.

Those of us that want to go back are constantly criticised for not loving here and it really is rude and annoying-please don't criticise someone's choice of place to live it really is personal.

:yes: couldnt agree more.

Guest siamsusie

Naturally you are entitled to your opinion although I doubt whether you have lived here in Karratha . I have had a wonderful time, it isnt for everyone (the fainthearted :biggrin:) but we secured a great future for ourselves here, so we are very much indebted to the Pilbara.:wink: Susie

LongwayDown, why would I be having you on. Tasmania is paradise and Karratha where I am right now is another kind of paradise. Do you have a problem with that? Karratha has been exceptionally kind to us thank you!:cute: cheers Susie

NB I would hasten to add that actually not only does the Pilbara supply Iron Ore which is one of the major resources for WA not forgetting salt, gas etc but it does have its own unique beauty LWD. I have been fortunate enough to experience some incredible areas in the Pilbara The Pilbara - Australia's North West. It is good to meet someone who has experienced both LWD rather than "arm chair tourists" and I am usually available for a healthy debate lol.

Susie I wish there were more like you.

So many Brits head to Perth for a year or so and then head home. The contrasting experience of living in two different locations has shown you two extremes of living in Oz. Tassie is a nice wee place. My first visit there was in 73 when they still exported apples all over the world. I was 16 on a freighter and we took a cargo to Hamburg via Cape Town. The Pilbarra really is different and has a community feel about it despite it's size and sparse population density. I spent three years up there working for BHP in the eighties.

Comments on this thread about not being able to settle in this country because they don't like V8 cars or copious amounts of beer says more about the stereotypical Pom than the average Australian. I'm not a petrol head and prefer a NZ white to a cold beer and I'm still benefitting from living in such a great country.

As I get older I enjoy visiting the UK more than ever, but this country has been very good to me. Being a Scot, my friends are from all over the world and even include the odd Pom. Their natural flair for wingeing and pointing out the negative aspects of living on this dangerous continent can keep you in stitches for hours.

A travel company in the UK recently drew up a list of popular complaints made by Poms while on holiday, and there were some real beauties. My favourite however was from an irate Londoner vacationing somewhere in southern Europe who said,quote, "They never told us there'd be fish in the water" !!

Having read your posts last year, I kind of knew you'd arrive in Australia with an open mind and make adjustments as required, and it appears you have done just that. More than a few contributors on here would dwell so much on the negatives if they were spending time between NW Oz and Tassie. Good luck mate, and watch out for that Western Austrian beer. Syd

Guest siamsusie
Susie I wish there were more like you.

So many Brits head to Perth for a year or so and then head home. The contrasting experience of living in two different locations has shown you two extremes of living in Oz. Tassie is a nice wee place. My first visit there was in 73 when they still exported apples all over the world. I was 16 on a freighter and we took a cargo to Hamburg via Cape Town. The Pilbarra really is different and has a community feel about it despite it's size and sparse population density. I spent three years up there working for BHP in the eighties.

Comments on this thread about not being able to settle in this country because they don't like V8 cars or copious amounts of beer says more about the stereotypical Pom than the average Australian. I'm not a petrol head and prefer a NZ white to a cold beer and I'm still benefitting from living in such a great country.

As I get older I enjoy visiting the UK more than ever, but this country has been very good to me. Being a Scot, my friends are from all over the world and even include the odd Pom. Their natural flair for wingeing and pointing out the negative aspects of living on this dangerous continent can keep you in stitches for hours.

A travel company in the UK recently drew up a list of popular complaints made by Poms while on holiday, and there were some real beauties. My favourite however was from an irate Londoner vacationing somewhere in southern Europe who said,quote, "They never told us there'd be fish in the water" !!

Having read your posts last year, I kind of knew you'd arrive in Australia with an open mind and make adjustments as required, and it appears you have done just that. More than a few contributors on here would dwell so much on the negatives if they were spending time between NW Oz and Tassie. Good luck mate, and watch out for that Western Austrian beer. Syd

Hi Sydney, thank you for a lovely post. Yes Tasmania is gorgeous isnt it. I can imagine the old "Apple Isle" looked a wee bit different then! And how the tides turn eh! We sell the iron ore to to China and we in turn take on board their apples:wink:.

Regarding the Pilbara, you and Bobj (our fisherman from the cyclonic zone:biggrin:) would be able to share some stories......Those periods of emigratation were so different from 2010 eh! Rougher/tougher but I guess they made a man of you! No time for even the odd whinge in those days lol.

Yes there is indeed community spirit here in the Pilbara you are so right....even in the 4/5 odd years I have been here I have watched the town develop quite considerably... but still maintaining its caring attitude of its residents. Yesterday morning driving my husband to work at 4.30am, the streets alive with vehicles, watching the 2km length trains chugging along to the foreign boats to off load the iron ore, the sun coming up over the aquamarine seas, the landscape as red as....

the planes bringing in this weeks quota of FIFO's... the multitude of huge red roos carrying their young, I sat there in awe of this huge land and it has my deepest respect!

Definately a far cry from a small town called Annan in Dumfriesshire:laugh:!

As my Tasmanian husband often remarks to his peers over in Tasmania when they appear a tad too insular " expand your mind son" I think that says it in a nutshell lol.

I enjoy Bobj's posts which are always so positive (despite the fact he is too woosey to even visit Tasmania lol) about this great land, maybe Sydney you can also give your accounts of days gone by, I for one would take great pleasure in reading them!

Thank you Sydney!:hug:

Guest LongwayDown

secured a great future for ourselves here???(Karratha)

You mean you cashed in on the mining boom. In other words im making money so ill pretend to myself this is a great place. Greedy girl.

Guest rachellh

You mean you cashed in on the mining boom. In other words im making money so ill pretend to myself this is a great place. Greedy girl.

That's a bit harsh isn't it?!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

LongwayDown, you seem to have a problem with my genuine love of WA.... personally speaking I brought my own money into Australia from assets I had accumulated from sheer hard work, not unlike most other people who have come into Australia.

My husband has worked in the mining industry all of his life, why should he not reap some of the rewards... he worked for it, not me! do you have a problem with this? I am sorry if you appear to do so!

Why I am I greedy? Do you know me? I think not! Why the personal attack? I only stipulated that I actually think up north WA happens to be paradise along with my love of Tasmania. Me personally cashing in!:no: but if I did, would you class that is immoral, personally I find it to be no different than playing the stock market!! eh!! now here is a cuddle :hug: and stop attacking the unknown ... Susie

Seriously, this is a troll isn't it?

What has happened to you to make you so bitter towards Susie, or anyone else who is an economic migrant?

Guest siamsusie
Seriously, this is a troll isn't it?

What has happened to you to make you so bitter towards Susie, or anyone else who is an economic migrant?

Paul, let him go troll or otherwise, I know I am immensely proud of my husband, and I have always tried to portray to newcomers that not all Australian companies are the doom and gloom merchants that can occasionally be portrayed on PIO... a good few poms that work with my OH have carved out very successful lives for themselves and their families bringing their much valued experience and expertise and I for one take great delight in seeing them come up leaps and bounds here in the Pilbara.

:hug:Susie

Why such big chips on your shoulders ....... they will only weigh you down. You do not state which country you live in. If you live in Oz and have'nt made a go of it, please do not criticize others. Takes guts and hard yakka to work in the mining communities in the out back.

I have the best of 3 worlds here in Australia and I feel blessed that I loved living in an outback desert mining community where at night I felt as if I could reach up and pluck the stars out of the sky, Adelaide South Ausralia (my home State) and Queensland where I now live.

If that is not "Paradise Living" I do not know what else it could be called.

There is a poem called "Core of My Heart" or better known as "I Love A Sun Burnt Country", by Dorothy McKellar, alsoset to music by Toy Trech and ung by Jackie Trent, maybe you should read the poem so as to understand what Australia means to a lot of people and why they are so pround of the country they now live in and call "HOME".

Think you need an Aussie hug or two :hug::hug:

Why such big chips on your shoulders ....... they will only weigh you down. You do not state which country you live in. If you live in Oz and have'nt made a go of it, please do not criticize others. Takes guts and hard yakka to work in the mining communities in the out back.

I have the best of 3 worlds here in Australia and I feel blessed that I loved living in an outback desert mining community where at night I felt as if I could reach up and pluck the stars out of the sky, Adelaide South Ausralia (my home State) and Queensland where I now live.

If that is not "Paradise Living" I do not know what else it could be called.

There is a poem called "Core of My Heart" or better known as "I Love A Sun Burnt Country", by Dorothy McKellar, alsoset to music by Toy Trech and ung by Jackie Trent, maybe you should read the poem so as to understand what Australia means to a lot of people and why they are so pround of the country they now live in and call "HOME".

Think you need an Aussie hug or two :hug::hug:

OOOOOPS, should read Tony Hatch and sung by Jackie Trent.

By the way I'm the Aussie and Hubby the English man who also loves the outback. :biglaugh:

OOOOOPS, should read Tony Hatch and sung by Jackie Trent.

By the way I'm the Aussie and Hubby the English man who also loves the outback. :biglaugh:

Great Post- for me it's the beautiful English countryside- how dull it would be if we all liked the same thing. What works for one doesn't work for another-which is a good job really or we'd all be living in the same place lol.:jiggy:

I'm English and my hubby is Aussie and he loves the English countryside

Guest chris955

Exactly right, imagine how crowded the outback would be if we all loved red dust :laugh::wink:

Great Post- for me it's the beautiful English countryside- how dull it would be if we all liked the same thing. What works for one doesn't work for another-which is a good job really or we'd all be living in the same place lol.

:jiggy:

I'm English and my hubby is Aussie and he loves the English countryside

That is so true CorinaMac. I live in England for 6 years after we were married and it was himself who wanted to come back to Australia, way back when it was easier to migrate than it is now.:biggrin:

Exactly right, imagine how crowded the outback would be if we all loved red dust :laugh::wink:

Good one :laugh:, I'm so pleased that not everyone is partial to the red soil of the out back :wink:. It's "Bu**ar driving in it in a dust storm. :biggrin:

Guest chris955

Yes I'm afraid the dust and sand don't do it for me, give me green anytime. :wink:

Guest funkymonkey
I wish you and your family well and by the sounds of it you will be happier back in the UK.

I dont quite know that the "stereotypical Australian man" is actually!. One would have thought being in a mineing town, I would have come across these "Tonka Toys". Luckily, all I have met are the "good guys" your average caring family man who works hard for their families or the young single guys and lasses who are striving for a better life, commuting x 2 a month 4,000 kms to gain employent of some description.

The stereotypye (media image) of men at one side of a room and the women at another are enigma to me but I am sure it exists as it surely does back in europe.

How quick we are to generalise , the proverbial "Romeo" latin , the odour of the french, the loud mouthed yank:biggrin:... the cold englishmen... ! Romance and decorum exists with my Australian man and many others I happen to witness as well.

Best wishes on your ventures back to the Uk

Susie

Tell yourself what you need to :chatterbox:

Yes I'm afraid the dust and sand don't do it for me, give me green anytime. :wink:

Yeah, I love green too. Northern NSW is green and beautiful, Sunshine Coast hinterland pretty good too, but the green mountain lushness of Cairns tops them both....

Archived