Just back from perth

legoman

Just returned from Perth, had a great time there, lived there before and making lans for return. Stayed with my son north of river in Woodvale, nice areas close to Hillary,s etc.

Since I left 4 years ago things have changed a lot, Firstly yes, most things are more expensive, but then again compared to what?. earn dollars pay in dollars, someone said you need to earn 100k to be able to live in Perth now, I have not found this at all, prices have gone up, wages have risen, my pal a bus driver $54k with overtime, just had house built, my son average 50k at airport.

The real good news is the amount of jobs available, a good thing for new arrivals as the trick is not to be too picky with regard to what work you will do when you get there. No-one in oz judges you on your job like they do here.

All are still laid back, rained a couple of days, heavy. then hot sunshine.

my son took me and my youngest son to a park to play soccer, within 15mins i was approached by a footyball manager who was training some kids and he asked if my youngest would like to join em and maybe play for them, had a good chat with him and he played pro in uk in the 70s. my son loved it. Eldest plays for a team, said they were good, so far lost 5-0 6-1 lol.

The Oz telly is as usual still cr*p and the reality shows have taken over, house prices are expensive but talking to several people the interest rate rises and other increases such as fuel etc will start to bite this year and maybe bring prices into line.

The amount of building that is going on is huge, spreading and north now but the train running down the middle of the freeway cuts travelling time hugely. and most people dont go into the cbd unless they work there, traffic at rush hour is horrendous, standstill both ways outa city on freeway. Still a beautiful place, clean, fresh etc.

crime is of there and we had a drive by shooting nearby 2 weeks ago. but if you want a crime free place then best look for an atoll somewhere alone.

All in all we will be moving back as a family again and my house will be put on the market very soon, the loss of value was only on paper anyway and as we will be renting ( pretty hard to find at mo) we shall leave the bulk of money in an account and see if exchange rate helps later. I prefer the sor burbs so will prob move there

I think we can prob say life there wont be better, or worse for us, just different

and at 49yrs old, why not just do it.

:wink:

hi there,

loved your post. we are trying to move back from ireland. lived in perth 10 years ago. beautiful place, tv was crap, nothing but commercials, but hey we watch too much of it anyway.

good to hear there is plenty of work.

heart wants to go back, head is ssaying bad time to sell house and exchange rate is crap. 2 big factors, we will see if renting is an option.

i worked on st georges terrace, the views are to die for!!!!! hard to work when all you can see is windsurfers!!!!!

good luck with your move.

cheers caz

great post and seem like you know what you want. How long in OZ the last time before you went back to UK?

Glad to see more over 40's going over and looking like jobs are there just not being fussy to start with, which we are not, I have been a cook, chambermaid, bank clerk, reprographics officer, supermarket operator, admin now - so see not fussy at all, LOL:biggrin:

great post and seem like you know what you want. How long in OZ the last time before you went back to UK?

Glad to see more over 40's going over and looking like jobs are there just not being fussy to start with, which we are not, I have been a cook, chambermaid, bank clerk, reprographics officer, supermarket operator, admin now - so see not fussy at all, LOL:biggrin:

we totalled near 2 years, i went on my trade but quickly found it was so different I couldnt get to grips with it there, plumb/gas. gasfiitng ok but plumbing was difficult. made the error of thinking i deserved a good job just because i managed to get pr visa, was silly really. soon learned though. do any job on arrival, its all an adventure and you get some emplyment history too, i know plenty people changed careers and have now found contentment in their work / homelife, and it doesnt depend on the size of their paypacket. Me! there are several jobs i woul do, maybe even apply to uni to do psychology deg. people who do the migration thing are a strong lot and determined ( including those who return, who simply find its not for them after taking on a huge upheaval to see if it will work for them). finding a home and a job is probably easier than all the issues connected with the move.

HI there Legoman, i just about to do my Vetassess as a general plumber, hopefully with a pass and a magic visa we will get to Perth, i am also a plumber.gasfitter but i tell you what mate when i get there i am not bothered what i do, its crap over here and probaly with a hung parliment even worse.

It will take a while for us to get the visa hopefully but although the excahnge rate is crap the pros of WA outway the crap of the UK.

God save the plumbers.... No more ACS or Gas Safe YEE HAA.

HI there Legoman, i just about to do my Vetassess as a general plumber, hopefully with a pass and a magic visa we will get to Perth, i am also a plumber.gasfitter but i tell you what mate when i get there i am not bothered what i do, its crap over here and probaly with a hung parliment even worse.

It will take a while for us to get the visa hopefully but although the excahnge rate is crap the pros of WA outway the crap of the UK.

God save the plumbers.... No more ACS or Gas Safe YEE HAA.

I know what you mean Nick, but trust me, Aus invented the red tape etc, courses for plumbing and gas, licence this and that, you will be pulling your hair out some days at it all. Stay positive though, and believe me, 6months into it in Oz and your views on the uk will lighten, we gas fitter plumbers had it good in uk.

cant wait to put my U-gauge on e-bay. will never use one again. :)

Mate i acnt wait to hang up the u-guage and flue gas anlalyser, great report, we too hopefully want to get to WA,Perth.

I actually would love never to plumb or gas ft again, maybe a job with no hassle, but that probaly will never happen.

Its good to speak to other plumbers who are there, as when i joined there did not seem to be many on PIO.

Just need to pass Vetassess and then get the magic visa untill then i will carry on swimming in the English Channel at 12 degrees. Bloody lovely.

Thanks for replynig and cheering me up.

All the best.

Nick the plumber ( Very hot and covered still in bloody fibreglass) LOL.....

Guest sparkylad

Appreciate your positive view on the plumbing licence issue. I am Plumber & had to renew my CCN1 plus all the others just before christmas, now its Gas Safe. Oftec are flexiing muscle too now so more money making schemes of British PLumbers. Funny I felt really angry when we moved to Geelong over 2 years go now and thought the TRA meant just that "trade reconigtion" well Vic-- gov coudlnt care less about TRA, But I forgotten the red tape we have in UK. We return to UK after 6+ months and are now looking at heading back to Aus maybe Perth & like u say I dont care if I do PLumbing in WA or not , be nice to set up my own business again though. Biggest concern for us is our kids education... we know the Aussie system is sssssssoooo different to say the least, if we do another ping pong dont wana mess up A levels..... g luck

Know what you re education, however I think the kids adapt much more easily than us. I will use the move as a career change. I'm not cut out to dig trenches in sand now. i likely to disappear never to be seen again anyhow. :)

Archived