How long to rent short term rental for

RoseBrown1972

Hi

Me, hubby and dog are planning on coming out in Nov and are not sure how long to get a short term furnished rental for. Our problem is that we have the dog in tow.

We will probably be coming over without jobs so relying on savings so need to keep costs down, we have found some accomodation that will take the dog but its expensive partly I assume because they allow pets but also because they are bigger than we need.

We had intended to rent this for about 3 months and hopefully find work then when we know finances and the areas find a long term rental.

So we thought that with quarantine she would be joining us a month later anyway so we could give our selves more short term options but just rent for a month and then use the month to find a long term rental that allows dogs. If we need to she could stay in UK kennels for a bit, but too long and the cost creeps up again.

What I'm needing to know - would a month be sufficient to find ourselves a long term rental?

Thanks

Guest Lui A xxx

Hi,

I have worried about the same thing. Like you, we have booked our holiday rental, and have opted for 8 weeks. We are hoping that this will be sufficient. I think sometimes you just have to make a decision, one way or another, and stick to it...!...lol...!..something I find quite diffficult...always thinking about the 'what if's'..lol..

Hope all goes well for you....i of course am also sat waiting now for peeps already that have 'been there...and done that'....to now tell us that they didn't find a long term rental in this time...!...lol..which will then get me into a spin..!...'gulp'...

Luan

xxx

Hi Luan

I'd be less worried if we didn't have the dog in tow, the added problem is that we don't have our visa yet. Our medical was november so I'm assuming that will be our activation date unless we can get an extension. But DIAC are taking the time with what should be a csl priority process, I'm now worried that we are fast running out of options as we can't commit to anything yet!

Fingers crossed!

Rose x

Guest adsmith

We had the exact same dilemma (as Im sure most people do) We have 2 dogs and are shipping all our stuff.

Like Luan says you kind of just have to do the maths, make the decision and then stick to it. Our stuff will take 8 weeks to get there, the dogs will take 4 to get out of quarantine so we went for an 8 week holiday rental that will allow us to bring in the dogs half way thru (for an extra bond)

good luck

Ad

Guest itskaren
Hi

Me, hubby and dog are planning on coming out in Nov and are not sure how long to get a short term furnished rental for. Our problem is that we have the dog in tow.

We will probably be coming over without jobs so relying on savings so need to keep costs down, we have found some accomodation that will take the dog but its expensive partly I assume because they allow pets but also because they are bigger than we need.

We had intended to rent this for about 3 months and hopefully find work then when we know finances and the areas find a long term rental.

So we thought that with quarantine she would be joining us a month later anyway so we could give our selves more short term options but just rent for a month and then use the month to find a long term rental that allows dogs. If we need to she could stay in UK kennels for a bit, but too long and the cost creeps up again.

What I'm needing to know - would a month be sufficient to find ourselves a long term rental?

Thanks

We had no option but to book a holiday cottage when we first came to Melbourne. However, the landlady was a shark and conned us bigtime! We were paying $1500 a month for what was no more than a converted garage. We signed everything (Stupidly) in the UK before arriving.

Ours was certainly a horror story! I won't bore you with all the details but it just cost us a fortune to say the least. Good luck:hug:

We had no option but to book a holiday cottage when we first came to Melbourne. However, the landlady was a shark and conned us bigtime! We were paying $1500 a month for what was no more than a converted garage. We signed everything (Stupidly) in the UK before arriving.

Ours was certainly a horror story! I won't bore you with all the details but it just cost us a fortune to say the least. We are just submitting plans to build a house in Melbourne that will have a self contained unit attached right next to a lake and park. Whe it is done (Dec 2010) will have great pleasure in offering it as short term accommodation for poms in oz members to save the awful mess that we got ourselves into! Good luck:hug:

$1500 a month is so cheap for a holiday rental!!! Most holiday rentals are around $800+ a week.

People usually book for 4 to 6 weeks. That's plenty of time to find a long term rental. You shouldn't have to pay more for a short term let which allows pets, but there are fewer around.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Guest9973

I'd suggest between 4 to 8 weeks. It gives you time to get over the jet lag ,sort out Medicare,/ Taxfiles numbers.

Then you can take your time and explore.:biggrin:

Most of our guests book 4 weeks here in Adelaide

Guest The Pom Queen
$1500 a month is so cheap for a holiday rental!!! Most holiday rentals are around $800+ a week.

People usually book for 4 to 6 weeks. That's plenty of time to find a long term rental. You shouldn't have to pay more for a short term let which allows pets, but there are fewer around.

Love

Rudi

x

Have to agree with Rudi, that's probably why it wasn't very nice. Unless you meant to say $1500 per week?

To the original poster, it really does depend on what area you are looking at and what state. Melbourne is nightmares for even a professional couple to get a property in a short period of time, so if you add children and pets in to the equation it can take forever. I had a family arrive a few weeks back now, they booked accommodation for 2 weeks as they thought they would have plenty of time. I tried to explain how the property market worked before they arrived but they thought they could get something sorted in 2 weeks, it ended up taking 6 weeks and because the original short term rental they were stopping in couldn't extend, they ended up in a hotel at $350 per night because there wasn't anything else available.

I think other states are easier than Melbourne as if a property is up for rent you can just get a key and go and look around, here in Melbourne it is done through Open for inspections, which can take 2 weeks to sort out.

I think as Rudi has said 4-6 weeks is about the right amount of time, you don't want to be in furnished accommodation longer than that because it is too expensive.

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen
I'd suggest between 4 to 8 weeks. It gives you time to get over the jet lag ,sort out Medicare,/ Taxfiles numbers.

Then you can take your time and explore.:biggrin:

Most of our guests book 4 weeks here in Adelaide

Tyke what is the long term rental situation like over your way? Are they 6/12 month tenancies? Do they have the stupid OFI system that Melbourne has?

Have to agree with Rudi, that's probably why it wasn't very nice. Unless you meant to say $1500 per week?

To the original poster, it really does depend on what area you are looking at and what state. Melbourne is nightmares for even a professional couple to get a property in a short period of time, so if you add children and pets in to the equation it can take forever. I had a family arrive a few weeks back now, they booked accommodation for 2 weeks as they thought they would have plenty of time. I tried to explain how the property market worked before they arrived but they thought they could get something sorted in 2 weeks, it ended up taking 6 weeks and because the original short term rental they were stopping in couldn't extend, they ended up in a hotel at $350 per night because there wasn't anything else available.

I think other states are easier than Melbourne as if a property is up for rent you can just get a key and go and look around, here in Melbourne it is done through Open for inspections, which can take 2 weeks to sort out.

I think as Rudi has said 4-6 weeks is about the right amount of time, you don't want to be in furnished accommodation longer than that because it is too expensive.

Kate

It's not so bad here in the area of Brisbane we live. I know a family who just arrived and they found a place no problem in 2 weeks. I know Melbourne is MUCH harder though.

I think it partly depends on what you are looking for. Finding places with a pool is harder.....and if you have pets too, then that narrows things down again. Some people are much pikkier than others........ The norm up here in Brissy is for an initial 6 month rental.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest The Pom Queen
It's not so bad here in the area of Brisbane we live. I know a family who just arrived and they found a place no problem in 2 weeks. I know Melbourne is MUCH harder though.

I think it partly depends on what you are looking for. Finding places with a pool is harder.....and if you have pets too, then that narrows things down again. Some people are much pikkier than others........ The norm up here in Brissy is for an initial 6 month rental.

Love

Rudi

x

Thanks Rudi

If you don't have children here then it's not bad as you are not having to be in certain catchment zones for the schools, but for families it can be nightmares. Most of the tenancies here are 12 months, I wish we had 6 month options, but when you know you have to be there for 12 months you want something nice and it makes finding somewhere even harder. Do you do the Open for Inspection system, agents just won't let people view here until the OFI's:arghh:

I agree with the others that you should definately have found somewhere within 8 weeks, even with a dog. I recommend 3 to 4 weeks if asked but it all depends if you want to do everything like a headless chicken or at a relaxed pace which is better if children are involved.

If you are bringing animals try to bring some pet refernces to submitt with your rental applications.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the advice! Perth is where we're looking at going. I think the 8 weeks option might be best and leave the dog in uk for an extra month that gives us plenty of time to find something nice and dog friendly.

The dog friendly website was expensive ( $700-$1000/week) because they were for upto 8 people and had pools it is just me and my hubby so we don't want to pay for more than we need, I've found some nice place for $440 a week for holiday letting which is within budget, right size and better areas just no dogs.

Shipping our stuff over is the next dilema- depends on when we sell the house but also which end do we want to be without our stuff! either way its a month without our furniture! I think UK might be the best option as we should be able to find a home for a month!

Re the doggy reference, we own our house here and have never rented so what would be our options- we have put her in kennels and occasionally left her with frinds/family would that do?

Thanks again x

Guest adsmith

Hey Rose,

The place we rented said 'no dogs' however I thought theres no harm in asking.

I sent my enquiry and told the owner about my 2 spaniels, I offered an extra bond and I also said Id be able to get a 'doggy reference' from my current landlord to certify that my dogs dont stink or chew furniture etc.

I think the bond was the clincher and Ive put up an extra $500 to secure the deal - my dogs arent hooligans or pongos so I should just get it straight back

All Im saying is that even though it says no animals its often worth asking the question as migrants offer a big 6-8 week booking.

best of luck again

Ad

Hi Ad

Thanks for advice, funny my hubby has just suggested the same! What we are most worried about is that we have been caught up in the DIAC slowdown so haven't got the visa yet but are concerned about running out of time to sort out accomodation as our activation date should be November. We're trying to be ready with our info so we know what we're doing when we get the go ahead.

My hubby has just suggested that we send in a provisional booking enquiry and ask the dog question and see what they say so that way when we are ready to commit we already know who will take dogs. So thats what I'm doing this weekend!

We've don't rent here so are going to struggle with the landlord reference for her!

Thanks again

Rose

Guest itskaren

Love

Rudi

x

Well it was for 6 months ..quite a long holiday accommodation but only ended up staying 2 months as I hated Mt Martha

Guest itskaren
Well it was for 6 months ..quite a long holiday accommodation but only ended up staying 2 months as I hated Mt Martha

And by the way it was a dreadful place so maybe that was why it was ''cheap''..

Guest Guest9973
Tyke what is the long term rental situation like over your way? Are they 6/12 month tenancies? Do they have the stupid OFI system that Melbourne has?

Good vacant rentals can be hard to come by, some areas have only a 0.05% vacancy rate.

Some real rubbish on the market at times!!:wacko:

6 month tenancies are very rare.Lots of Poms do break the 12 month leases early to buy the house of their dreams.

Not heard of the OFI system??

Fairly easy to get a rental legally here.

Viewing 15 mins only with 15 - 20 families viewing at times.:swoon:

Archived