estimated funds needed for 3 months in oz

Guest masaad

Guest masaad

hi...i'll be heading to melbourne next september (God willing) so i'm just wondering what money shall i prepare to take with me...given that we are a couple and assuming that i won't be able to find work for 3 months (hope not to be more than that smile.gif )

so can anyone who faced the same situation can tell me roughly speaking what will be the living cost per month for basic needs like food, petrol, rental ... ?

thanks all

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

It would depend on a few factors, for example, where do you want to live, in the CBD or in the outer suburbs? What kind of accommodation are you happy with, ie house share or a 1 bed apartment or studio? If you live in the CBD do you need a car? If you do need a car what is your budget, 2nd hand cars can be expensive and although you can pick them up for under $5k most of the time they are wrecks.

Kate

Melbourne is very, very expensive. Expect to pay at least $300 a week(probably more) for renting a 2 bed unit in the outer suburbs (smaller places don't really exist) and paying $170 a month to travel in to the CBD by train. Bread starts at $4 a loaf; petrol is $1.30 a litre (about the only thing I have found that's cheaper than in the UK; coffee is at least $3 a cup; sandwiches start at $6 but you'll probably pay $8. A cheap cafe meal will set you back $50 for two. Best of luck with job-hunting.

Melbourne is very, very expensive. Expect to pay at least $300 a week(probably more) for renting a 2 bed unit in the outer suburbs (smaller places don't really exist) and paying $170 a month to travel in to the CBD by train. Bread starts at $4 a loaf; petrol is $1.30 a litre (about the only thing I have found that's cheaper than in the UK; coffee is at least $3 a cup; sandwiches start at $6 but you'll probably pay $8. A cheap cafe meal will set you back $50 for two. Best of luck with job-hunting.

Hi Proud pom, Ive heard that gas/elec and council tax and water rates are cheeper that uk, is this true, what about, car insurance and car tax, hse insurance

Trains and busses are cheaper then uk as well, so ive heard

Tracey

Hi Proud pom, Ive heard that gas/elec and council tax and water rates are cheeper that uk, is this true, what about, car insurance and car tax, hse insurance

Trains and busses are cheaper then uk as well, so ive heard

Tracey

I don't know about utilities, but internet, for example, costs $70 a month for a package which is liable to run dry each month; a landline costs $40 + calls; car insurance is very expensive; trains and buses cost me $170 a month when they used to cost me £45 a month in the UK.

NB - there are slightly cheaper internet packages around but they don't serve the area I am hoping to live in.

Please believe me, Australia is a very, very high cost country these days.

Archived