Cat Curfews? QLD

nickyc88

Guest chris955

Unfortunately there are no cat curfews up here that I am aware of. Many irresponsible owners just let their cats roam free day and night.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

As far as I can tell there are no State laws that enact cat curfew in QLD. There are various local councils who have issued local laws about a cat curfew and all cats have to be registered and I believe desexed. Here is the link to Brisbane councils page about keeping cats.

Keeping a cat - Brisbane City Council

You will have to check the council whose area that you will be living in if not in Brisbane itself.

Personally I would always reccomend keeping a cat in at night for its own safety.

Guest chris955

I do have to question this, for it's own safety ? I would recommend cats are confined for the safety of the huge number of native animals they kill.

Personally I would always reccomend keeping a cat in at night for its own safety.

It often depends on which council area you are in. In the Redlands there are no specific rules about when cats should stay inside, the council do suggest you keep cats inside, at least at night. However, owners are limited to owning two cats.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi,

My friends cat was ripped to shreds by wild dogs in Chapel Hill, so yes we would want to do this.

Our cats wear big bells to stop them catching anything over here. The only creatures they bring in are earthworms! Hopefully this will work with Australian animals too.

Thank you all for your help - I'll check out those links.

My friends cat was ripped to shreds by wild dogs in Chapel Hill, so yes we would want to do this.

Our cats wear big bells to stop them catching anything over here. The only creatures they bring in are earthworms! Hopefully this will work with Australian animals too.

Should get him out of the earthworm habit ,in case he gets em mixed up with the scrub python lol

Guest chris955

Bells are only of limited use, for a start of course snakes can't hear them and because cats are very stealthy hunters I doubt a bell would make much noise.

Honestly the only responsible thing to do is to keep them in the house or in a cat run.

Bells are only of limited use, for a start of course snakes can't hear them and because cats are very stealthy hunters I doubt a bell would make much noise.

Honestly the only responsible thing to do is to keep them in the house or in a cat run.[

But chris hunted or the hunted

Honestly the only responsible thing to do is to keep them in the house or in a cat run.

You are getting boring now Chris - you've made you're point

Guest chris955

If getting boring is what it takes to get my point across then I guess I will have to get boring. Cats kill enormous numbers of native animals and I care very deeply about native animals, the vast majority of cat owners are not responsible unfortunately and if I can convince another one to be responsible by being boring then so be it. :biggrin:

I would think that more damage is done to our wildlife through humans ripping out trees and putting up buildings rather than a few cats !!

To the OP we have 2 cats, yes we do keep them in at night but we did in the UK also, they have routine like we do, when its our bedtime it's theirs as well. Where we live there are lots of cats and I wouldnt listen to all the rubbish on here about how cats are hated in Australia (not just talking about this thread but previous threads also). Like the UK there are people that love cats and people that don't, like any other pet.

Our cats love their lazy warm days here, I am sure yours will be happy too.

Good luck:wubclub:

Guest chris955

At no stage did I say cats caused the most damage to our wildlife, it is fairly obvious that humans are the worst feral animals in this country.

If there were only a few cats I agree it would be insignificant but there are many millions both domesticated and feral. I don't hate cats as animals but I hate irresponsible owners who allow their cats to kill the wildlife I love. I make no apologies for that.

I would think that more damage is done to our wildlife through humans ripping out trees and putting up buildings rather than a few cats !!

At no stage did I say cats caused the most damage to our wildlife, it is fairly obvious that humans are the worst feral animals in this country.

If there were only a few cats I agree it would be insignificant but there are many millions both domesticated and feral. I don't hate cats as animals but I hate irresponsible owners who allow their cats to kill the wildlife I love. I make no apologies for that.

Wasnt asking for a public apology, just airing my views like you are:wink:

Archived