Garden furniture-buy here or Oz?

mr luvpants

We saw some Rattan furniture at B&Q yesterday that we liked the look of. We decided not to buy it as it would be cheaper in oz. However after having a quick butchers on the tinternet it seems that garden furniture is quite expensive or am I not looking in the right places?

JOHN

PS Also is Rattan a good idea with Redbacks?

We saw some Rattan furniture at B&Q yesterday that we liked the look of. We decided not to buy it as it would be cheaper in oz. However after having a quick butchers on the tinternet it seems that garden furniture is quite expensive or am I not looking in the right places?

JOHN

PS Also is Rattan a good idea with Redbacks?

I'd buy it here, if you go to the right places you can pick up stuff quite reasonably, and I dont think you should worry about redbacks

Guest juliemtaylor

don't buy it in Uk if you are thinking rattan, wicker or untreated wood, will cost you too much in quarantine fees..

Julie x

Guest iselinger

I think that most Rattan these days isnt really Rattan and if it was in B&Q it almost certainly will be plastic.

The big thing that you need to watch out for is UV resistance as (I know from 55 years experience) there is nothing like as much UV in the UK as there is here.

You can get cheap stuff out here but as with most things you do tend to get what you pay for!

Guest chris955

Looking on their website they have lots of real rattan stuff but as has been said the quarantine service here can be very anal about these things and charge alot of fumigating so to make the move easier I would wait until you get here.

Guest iselinger
Looking on their website they have lots of real rattan stuff but as has been said the quarantine service here can be very anal about these things and charge alot of fumigating so to make the move easier I would wait until you get here.

I would be astounded if it was real Rattan in B&Q. The specification even says 'Rattan effect'

Real Rattan is not that common anymore either in the UK or in Australia. The simple fact is that plastic strapping is much cheaper, comes in very long lengths, is self coloured and is a consistent size unlike real Rattan which isn't any of these things and therefore much harder to manufacture furniture out of.

Guest guest17301

You can buy some gorgeous sets here John ranging from around $299 for a basic B&Q type circular table, umbrella and 4 folding chairs to more than $5000 plus for a solid wood 12 piece all singing all dancing set. Something nice with around 8 seats...(you need a big setting for all the entertaining) would probably set you back around $1000-$2000. All depends on what you're after I suppose. Theres nothing that I can think of that I'd advise people to buy from the UK other than ladies stock up on your favourite clothes, Clarks and Hush Puppy shoes, your next linen trousers etc, your nice bits and bobs from M&S etc...

• 6 months later...
I would be astounded if it was real Rattan in B&Q. The specification even says 'Rattan effect'

Real Rattan is not that common anymore either in the UK or in Australia. The simple fact is that plastic strapping is much cheaper, comes in very long lengths, is self coloured and is a consistent size unlike real Rattan which isn't any of these things and therefore much harder to manufacture furniture out of.

I have a bbq unused (charcoal) is that worth putting in the container or is everybody on gas.

Didnt know weather to sell in UK and buy a new one in Oz

Any Thoughts ??????

Guest iselinger
I have a bbq unused (charcoal) is that worth putting in the container or is everybody on gas.

Didnt know weather to sell in UK and buy a new one in Oz

Any Thoughts ??????

Most people use gas. If you are going to live in a high fire risk area (most of Oz) then you may not be able to use it during the nice part of the year!

Archived