Loan rates to hit 10%

kernow43

That would be me then, i would have no problem buying a reposession, surley thats the name of the property game, buy when prices are low and sell when they are high.

my gripe is with the people on here that seem to revel in the fact that people may have their home repossessed. Comments like "don,t call them unfortunate but silly." and labeling people as "fools' for wanting to buy their own homes is IMO smug and snobbish.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my gripe is with the people on here that seem to revel in the fact that people may have their home repossessed. Comments like "don,t call them unfortunate but silly." and labeling people as "fools' for wanting to buy their own homes is IMO smug and snobbish.

Yes Aldo I said that so you can mention my name. 1. I don't revel. 2. Yes I call people who want a swimming pool ,theatre etc instead of a basic house, then get a 100% and in some cases 105% mortgage, based on two incomes, then the wife gets pregnant, something may happen to his job, and they are in trouble, big trouble. Sorry they are not silly, just damn plain stupid!

Anyone sensible would not be put in this situation.

Too many people live & want to live beyond their means.

In days of old 3-3.5x salary was the ceiling on what the banks were prepared to lend as a mortgage. Even to borrow $500k (how many sub $500k houses are there left in Sydney, Perth or Melbourne?) would have required a $50k deposit and a $150k income. So everyone earning less than $150k and living in a $500k house is living beyond their means?

then the wife gets pregnant, something may happen to his job, and they are in trouble, big trouble. Sorry they are not silly, just damn plain stupid!

Anyone sensible would not be put in this situation.

millions of people have been miss sold mortgages and are/have been victims of hard sell tactics, this doesn't make them stupid IMO, more victims.

In days of old 3-3.5x salary was the ceiling on what the banks were prepared to lend as a mortgage. Even to borrow $500k (how many sub $500k houses are there left in Sydney, Perth or Melbourne?) would have required a $50k deposit and a $150k income. So everyone earning less than $150k and living in a $500k house is living beyond their means?

My sentiments exactly, in one way it is the Banks are to blame for lending the money. I am darn sure if this was the case and banks more strict as in the early years we wouldn't have house prices like we have now.

Guest chris955

Exactly. Now the banks are lending in excess of 7 times salary which is just mind boggling.

caveat emptor

Is that size and colour alright for you:yes:

KNOBHEAD

no one in-particular, just felt like writing in big purple letters and that word sprang to mind

Archived