cost of living

Guest emmaandjay

Guest Guest31881
Now I want a comparison versus Brisbane and Tasmania:twitcy: no we dont need rain coats here, just a good brolly on occasions, I am bringing my cyclone bars over from Karratha just for the stubbie holders, and our rain water is delicious now what have you got to say for yourself young Colin and Bob eh??

Seems strange to use a brolly to collect rain water, but hey, it is tasmania, :wink::biglaugh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I remember very clearly when you could buy a 3 bedroom house in the UK for 25,000 quid but it's totally irrelevant nowadays.

House prices vary enormously as they do anywhere, we are 30k's from Brisbane and the median price is around $450,000, go to a rough area and it would be $300,000 or go into Brisbane and closer to $700,000 and up.

Guest siamsusie
Bob im sure you have bought a few houses in all the years youve been here fr buttons but for people who are moving out here from the uk in the present day could not buy a house for the pices you are quoting.. it is just rediculas to compair house prices from nineteen canteen to todays market.. houses were i live neer the cost ae not going for less than 550.000 but mostly far above that no matter what the guide price says,

I live in Aspendale in Melbourne..

Dizzy to be fair, yes the prices in Melbourne are high, as they are in Wa... up north we have just sold our home brought in the 80's for 40 grand sold this week for $840.... and thats for a 3 x 1 , its just the land it has been built on basically. Here in Tasmania you can still buy a sweet cottage for around 185,000 in some areas but of course for some , work would be the problem. It really does depend on the state, work opportunities etc

Guest siamsusie

Seems strange to use a brolly to collect rain water, but hey, it is tasmania, :wink::biglaugh:

I have had my eye on those free ones with "Launceston Airport" on them, huge they are:wink:

Guest SO,DIZZY
Funny thing is! the Op asked for costs in Queensland? Not Melbourne.

The poster was told that my prices were for Melbourne and also informed it was relative to what one gets in there wage packets... but I am of the opinion that Australia is as expensive in one state in general terms than another.. and I am also of the opinion that Queensland is more expensive than Victoria....

I remember very clearly when you could buy a 3 bedroom house in the UK for 25,000 quid but it's totally irrelevant nowadays.

House prices vary enormously as they do anywhere, we are 30k's from Brisbane and the median price is around $450,000, go to a rough area and it would be $300,000 or go into Brisbane and closer to $700,000 and up.

I really dont think the prices differ greatly now from state to state especially in arond the cities, closer to any city ie 9k's out and it is so expensive, you are right on above prices we live an hour out of melbourne and would pay 450-550 for a house, yes live in a rough area you get it cheaper, but who wants to live in a rough area? the house prices are now for a lot of people coming over on average one wage with kids unless they are cashed up will struggle.

Bob im sure you have bought a few houses in all the years youve been here for buttons but for the people who are moving out here from the uk in the present day they could not buy a house for the pices you are quoting.. it is just rediculas to compair house prices from nineteen canteen to todays market.. houses were I live near the coast are not going for any less than 550.000 but mostly far above that no matter what the guide price says, further up the coast they are lower but not much and worse areas..

I live in Aspendale in Melbourne..

Those last two houses I mentioned, they were sold a few weeks ago.

You chose to live in Smellbum, you accept the market.

Cheers, Bobj.

What an absolute load of bollocks...er... waffle.:laugh: Having spent 10 years in Qld, 23 years in NSW and 14 years in WA, one has to refute virtually all you have said. Bought a house for $21,000 and sold it for $65,000, in NSW. Built a house in Qld, $100,000 And that included a 12.5% levy for cyclone rating... 2 houses opposite me just sold for $320,000 and 342,000 (both 3 bed)...both within 150 metres of a tropical beach...

My son lives in The Darwin and has a wife and 2 babes and is managing on $46,000, he is renting and gets a Government subsidy and loves the place.

I live in the Qld tropics and have 3 air-con units in my 3 bedroom house, cost for our summer leccy was $365. And I think our overall temps are a bit higher than where you are and more humid.

It is Australia, with different attitudes, different values and different lifestyles...Take it anyway you want.

For those who coming out here, take very little notice of what So Dizzy has said... She really has got a bee in her (expensive) bonnet.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Yeah mate, your experience dates back nearly 50 years, a totally different ball game than trying to get on the ladder now.

So Dizzys figures are correct. For city living: $550k for a reasonable abode, $1600 a month to rent it.

Yes it does depend where you are, I do not know of anyone who can support a wife and 2 kids on $46k in Melbourne, sorry, not unless they just live on minute noodles.

Why is your son renting in the first place if it is so easy to buy????????

Those last two houses I mentioned, they were sold a few weeks ago.

You chose to live in Smellbum, you accept the market.

Cheers, Bobj.

Well, we are all spready out over the place and for various reasons, Cities for jobs etc etc. If we all came up to your tropical beach we would push up your prices too !!!!!

Guest chris955

With 100,000 moving to this area every year it wont be long before they are knocking on Bob's door. :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

With 100,000 moving to this area every year it wont be long before they are knocking on Bob's door. :biggrin:

The unromantic bedroom with all the fishing piccies is mine:wink:he promised me ! x

Yeah mate, your experience dates back nearly 50 years, a totally different ball game than trying to get on the ladder now.

So Dizzys figures are correct. For city living: $550k for a reasonable abode, $1600 a month to rent it.

Yes it does depend where you are, I do not know of anyone who can support a wife and 2 kids on $46k in Melbourne, sorry, not unless they just live on minute noodles.

Why is your son renting in the first place if it is so easy to buy????????

Army wallah, cheaper for him.:tongue:

But, for city living, it is a matter of suit the pocket, suit the dwelling??? And some city prices are cheaper than others, surely...Smellbum and Sydney are known for high prices, as is London. Then again, Adelaide and Hobart have cheaper prices. Win some, lose some.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest SO,DIZZY

We live 45 mins drive from the city if traffic is good an hour and a half in rush hour some days.. so its hardly on our door step , we like a lot of people need to be central for work there just isnt the opertunity to live further away...

Thanks for reminding me that this is an open forum.........bloody hell id forgotten that lol.

No, I dont live rent free, I do pay rent and

believe it or not also pay some bills and we quite often go shopping as we also have to eat. I can also say that I have not just come back from a ban for being insulting to other people on here, but now you are back you are making yourself known again arnt you. We did our research very well before we moved over here and knew exactly what we'd be paying for what and also how the wages compared to that. Its like they say, you dont like it get out

End

I think the original post was from Emma with three children, not sure if they will be on one wage and what will that wage be, do you have children, are you two wage earners or one, you see for some it is more expensive to live here then others so when someone asks a question about how cheap or expensive it is to live people in similar circumtances can answer, because we with kids know of all the hidden costs involved in living here better then people that dont have children.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I think the original post was from Emma with three children, not sure if they will be on one wage and what will that wage be, do you have children, are you two wage earners or one, you see for some it is more expensive to live here then others so when someone asks a question about how cheap or expensive it is to live people in similar circumtances can answer, because we with kids know of all the hidden costs involved in living here better then people that dont have children.

Yes we have 4 children and yes we both are working and we also live in Brisbane

Yvonne

We live 45 mins drive from the city if traffic is good an hour and a half in rush hour some days.. so its hardly on our door step , we like a lot of people need to be central for work there just isnt the opertunity to live further away...

Bugga!!! That is all of 28 km... I live 50 km from my local city and get there in 35-40 minutes. Cheaper for us, hey?:wink:

Swings and roundabouts, etc...

Cheers, Bobj

BTW, liked the east side of Smellbum, more than the west side. I lived in an outer suburb...Esssendon.

Guest chris955

6 people in the house and you pay $150 for electricity, a QUARTER ? I want to know your secret, honestly. I think the average bill is between $350-400 so you are doing exceptionally well.

Yes we have 4 children and yes we both are working and we also live in Brisbane

Yvonne

Wow, do you live in a tent ? I have mine in front of me now $449 for the quarter and we rarely use the air con.

Our last electric bill was $94 for the quarter and no we don't live in a tent.

A modest 3x2 house without aircon.

Guest AndyandYvonneD

Nope they dont, various personal reasons, but as stated earlier its swings and roundabouts with money etc. In other words, what is not spent here on various things is sent to UK

Guest chris955

Well that is absolutely amazing, I wouldn't be able to get our bill down to that for a month.

Our last electric bill was $94 for the quarter and no we don't live in a tent.

A modest 3x2 house without aircon.

Guest chris955

Yes I do apologise, you answered the question in such a way as to maybe suggest they lived with you. Regardless that is still an enviably small electric bill.

PMSL........... and what other interesting things can you tell me about myself

What i meant was that Emma asked for the cost of living here with a family of 5 meaning 3 kids so the difference of living here with children is different to living here without, I did not mean anything wrong by it, but the cost difference can be huge with kids that is all, i do apologise if I have upset you it was not meant.

Archived