RRV from outside of Aus.

Woofyhugger

Hi Guys.

I just have a question or two on getting a Resident Return Visa from outside of Australia.

I had every intention of getting a RRV before I left Australia the other week, but I was in such a mad rush, it had slipped my mind. I know, I know, I don't need a lecture on what I should have done before leaving, the fact is what's done is done, and I now need to apply for a RRV from the UK.

Has anyone had any personal experience with applying for a RRV outside of Australia to return home?

I have read the eligibility and it seems I am definitely eligible. But I won't be happy until the fat lady sings.

Basically I arrived in Oz in 1974 as a 3 year old on the folks passport. Lived there all my life as a permanent resident and never ever left the country at all. 36 years later, I get my first british passport (a few months ago), and just over a week ago headed to the UK where I am now. Without a RRV or Citizenship. Yes.. I know!

Now I know you can apply for them whilst overseas, and I fit the eligibility as I have never left the country my entire life up until a week and a bit ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I will get a RRV or not? Considering my whole life is in Australia. I still have a rental property I am renting, my bank accounts, job, finances, everything is Australian.. even my dogs are there still with my partner.

I just want to have the opportunity to go home. Again, I know I should have done this before I left but the bottom line is I didn't and I don't need reminding. I am already beating myself up enough over this stupid matter.

I just want some hope or advice.

Matt

:confused:

Guest siamsusie
Hi Guys.

I just have a question or two on getting a Resident Return Visa from outside of Australia.

I had every intention of getting a RRV before I left Australia the other week, but I was in such a mad rush, it had slipped my mind. I know, I know, I don't need a lecture on what I should have done before leaving, the fact is what's done is done, and I now need to apply for a RRV from the UK.

Has anyone had any personal experience with applying for a RRV outside of Australia to return home?

I have read the eligibility and it seems I am definitely eligible. But I won't be happy until the fat lady sings.

Basically I arrived in Oz in 1974 as a 3 year old on the folks passport. Lived there all my life as a permanent resident and never ever left the country at all. 36 years later, I get my first british passport (a few months ago), and just over a week ago headed to the UK where I am now. Without a RRV or Citizenship. Yes.. I know!

Now I know you can apply for them whilst overseas, and I fit the eligibility as I have never left the country my entire life up until a week and a bit ago.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I will get a RRV or not? Considering my whole life is in Australia. I still have a rental property I am renting, my bank accounts, job, finances, everything is Australian.. even my dogs are there still with my partner.

I just want to have the opportunity to go home. Again, I know I should have done this before I left but the bottom line is I didn't and I don't need reminding. I am already beating myself up enough over this stupid matter.

I just want some hope or advice.

Matt

:confused:

Resident Return Visa Special Circumstances

A permanent resident who has left Australia without a return visa and needs to return urgently, may apply for a provisional Resident Return Visa (RRV), even if they cannot provide proof of their permanent resident status (for example, where documents have been stolen).

dima_rrv - Australian High Commission

Hi Matt I dont know whether the above helps.... :wubclub: ps. hope you are having fun:hug:

Thanks Hon,

The Provisional RRV looks like a sure fire way to return, even if it's not the 5 year one. To be honest, if I had to go back tomorrow I would, if it meant doing things right (the second time). I don't mind if I don't get a 5 year RRV, just as long as I get one to go back.

I am having fun here, and loving MCR and London, despite a lovely cold I have got on arrival ;) I just want to go home sooner or later.

:hug:

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Hon,

The Provisional RRV looks like a sure fire way to return, even if it's not the 5 year one. To be honest, if I had to go back tomorrow I would, if it meant doing things right (the second time). I don't mind if I don't get a 5 year RRV, just as long as I get one to go back.

I am having fun here, and loving MCR and London, despite a lovely cold I have got on arrival ;) I just want to go home sooner or later.

:hug:

Good to know you are fine and enjoying yourself, your meeting with your brother will be so emotional, when you are in London no harm with all your details nipping into Ozzie House and organising everything... get better soon and:hug: Susie

I have a friend who lives here in the UK whose Mum visited from Oz last year, without realising that she needed an RRV to get home again (she had lived in Oz on a UK passport for decades and never left the country!) They managed to get it all sorted in a day, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good luck!

Hi..i lived in Aus from 1966 (at the age of three) to 1977, when i returned with my parents..then in 1998 i applied for a Former Residents Visa, and was granted that for 5 years, for myself and my family in 1999..we have since been and returned from Aus..also being granted a RRV when the first visa expired, as we were outside of Aus..had no problems getting the Former Residents Visa or the RRV outside of Aus, as i had all the criteria..so you have many more years and shouldn't have a problem either..all the best..

here is a useful link i hope.. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/151/

or surely you can apply for Citizenship..i think you can do it from overseas if you enquire?..that would be a better option..

Tess:cute:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Matt

I am pretty sure that the Aussie High Commission in London will grant you a 5 year RRV even though you are not in Australia. The people in London seem to be very flexible about this one.

Don't worry. Just explain the situation to the Aussie High Commission in London, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Matt

DIAC have easily accessed arrival/departure records from 01 January 1973, so they should be able to confirm your arrival and continued residence from 1974. Only if you had arrived prior to 1973 would they need your precise arrival details and then they would need to go through passenger lists - a much more drawn-out procedure. Sometimes your arrival may not be easily found due to a misspelling of your name but, from what you have said, and depending on when you want to return, they will grant you a 5 year RRV if at all possible, otherwise the provisional RRV is a definite - If you do return on the provisional, make sure you regularise your status on return to Australia.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I am going to go to London in the next couple days and get it happening now. When I get back I intend to get my citizenship, it's well overdue, and will save future worry.

I have in the past requested a certificate of residency (twice actually, once for my Victorian Drivers Licence and also for Centrelink) so I know they have me on record thankfully.

Very much appreciate your and everyone's reply, my mind is at ease now.

Thank you all.

Matt

Hey Guys.

I went to Australia House today in London to hand in my application for a RRV.

Got there are 9am.. there was a bit of a line but didnt take long to get in. My case was complicated because the wetstamp I had from 1974 was not enough to prove residency, and I wasn't "on their computer system" apparently. The immigration officer got the supervisor to chat to me, I showed them all the cards in my wallet, and some stuff like education reports, tax statement and stuff and she was happy, and I got my 5 year RRV in my passport there and then. At least I am on immigrations computer now and they said I won't have trouble again.

Anyway I am going to get my citizenship as soon as I get back to oz, then I won't have to worry about RRVs.

Cheers

Matt

Guest siamsusie
Hey Guys.

I went to Australia House today in London to hand in my application for a RRV.

Got there are 9am.. there was a bit of a line but didnt take long to get in. My case was complicated because the wetstamp I had from 1974 was not enough to prove residency, and I wasn't "on their computer system" apparently. The immigration officer got the supervisor to chat to me, I showed them all the cards in my wallet, and some stuff like education reports, tax statement and stuff and she was happy, and I got my 5 year RRV in my passport there and then. At least I am on immigrations computer now and they said I won't have trouble again.

Anyway I am going to get my citizenship as soon as I get back to oz, then I won't have to worry about RRVs.

Cheers

Matt

:hug:Matt delighted for you, now enjoy London:hug: love susie x

Archived