ACT Sponsorship Changes

George Lombard

Just in from the ACT:

The ACT SDL update will not affect clients whose Cv’s have been verified for consideration before 01 April 2010.

ACT Skills in Demand List – effective 01 April 2010.

· The following occupations have been closed and will not be considered for ACT Government sponsorship after 01 April 2010:

ASCO: 2294 - Business and Organisation Analyst

2221 - Marketing and Advertising Professionals

2533 - Designer and Illustrators

2422 - Teacher VET

· The following occupation has been limited – ACT Government sponsorship will be restricted:

ASCO: 3421 - Welfare Associate professionals

• The following occupations have been removed from the ACT SDL Baseline and added to the ACT SDL Quota. Please note: the proficient English criteria now applies to these occupations. These occupations must now be verified before an application for sponsorship is lodged.

ASCO: 2231-11 Systems Manager; Proficient English.

2231-13 Systems Designer; Proficient English.

2231-15 Software Designer; Proficient English.

2231-17 Applications and Analyst Programmer; Proficient English.

2231-19 Systems Programmer; Proficient English.

2231-21Computer Systems Auditor; Proficient English.

2211 - Accountant; Proficient English.

2212 - Accountant – External Auditor;Proficient English.

4931 - Hairdresser – Proficient English.

Applicants seeking sponsorship for a quota occupation must contact the ACT Government, by email businessmigration@act.gov.au, to verify that the quota is still open for the nominated occupation before lodging the sponsorship application.

o The email must include a current:

§ curriculum Vitae (CV) clearly stating current and past work experience;

§ current skill assessment in the nominated occupation; and

§ IELTS (if applicable)

o The applicant will be informed, by email, whether the occupation has been verified. Verification is not a guarantee that the sponsorship application will be approved, only that it will be accepted and assessed against the sponsorship criteria.

o If an application for a quota occupation is lodged before it is verified, it will be automatically recommended for refusal.

Forgive me if I'm asking questions that will probably seem daft when I've woken up properly, but if that means they've filled their quota for the first 4 occupatios on your list above, that they have enough. Therefore, is it unlikely that those occupations would be on the new SMP? Or would it work the other way around?

Hi Lavender,

No, they represent different trends. The four which are closed are generally in oversupply at the moment and if all of them survive the change to the new SOL I will be surprised, but I will be just as surprised if they are all abolished. In particular, if the shift from skilled trades visas continues then the VET teachers will be in demand Australia-wide as governments will be forced to train their own tradies.

Moving IT, accounting and hairdressing to the quota with proficient English is essentially because the ACT had had some demand for these occupations which is now tending to meet their needs and can afford to be more choosy about new applicants. This doesn't say much about national trends, since for some time the ACT has been one of the more convenient boltholes for generalist IT applicants, hairdressers and accountants without proficient English.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George. I'm particularly concerned about the VET teachers. Although the scenario you mention above (training own tradies) would probably not benefit me directly, it may have a knock on effect. Among other things, I teach English and Maths to students on Vocational courses.

I know some people on here had recieved replies from ACT saying they hoped to get all occupations on their current lists onto the SMP, but now, with this latest alteration, I'm doubtful.

Do you think there's any hope that VET will make it onto the list, or has this change ruled that out? (Just to get me through this long day of 10 hours back to back teaching!!!!!)

Just in from the ACT:

The ACT SDL update will not affect clients whose Cv’s have been verified for consideration before 01 April 2010.

·The following occupations have been closed and will not be considered for ACT Government sponsorship after 01 April 2010:

2422 - Teacher VET

·The following occupation has been limited – ACT Government sponsorship will be restricted:

• The following occupations have been removed from the ACT SDL Baseline and added to the ACT SDL Quota. Please note: the proficient English criteria now applies to these occupations. These occupations must now be verified before an application for sponsorship is lodged.

Applicants seeking sponsorship for a quota occupation must contact the ACT Government, by email businessmigration@act.gov.au, to verify that the quota is still open for the nominated occupation before lodging the sponsorship application.

oThe email must include a current:

§curriculum Vitae (CV) clearly stating current and past work experience;

§current skill assessment in the nominated occupation; and

§IELTS (if applicable)

oThe applicant will be informed, by email, whether the occupation has been verified. Verification is not a guarantee that the sponsorship application will be approved, only that it will be accepted and assessed against the sponsorship criteria.

oIf an application for a quota occupation is lodged before it is verified, it will be automatically recommended for refusal.

Hi George

Thanks for the update.

We applied for SS with the ACT on 2nd March under ASCO 2231-11. Our SS has not been approved as yet.

Can you explain how this will affect our application?

Thanks

Suzanne

Just in from the ACT:

· The following occupations have been closed and will not be considered for ACT Government sponsorship after 01 April 2010:

2422 - Teacher VET

· The following occupation has been limited – ACT Government sponsorship will be restricted:

o The email must include a current:

§ curriculum Vitae (CV) clearly stating current and past work experience;

§ current skill assessment in the nominated occupation; and

§ IELTS (if applicable)

o The applicant will be informed, by email, whether the occupation has been verified. Verification is not a guarantee that the sponsorship application will be approved, only that it will be accepted and assessed against the sponsorship criteria.

o If an application for a quota occupation is lodged before it is verified, it will be automatically recommended for refusal.

Thanks for the update George.

Do you know if this will affect us too as we lodged SS for 2231-17 Application & Analyst Programmer yesterday with ACT via our Agent. My OH did actually sit IELTS on 6th March and got his results yesterday, Overall score = 9. So suppose that will go in our favour?

Thanks for any advice. Seems that everytime we submit something or are about to something changes.:arghh:

Claire

Update : our agent has confirmed that as our App is lodged we are not affected by these changes. Ta, Claire

Guest Wannabeoz
Thanks George. I'm particularly concerned about the VET teachers. Although the scenario you mention above (training own tradies) would probably not benefit me directly, it may have a knock on effect. Among other things, I teach English and Maths to students on Vocational courses.

I know some people on here had recieved replies from ACT saying they hoped to get all occupations on their current lists onto the SMP, but now, with this latest alteration, I'm doubtful.

Do you think there's any hope that VET will make it onto the list, or has this change ruled that out? (Just to get me through this long day of 10 hours back to back teaching!!!!!)

I think it just means the quota for those four occupations for this financial year has closed - they had a quota last year when I was applying, as they only had a limited number of places for certain occupations. I hope so anyway, and that they put all the occupations on the SMP!

Thanks! I'm a bit worried. If it's closed, then they've obviously got enough of those occupations. My main worry is that now these occupations won't be in demand, then they won't put it onto the SMP. I just keep holding onto the fact that they've said they want all occupations on their lists to go onto the SMP.

Even though I'd resigned myself to a loooong wait after Sept 23, when news of the SMP came out, I started to have a bit of hope again. I don't think I can wait 3 years now! I need to win the lottery.

Guest Wannabeoz
Thanks! I'm a bit worried. If it's closed, then they've obviously got enough of those occupations. My main worry is that now these occupations won't be in demand, then they won't put it onto the SMP. I just keep holding onto the fact that they've said they want all occupations on their lists to go onto the SMP.

Even though I'd resigned myself to a loooong wait after Sept 23, when news of the SMP came out, I started to have a bit of hope again. I don't think I can wait 3 years now! I need to win the lottery.

That's my worry too! I had also almost given up hope, but then heard about the SMPs, AND the ACT said they would put all of their occupations on the list, so I got my hopes up again! But you're right, what does it mean if their quota is closed? I guess we just have to wait and see, but I'm not sure how much more of that I can do!

so with welfare associate prof being limited, they are required to have ielts of 7, so we need to sit ielts before we could apply? also if theyre limited whats the chances of being accepted without full funds? slim to none?

If welfare associate is already on the offlist you will have to do the ielt. If its still on the baseline but limited you wont have to do the ielt. Also with the offlist you will need your skills verfified before you can put through you SS. As regards the funds the ACT are quite strict but you can write up a declaration to show how you will support yourself. They also ask you for details on equity that you may have. We just put our SS through three weeks ago - any q's id be glad to help if I can :biggrin:Suzanne

Guest shahzads

I have applied for SS on 9th March 2010 as a 2231-79 Network Security. What do u think, when i will get the answer.

I have applied for SS on 9th March 2010 as a 2231-79 Network Security. What do u think, when i will get the answer.

On their website their current processing times are "30 working days" or about 6 weeks or so. Probably more like 7-8 weeks from what I have seen on here.

You should hear by end April / start May hopefully.

Good luck, we applied on 22 March so we hope we are not too far behind you.

Claire

Archived