Planning to Commute!

Guest ChrisLan

Guest ChrisLan

Here goes with my first ever forum posting! My OH Karen is also writing a new Thread so it could be interesting to compare notes!

Quick update:

1. Left UK for Brisbane end Jan08 - I appreciate I'm incredibly fortunate with employer-sponsored permanent visa. Before we left Karen and I wrote a list of why we were emigrating - mine was very work orientated, Karen's was very home/family orientated.

2. So, 2+ years on! Karen unfortunately misses her M&D terribly.

3. The Plan: Karen and the boys (6 & 17 years) are heading back to the UK at end of November. I (stupid boy!) am going to try to commute - 3 weeks Brissie, 1 week UK. Work have been great - saying they'll fit in with whatever works for us (maybe 6w:2w etc) - they'll even pay my flights. I've never felt so valued or valuable as I do now work-wise.

4. Quick Summary of my experiences to date:

a. Property rental comparatively high, food etc similar

b. Medical costs can add up - junior has mild cerebral palsy - no financial support here compared to UK

c. Schools - both boys in State schools, very happy. Read a few comments on poor education over here but even junior gets reading/writing homework each night - great quality time for the two of us in the morning!

d. Surprises: Brissie is very green & very hilly!

e. Contrasts: The one word I use when asked to compare difference with UK is 'respect' - absent in UK, still evident here - although I suspect slipping.

f. Frustrations: Why don't drivers thank you when you let them pull out?! - or pedestrians when you stop at a zebra crossing?! Why do they deliberately push in when left lane ends rather than simply anticipate. My only explanation is that we don't thank the drivers stopped at a red traffic light - but it gets to me every day!

g. Disappointments: Amount of rain - "we need it" is wearing a bit thin! Constant high temperatures and humidity - affects Karen more than me.

h. Delights: Garden full of wild birds in the morning. Oops - must think of some more!

You've probably all fallen asleep by now so I'll stop!

Best wishes to you all.

p.s. I've noted a distinct friendlier tone in Thread responses compared to two years ago - any hint of disappointment used to receive the unhelpful 'so go back then' response.

Chris

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Chris

What a great post.

Firstly I think you should be in the Guinness Book of Records for the longest commute to work.

I hope that the trip back to the UK works for you all as a family and remember, it doesn't matter where you live as long as YOU as a family are happy.

Big hugs

Kate

Having got off the plane this morning from a holiday at home I wish you all the very best with that commute! You will become expert at sleeping in confined spaces I am sure - hope they are paying business class for you!

Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you all!

Here goes with my first ever forum posting! My OH Karen is also writing a new Thread so it could be interesting to compare notes!

Quick update:

1. Left UK for Brisbane end Jan08 - I appreciate I'm incredibly fortunate with employer-sponsored permanent visa. Before we left Karen and I wrote a list of why we were emigrating - mine was very work orientated, Karen's was very home/family orientated.

2. So, 2+ years on! Karen unfortunately misses her M&D terribly.

3. The Plan: Karen and the boys (6 & 17 years) are heading back to the UK at end of November. I (stupid boy!) am going to try to commute - 3 weeks Brissie, 1 week UK. Work have been great - saying they'll fit in with whatever works for us (maybe 6w:2w etc) - they'll even pay my flights. I've never felt so valued or valuable as I do now work-wise.

4. Quick Summary of my experiences to date:

a. Property rental comparatively high, food etc similar

b. Medical costs can add up - junior has mild cerebral palsy - no financial support here compared to UK

c. Schools - both boys in State schools, very happy. Read a few comments on poor education over here but even junior gets reading/writing homework each night - great quality time for the two of us in the morning!

d. Surprises: Brissie is very green & very hilly!

e. Contrasts: The one word I use when asked to compare difference with UK is 'respect' - absent in UK, still evident here - although I suspect slipping.

f. Frustrations: Why don't drivers thank you when you let them pull out?! - or pedestrians when you stop at a zebra crossing?! Why do they deliberately push in when left lane ends rather than simply anticipate. My only explanation is that we don't thank the drivers stopped at a red traffic light - but it gets to me every day!

g. Disappointments: Amount of rain - "we need it" is wearing a bit thin! Constant high temperatures and humidity - affects Karen more than me.

h. Delights: Garden full of wild birds in the morning. Oops - must think of some more!

You've probably all fallen asleep by now so I'll stop!

Best wishes to you all.

p.s. I've noted a distinct friendlier tone in Thread responses compared to two years ago - any hint of disappointment used to receive the unhelpful 'so go back then' response.

Chris

We're doing something similar at the moment. I came back to the UK at Christmas with our children because they were so unhappy at school in Sydney and because our eldest is 15 (yr 10) we didn't have time to waste re gcses. My oh couldn't find a job that quickly in the UK at his level, so he is working in Melbourne and we're flying out at easter and for the UK summer holidays to see him. He has also done the flying in for one or two days then out again, so it can be done. It's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be - when you're busy with work/school etc the time passes so quickly.

We have quite a few friends who do the same thing - live in Aus or UK and work in Russia, Middle East, America etc. I'm living in the house of one of them now while he's away!

I do hope though, as Quoll says, that they're flying you business class. I'm already dreading being cooped up for over 24 hours next week!!

Good luck

Guest Ruth27

Fingers crossed for free upgrades from the carrier...I got them with Emirates travelleing Bham to Sydney (but only when I was travelling alone), ab fab to travel business class on the emirates Airbus!!!

all sounds very stressful for all.....good luck!

Guest ChrisLan

It's good to know that others 'commute' between Oz and UK etc. - thanks for replying.

I'm afraid the best I can hope for is Premium Economy - although not all airlines offer this.

Yes, my OH & junior will be coming over to Brissie during the UK school summer holiday - best time of year as well!

Regards, Chris

Guest ChrisLan

I'm certainly no expert - but here goes - noting we've only effectively done day/weekend trips out of Brissie. We really like the Hinterland of both Sunshine Coast (Maleny / Montville) and Gold Coast (Lamington National Park). Our 'soft' RAV4 manages to do a great job on the forest tracks. As you'll be aware, there's numerous beaches - we prefer Bribie Island for junior. We do the 'carry on camping' bit - our favourite spot is Bunya. As I said though - there's hundreds of things to see that we haven't even touched - particularly the islands. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. Is camping good at that time of year? We went to GC last year when oh was at a conference, so somewhere else would be good. I like the idea of an island and beach as long as it's warm enough!

Thanks for replying and good luck with everything.

Guest ChrisLan

We've always gone camping in Winter - although we've noted up to 10'C drops in temperature if you go up the 'mountains' - which should definitely help in Summer.

Archived