This is fantastic news!

kernow43

This is what the world really needs.

Nissan to build electric car in Britain

Nissan to build electric car in Britain - Telegraph

If it comes to Australia I would want to be among the first to buy one.

This could really inject a lot into the economy.

Just hope Brown doesn't take too much glory from it.

It attracted my attention too. I hope it works out for Nissan as it is a big lump of cash to part with. Hopefully there will be a suitable market for it even though a lot of folks have taken advantage of the car scrappage scheme recently....

I read the article - 'The car is marketed as “the world’s first affordable, mass-produced, zero-emission car.” ' and my heart sank a little. Get a grip - zero-emission. It is a step in the right direction though if it is seen to work for Nissan.

Just heard it on the news. Though they did say 'hundreds' of jobs being secure, not thousands ??

I know but it could increase, to me it is the concept that we could make a start to get rid of oil companies and also being reliant on the oil producing countries. Maybe it will help towards peace in these places, but will certainly help towards our environment.

Why shouldn't Brown take the credit for it? He's blamed when everything and anything goes wrong so applying that logic he should receive credit where things go well.

zero-emission car,ok if the people you supply the electricity, stopped using fossil fuel

Good point, maybe nuclear? I am not sure but better than oil IMO

Maybe wave energy on a greater scale or more wind turbines.

Maybe each house will have a small turbine to plug the car into of a nighttime.

zero-emission car,ok if the people you supply the electricity, stopped using fossil fuel

I think the whole enviromental issue is a drive to get away from oil rather than reducing emmissions. At the moment OPEC dictate the price of oil through controlling output. If you look who the members of OPEC are then it's clear some of them aren't exactly friend of the UK and the west.

Guest shark

I think the whole enviromental issue is a drive to get away from oil rather than reducing emmissions. At the moment OPEC dictate the price of oil through controlling output. If you look who the members of OPEC are then it's clear some of them aren't exactly friend of the UK and the west.
totally agree .

Guest shark

if we are all going be driving electrical cars, what's going to happen to the petrol stations a cross Britain,and the thousands off people you work in them .

Guest proud2beaussie

I hate to be a party pooper but until someone comes up with an electric car that can actually go further than about 150km's on a single charge (The LEAF is claimed to have a range of 160 km's) then IMO electric cars will never really succeed,also there is the issue of charging the battery,the batteries in the LEAF will require 8 hours to fully charge which might cause a bit of a problem if you have a late night and don't get home till 3am and then want to go out for a bottle of milk at 8.00.

I personally think bio diesel is the way to go,at least for the near future.

But I agree that it's good economic news for the UK-and let's face it they can do with as much of that as they can get.

BTW the LEAF will be coming to Australia-in 2012.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/38743/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-revealed-coming-to-australia-in-2012

Guest chris955

Yes it is fantastic news for the country, it is something I have been looking at for years. I looked at getting a Prius until I saw the price, what a joke.

It is a zero emissions car, it is irrelevant where and how the electricity is produced, the car produces zero emissions.

160 k's is fine for most people here or the UK, most people we know wouldn't drive that far in an average day, you get home and plug it in. You must remember it is horses for courses, you don't buy one of these to drive from Brisbane to Sydney, they are a town car or commuter car.

I hate to be a party pooper but until someone comes up with an electric car that can actually go further than about 150km's on a single charge (The LEAF is claimed to have a range of 160 km's) then IMO electric cars will never really succeed,also there is the issue of charging the battery,the batteries in the LEAF will require 8 hours to fully charge which might cause a bit of a problem if you have a late night and don't get home till 3am and then want to go out for a bottle of milk at 8.00.

But I agree that it's good economic news for the UK-and let's face it they can do with as much of that as they can get.

2012 Nissan LEAF Revealed, Confirmed For Australia | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

I will certainly look to buying one when it comes, 160 km will do me most of the year.Would still have to check though how the power is generated here.

I will certainly look to buying one when it comes, 160 km will do me most of the year.Would still have to check though how the power is generated here.

Coal - about 80%.

If that hurts too much you could buy a ~15kW wind turbine - it would charge it up overnight (on average) on a reasonably windy site. It will cost the equivalent of ~£45k to buy and maybe half that again to install. It is a turbine with about a 12m blade diameter if memory serves me right. Not small, and a bit noisy. The rest of the day it could heat the pool, or cool the beer, or you could pay for some more kit and generate back into the grid and not have anymore leccy bills.

You'll probably cover your costs over 15 years.:err: But you would feel good.

You must work for a news paper & I think your new handle should be called lets find a negative lol.

The telegraph article says :"Founded in 1984, Nissan's Sunderland factory employs around 4,000 people and built its five millionth vehicle in June 2008."

The news article I heard said that production would start in 3 years and secure hundreds of jobs - so I made an assumption. Some jobs may stay and some may go!!

2012 Nissan LEAF Revealed, Confirmed For Australia | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

I feel Nigel that within another few years we will have cars that will go more on one charge, here is a link on one that will do 200 miles,and with fast charge plug in points around the country it will be more than feasible.

Bio diesel may be OK as you say for the near future, but we should look past this to electric or possibly Nuclear.

Archived