457 - do i need to do tra first?

cazmayo

My brother looking at a 457 sponsorship. does he have to do the tra. he has city and guilds.

we are doing the 176, so doing the tra, but need to clarify if he needs to for a 457.

thanks a million.

caz

No its not a permanent visa

My brother looking at a 457 sponsorship. does he have to do the tra. he has city and guilds.

we are doing the 176, so doing the tra, but need to clarify if he needs to for a 457.

thanks a million.

caz

Assuming your Brother is from the UK he will not require a skills assessment for a 457 visa. Applicants from some countries in some occupation DO require a skills assessment for a 457 visa, as per changes from the 1 July 2009.

Guest Gollywobbler

thanks a million.

caz

Hi Caz

What is your brother's occupation, please? Also, where is he at the moment, how old is he and what are his plans for the future?

Has he secured an employer-sponsor as yet? If so, is this employer in one of the main Cities or in Regional Oz?

The single best piece of advice that I have ever seen on Poms in Oz was the advice that Welshtone (a migration agent) gave to Billy Braveheart - a Bricklayer from Scotland.

Billy was fully qualified but employer-sponsorship was the only option for him because he was already 45. He found an employer-sponsor in Perth Metro, who wanted Billy out in Oz quickly, so a 457 visa was chosen.

Back then (2007) TRA were doing the skills assessment for British brickies. Billy's question was whether to do the TRA or not. Tony told him to do it before he left the UK. Tony said that without the skills assessment, two years would have to elapse before Billy could get an ENS visa for PR. If Billy already had a skills assessment then a PR application could be made very soon after arrival in Oz on the sc 457 visa.

It turned out to be brilliant advice because 11 months after reaching Perth, in July 2008 Billy had a very serious car crash that almost killed him. He was in Intensive Care for a month, during which time 5 operations were performed. He was then in hozzy for a further 2 months before he was well enough to go home.

Because of Tony's advice, Billy's ENS application had been submitted ages before the accident and all the processing had been done. I was waking up daily, expecting that their ENS visa would have been granted - it was literally that close.

Granting the visa then had to be delayed because Billy was the main visa applicant and there was serious doubt about whether he would survive, he was so badly injured. Luckily, Billy did survive and the ENS visa was eventually granted in May 2009.

The family left Oz a few months later - sometime around September 2009. For the moment, back at home with his family around him will be the best place for Billy for the next couple of years. He will be able to get Incapacity Benefit in the UK whilst he recovers from his ordeal fully.

The main thing is that they and the children have Permanent Residency in Oz, so they can now return to Perth at any time during the next 8 years or so. They wouild be able to meet the requirements for a Resident Return visa. Compelling and compassionate circumstances forced Billy to leave Oz for a few years. DIAC know exactly what happened - it is all in their records. They would be very sympathetic and understanding if the family find that they have to spend more than 5 years back in the UK.

If there had been no prospect of PR for Billy by the time of the accident, the family would - in effect - have been forced to return to the UK for good. As it is, they are Permanent Residents of Oz and they can rely on DIAC's sympathy in ffuture years, so they will have a choice about whether or not to return to Oz at some stage.

That flexibility came about solely because of Welshtone's original advice.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

That story is surely food for thought - thankyou.

Brother - Residing in Ireland, Age 34, Single and no dependents, Cabinetmaker, and not working at the moment. Is willing to go anywhere he can get a job. He has been actively sending off CVs and photo portfolio directly to companies of high end cabinetmakers. Hes never been out of work before, and anxious to get going! He is looking at a 457, as that is the fastest way. I will discuss with him doing the TRA now, as its easier to do it now and chasing up refs from this side of the world and the cost of doing the TRA is not prohibitive.

HUBBIE - 40 in april, Residing in Ireland, Married with 3 children.

We were in Perth 10 years ago, on WHV then sponsored for 2 years on a 457, then sponsor retired and we had to come home (against our will!!!). always planned on going back but started a business here in Ireland and times were good. Lost business last year, hubbie working but not happy.

Due to having a family, we dont want to go on a 457 really. Looking at a ENS!! If not then the 176. Very concerned as the new MODL list seems to have removed Cabinetmaker???

Hubbie did an informal apprenticeship and has a Fas completion cert but no trade papers, told this is not enough and he has to do an RPL. Fas say to submit a portfolio of evidence of apprenticeship and work history, then they want him to re-register as an apprentice and go to college full time for 13 weeks, and the only place to do that in Ireland is Cork or Dublin, both 3-5 hours away from home!!! Too far away, and his boss wont let him go for 13 weeks, and what do we live on?? Was tempted to go over on a 457 and do an RPL in Perth and apply for pr independently or ENS.

We have work contacts in Perth who are anxious to help, so there may be a possibility of a sponsor.

Just want to go, but want to be sensible, in my mind its either ENS or 176 really.

thanks for any feedback.

kind regards

caz

Has he secured an employer-sponsor as yet? If so, is this employer in one of the main Cities or in Regional Oz?

I have advised him to include regional towns, Mandurah is considered regional. Also east coast. where would I get a list of what is considered regional? Poor lad just wants to work.

cheers caz

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cazmayo

From your replies, is seems that Hubby and Bro are both Cabinetmakers but that Bro already has paper qualifications for the occupation but Hubby has none?

This response deals with Hubby alone.

Hubbie did an informal apprenticeship and has a Fas completion cert but no trade papers, told this is not enough and he has to do an RPL. Fas say to submit a portfolio of evidence of apprenticeship and work history, then they want him to re-register as an apprentice and go to college full time for 13 weeks, and the only place to do that in Ireland is Cork or Dublin, both 3-5 hours away from home!!! Too far away, and his boss wont let him go for 13 weeks, and what do we live on?? Was tempted to go over on a 457 and do an RPL in Perth and apply for pr independently or ENS.

Hmmmm. The FAS thing does not sound worthwhile to me if Hubby is determined to move out to Oz, though I readily admit that I haven't a clue what FAS is.

Are you aware that Hubby may be able to get the Aussie AQF III qualification via RPL instead? If he can get the AQF III then he can use TRA Pathway E for his skills assessment:

Cabinetmaker 4922-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Trades Recognition Australia - Home

The crucial document is TRA's UAC 2010, which you can download and read via the links below:

Skilled Worker - Important Documents

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/residenceVisa/Documents/UniformCriteria.pdf

I find the Table in S8 of the UAC very useful because the format is clear. S12 is the words for Pathway E. If you don't understand it, shut the door (so that no-one will think you are crazy) and then read the relevant bits of the UAC out loud. It sounds mental but it is an old lawyer's trick and it works. It you read something out loud, you will hear yourself audibly if you do not understand the words properly and so your phrasing is nonsense. Once it starts to make sense, as you read it aloud, so your phrasing and breathing will come right automatically. Trust me, it does work!

You can do an AQF III easily enough at this end of the globe these days, though it is not particularly cheap:

Australian Trade Assessments - Building a Pathway to Australia

Australian Skill Assessments - Building a Pathway to Australia

Click on the various headings and you will get a very clear description of how the RPL process works for the AQF III. Darren Le'ake is the guy to contact at ATA. He is very pleasant and very helpful. If you use Darrn, Hubby might have to come to the UK for the practical part of the AQF III but Darren can discuss the details with you. He defo deals with Cabinetmakers:

https://www.australianskillassessments.com/occupations/cabinet-maker.php

ACTS/Trade Train would charge more but I am 99% sure that they would send the AQF III Assessor to Ireland. (The AQF III Assessor is an Aussie who would probably get legless on Guiness but never mind!)

ACTS UK | Welcome to Trade Train

ACTS UK | Certificate III in Furniture Making (Cabinet Making)

ACTS UK | Contact Us

The first UK mobile number got me through to Peter Hodges last August or so. Peter is an Aussie, extremely nice and he could tell from my voice that I am a woman. I was looking at their ETA (Engineering Trades) site and wanted to know whether - since the website said they would assess Boilermakers - could they assess Welders as well because the PiO member was definite that he is a Welder, not a Boilermaker? Peter laughed, confirmed that they can also help Welders and got the website altered and clarified for the benefit of dumb females asking stupid questions like me! (I phoned Peter myself because I didn't want to say anything to the PiO Welder without being sure that an AQF III for him was definitely a viable idea.)

I'd ring or e-mail them both in order to check prices and where they could each do the practical assessments.

I think that if Hubby could get the AQF III then there would be no point in bothering with the FAS thing?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Cazmayo

It sounds to me as if your Bro may have done a formal or informal apprenticeship, which led to his paper qualifications? If so, he should be focussing on Skill Pathways A or B in TRA's UAC 2010, the words for which are in S9 & 10 of the UAC respectively.

My feeling for Bro is that it is definitely worth his while to get a TRA assessment done before he does anything else. If he gets his TRA without trouble, an employer-sponsor might offer him an ENS visa immediately or after just a very short probabationary period on a sc 457 visa. Plus Bro would also have the potential option of a sc 176 visa as well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thank you so much for your very detailed advice.

will help my brother do the TRA, it done then and all options covered. At least he is here and can chase up certs and refs.

Fas are the trade training body over here in the Republic of Ireland. Its not practical what they are proposing and thus most that require a RPL are getting an Aussie Assessment. Just thought it was worth pursuing, as they said they were overrun with trades wanting RPLs for visas purposes and had reorganised themselves to cater for this - ahhhhhh. Very annoyed at this, as they spent 1 billion on training in this country when there was full employment, yet when we need skills recognised they cant help.

Anyway will forget them, and get onto Darren. Had looked him up some months ago, but a new baby and finances prevented us going ahead at that time.

Have read many of your posts and always thought you were a man for some reason:biggrin: Its funny the image you build up in your head of people online!

Thanks so much for your advice.

Just want to get back to Perth permanently!!!

Happy St Patricks Day.

Kind Regards

Caz

• 9 months later...
Guest littleward

Hello,

hope someone can help me im a gas fitter looking to move to Oz to work i have done an apprentiship and have paper qualifications my main question i sdo i applt to TRA before even loking at visas or applr for visa first? thanks in advance

Phil

Archived