Increased Baggage Allowance?

Guest KerryT

Guest KerryT

Hi,

We've just booked our flights with Singapore Airlines (heading out next month! :biggrin: ) When booking, I asked if we would qualify for an increased baggage allowance as we are migrating. I was advised that if we had an 'unused' migrant visa then we would automatically be entitled to double the allowance.

Does anyone know how they classify 'unused'? Our visa was granted in 2008, so we visited last year for a month's vacation to validate it. Would that count as 'used' or will we get away with it? Has anyone else experienced this scenario??

Thanks!

Guest Aussie and Welshy

You might be out of luck. This was a response I had from Singapore Airlines about a similar query and it does states unvalidated:

Kindly note that passengers who hold unused/unstamped/unvalidated migrant visas that specifically state that they are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely, will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of those visas at check-in. Passengers holding Australian passports, Spouse or Provisional/Temporary Visas, or visas that have already been stamped/validated, will not be eligible for double baggage allowance.

Guest KerryT

Thanks, but oh pants! Perhaps my daughter may get away with it as we've just had to renew her passport, so it has the visa but no actual stamps as yet?! If not, then 20k each is not very much!!

Guest proud2beaussie

You will probably be unlucky as Singapore Airlines can be quite strict about the rules regarding extra baggage allowance,you could try emailing their UK reservations team on

uk_reservations@singaporeair.com.sg ,explain that you were not aware of the rules prior to validating your visa and that you need the extra allowance and they may be lenient and give it to you.

It's worth a try but don't get your hopes up.

Cheers

N'oz

Guest KerryT

N'oz ... brilliant advice - thankyou! I emailed the UK team earlier and they have just responded. They are very clear on their baggage policy and we do not qualify as we have already validated the visa's, however in this instance they have granted us each an additional 5kg allowance. ;-)

Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks for the kind words Kerry,

It's a shame that they didn't give you the double allowance but they can be strict sometimes because extra weight means extra fuel that they have to load so they try and keep the weight down as much as possible and only give extra allowance in certain circumstances but at least they gave you a few kg's extra and hopefully that may help you.

Enjoy your trip,they are an excellent airline and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Cheers

N'oz

Guest proud2beaussie

Generally Etihad do not offer increased allowances for migrating travellers,however their standard allowance is now 30kg's (despite what the website says).

If you wish it would not do any harm to ring them and ask if they will give extra allowance for PR holders.

Reservations and Ticketing: +44 (0) 800 731 9384 (London)

You could also email them using the enquiry form.

Write to us

Archived