Help please guys....

Guest sheila1971

Guest sheila1971

We are considering shipping our Toyota RAV4 out, 2000 plate but very reliable. Cost to get same car in Oz is about £3k more than we would get selling here and replacing.

What we would like to know is........

.....has anyone shipped one of these over and were any modifications needed?

.....any idea of customs and import costs???? :eek:

Thanks in advance. :jiggy:

Guest Chinabird

Hi

We enquired into to taking my mini Cooper s valued at around £12000. It's a 55 plate (2006). The cost was around £6000 including all the taxes you will need to pay and steam cleaning. There is also a possibility that the car would have to be steam cleaned again once docked in Aus at our expense.

We have decided to sell in the Uk and take the money with us. I love my car and don't really want to sell it but I know it's the right decision for us. I can always buy one in Aus.

Hope this helps.

Alison.

There are some really good past threads which outlline in detail the costs and potential pitfalls of importing a car. It comes down to personal preference and circumstances to a large extent, and your apetite for risk.

I am going through a similar exercise at the moment, and have still yet to come to a conclusion...

if the difference is 3k, then personally from all the threads I have read, its not worth it. ( I havent been through it myself, but know a few that have)

Once you have paid shipping, taxes, possible compliance issues, steam cleaning, rego, roadworthy etc etc there wont be much difference, and then you will own a 10 year old grey import that has been through 10 Uk winters as well.

Guest sheila1971

Thanks for replies......having looked at shipping costs etc etc we have (i think!) decided to sell it here and hope to be able to buy something with the money when we get out there.

We are considering shipping our Toyota RAV4 out, 2000 plate but very reliable. Cost to get same car in Oz is about £3k more than we would get selling here and replacing.

What we would like to know is........

.....has anyone shipped one of these over and were any modifications needed?

.....any idea of customs and import costs???? :eek:

Thanks in advance. :jiggy:

Its not worth taking over any Japanese vehicle as they are more common in Oz than in the UK, Toyota is a major brand and you should have a very large choice of vehicles when you get there.

Hi

We enquired into to taking my mini Cooper s valued at around £12000. It's a 55 plate (2006). The cost was around £6000 including all the taxes you will need to pay and steam cleaning. There is also a possibility that the car would have to be steam cleaned again once docked in Aus at our expense.

We have decided to sell in the Uk and take the money with us. I love my car and don't really want to sell it but I know it's the right decision for us. I can always buy one in Aus.

Hope this helps.

Alison.

Your estimate of £6000 seems excessive to say the least, you would be looking at approx £1500 max for shipping, the import tax would be about £700 and about $1000 to get it on the road, if it has to be cleaned the max charge for this would be about $300. A mini is a good candidate for taking with you (as long as it has aircon) and you should look into it a bit more before writing the idea off.

If you struggle to find info, post again and I will give you a few links to read.

Archived