Anyone living in London-applying for Defacto Spouse Visa to go back to Oz?

Guest Sammy G

Guest Sammy G

Morning All,

Is there anyone living in London that is applying for a De-facto Visa to go to Oz with a partner/wife/husband? We are currently applying for it, boyf is aussie, I'm English. Chris is literally about ready to go back to Sydney whilst I wait here to see what the outcome is for our visa. Its quite a lonely time, no one really understands what I'm going through and what lays ahead. I was really wondering if anyone wanted to meet for a drink/coffee and talk it through together!

Sammy :goofy:

Hi Sammy G,

Havent you posted this similar post on the site before ???Sammy G vbmenu_register("postmenu_99561", true);

De-facto Spouse

Hey everyone,

I've just started the first steps in applying for De-facto spouse visa, I'm English and my boyfriend is Aussie. Does anyone have a time frame of how long it could take for the visa to come through after its been lodged? I know it depends on your case and circumstances but just wondering what other people's experiences are?

I don't know what I'd do without this site! Its so helpful and comforting.

Thanks in advance,

Sammy :wacko:

Guest Sammy G

Hi,

Kind of, this is more if anyone is interested in meeting up though as I know the procedures now and the visa is almost in!

Guest Taz01

Hi Sammy,

I'm Aussie and my partner is English and he's going on the de-facto visa. We put the application in at the end of April and are just waiting for the police check to come back. We live down in Fareham, nr Portsmouth. There doesn't seem to be that many of us doing the de-facto thing! I don't really go to London at all, but if you want to email or chat then let me know; I know the feeling about no-one understanding what you're going through. I am so stressed about whether the visa will be approved (although there's no reason it won't be!) Its making our relationship really hard at the moment, because we don't want to plan for our future until we know the visa is sorted. I'm staying in the UK until we know, as if there are any complications my partner won't deal with it very well. It was hard enough getting him to fill out the forms in the first place!

Eva

:jiggy:

Guest Abi&Dan

I know what you mean Eva, my OH thinks discussing something half an hour before it's due to happen constitutes as planning!!

I'm a citizen so we'll be going down the spouse's route next year (though I'll probably be filling all the forms in!!) Getting my first Oz passport in 2 weeks - very excited :jiggy:

Up in York Sammy - but always happy to chat online (I will drink though if it makes it better :spinny: - it usually does for me lol)

Guest Sammy G

Hi Eva,

Thanks for replying. Its a shame your not living any closer! It would nice to have someone to chat with over a coffee. My friends are supportive but in a kind of 'what are we doing for your leaving do' kind of questioning as opposed to reasurrance. Its like my whole life is on hold and I can't settle anywhere. Chris (My boyf) is an Aussie through and through and cannot hack the pace of London, I don't blame him but our options are that, if I don't settle again (I've lived there before) then thats it for us. I wish sometimes my life was far more simple and I didn't have this looming but I think I just seek out these adventures!

We found the visa application relatively ok, we had a few strained words but I think thats expected. Sometimes I get annoyed with him when he say's 'I thought you'd done that last week' and I think for gods sake man, I've done all sorts for this bloody visa-help me out! Its the first thing in life I've ever been really organised for-I guess this demonstrates my commitment and dedication.

I'm excited about the future, I know that Chris is the man for me. I just wish sometimes I didn't have to forfeit my entire family and friends for him. I know I know, its not like anyone's going anywhere but its tough.

Sorry for venting so much!

Where in Oz will you be going back to?

Sammy x

Guest Taz01

Hi Sammy,

I know exactly how you're feeling! It really is hard. Its not like you're just moving, it's your heart that would be broken as well if it all goes wrong. I'm so desperate to move home and I've put my boyfriend in a really tough position; basically he moves with me or that is it. I think I'm more stressed than him though as I really don't want that to happen but I've actually struggled to settle in the UK- I've been here 7 years! I'm moving back to Tassie, but if that's too quiet, we might move to the mainland somewhere; not a city though. I'd probably go up near Byron Bay or Newcastle.

A lot of people don't understand how hard it is; not doing the visa itself- thats pretty easy- but when the visa is based on a relationship, it is your whole life. My friends don't really understand and I know Dave's don't; although I don't know if he talks to them about it! We've had a few massive bust-ups about it because he will be leaving everyone. I will miss people here, but at the end of the day its a flight away, and your friends will love having a holiday in Oz!

The hardest thing about settling is finding a support network; that's what makes people feel at home. It will be hard if your friends and family are still in the UK but you will make more friends out there and sometimes you just have to take chances!

If you're ever down this way, let me know and we can meet up for a coffee. If not; maybe we can meet in Oz! I have family in Sydney, Brisbane, Tassie and Townsville.

Eva x

:spinny:

Hi guys,

Slightly different for us but I can understand where you are coming from. My husband is an aussie and I will be applying for the spouse visa, we have just received our childrens certificates for citizenship by descent and OH applied online for their passports last night, so that just leaves me.

I will be starting the process in the next month or so but it is a big deal, my hubbie is being pretty good with paperwork so far but I think he's just so shocked and pleased because I have finally said I will give it a go.:spinny:

Wendy

Guest Sammy G

Eva,

Oh my god, my time on pio has totally paid off by just a few emails! Its so refreshing to hear from someone who is in the exact same position. It is a shame were not closer! But your suggestion to meet in Oz sounds great. I'll be in Sydney so lets keep in touch via here and maybe one day we can be comparing our tales over a vino down by the Opera House.

Its going to be a tough one this weekend, we head to my home town where Chris shall bid farewell to my family. Its really bizarre and it all feels so final. Sometimes I wish we had a 'normal' relationship and lived half hour down the road from my folks-none of this relocation to half way across the world and complicated implications. Oh well, like I said in Previous email, I'm sure I love these twisted scenario's!

I'm quite close to Chris's family which is nice and I have two very good friends already in Australia. I think the toughest day's will be simply- I want my mum. I'm sure everyone can understand that feeling. But I've done it before, having done my working holiday visa for a year in Oz. Your right, chances like this don't come along everyday and I think sometimes you get most out of life by stepping out of your comfort zone. When I left for my world travel, I will never forget a card my brothers's girlfriend gave me, it had a picture of a baby holding its breath under water-(bear with me!) It said 'Take a deep breath and take the plunge'.. something like that.. I always remember that when everything seems hard.

Anyway, I best get on with some work but everyone keep in touch with your experiences-and invest some time in this website. It has helped me so much.

Sammy x

Guest Sammy G

Eva,

Oh my god, my time on pio has totally paid off by just a few emails! Its so refreshing to hear from someone who is in the exact same position. It is a shame were not closer! But your suggestion to meet in Oz sounds great. I'll be in Sydney so lets keep in touch via here and maybe one day we can be comparing our tales over a vino down by the Opera House.

Its going to be a tough one this weekend, we head to my home town where Chris shall bid farewell to my family. Its really bizarre and it all feels so final. Sometimes I wish we had a 'normal' relationship and lived half hour down the road from my folks-none of this relocation to half way across the world and complicated implications. Oh well, like I said in Previous email, I'm sure I love these twisted scenario's!

I'm quite close to Chris's family which is nice and I have two very good friends already in Australia. I think the toughest day's will be simply- I want my mum. I'm sure everyone can understand that feeling. But I've done it before, having done my working holiday visa for a year in Oz. Your right, chances like this don't come along everyday and I think sometimes you get most out of life by stepping out of your comfort zone. When I left for my world travel, I will never forget a card my brothers's girlfriend gave me, it had a picture of a baby holding its breath under water-(bear with me!) It said 'Take a deep breath and take the plunge'.. something like that.. I always remember that quote when everything seems hard.

Anyway, I best get on with some work but everyone keep in touch with your experiences-and invest some time in this website. It has helped me so much.

Sammy x:cute:

Guest Taz01

I have to say that being away from family is really hard, but they are always there on the end of the phone if you need them! I can't count the number of times I rang my mum when she was asleep... But on the other side of it, my sister lives half an hour from our parents and sometimes she goes for months without seeing them, just because she is really busy. Geographical distance is just that; and the time difference does make it harder, but there is still the phone and email and texting.... I'm actually closer to my sisters now than I was when I lived at home!

I keep wondering how my OH will settle in. He is really good at making friends and got on really well with my family and friends when we visited last year, but I am really dreading him saying goodbye to people here. I keep telling him that we will be coming back to the UK to visit people anyway and I hope his friends come to visit us. You just have to remember that it is just a flight away- It can take longer to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne!

It took me ages to get paperwork together for the visa- my OH hates paperwork and forms, so I basically did the lot for him. It took him just as long to fill out his forms though! I told him I would do it for him, but then he'd have to tick the box to say he needed help. He didn't like that idea at all! I found the immi.gov website so helpful. I just read everything there was about it and followed the checklists. It was all pretty simple in the end; even the medicals went smoothly. We're still waiting for the police check though- we applied last year and because it took so long to get the application in it was over six months old and they wanted a new one!

If you get everything done upfront though it shouldn't be long wait. We had acknowledgement a couple of days after we sent it and the request for the medicals and pnc a week later.

This might sound really stupid; but I'm just as nervous about moving back to Oz as people going there for the first time. I've never lived as an adult in Oz and never had a real job there. I left straight after college to come to the UK. I just think though, the more you share your fears and concerns the better you feel, becuase there is always someone who feels the same!

Keep in touch,

Eva x

:jiggy:

Archived