6 months in Melbourne

theonetruechris

Well 6 months in all I can say is what a rollercoaster. We turned up on a drizzly September morning all I could think was what the f*?/ have I done, drove through some seriously depressing suburbs to a holiday let in Highett, it all kind of fell apart after that. My job was to settle our son for the first few months and let the wife get settled in work. To cut a long story short I couldn't hack being out of work, I couldn't understand or modify my sons behaviour (adjusting to massive upheaval) everything seemed to cost loads things were not straightforward (transferring money, getting rentals etc.) and it didn't feel like halfway across the world. I think my feelings of inadequacy began to affect my relationship as at least every day I wanted to up sticks and 'go home'. Anyhoo after over 100 applications and 2 interviews job was procured (walked out of interview thinking no way have I got it) cue happy bunny and I've finally allowed myself to start falling in love with Melbourne - Its ace it is. and this was only a month before my cut off from if I don't get a job we'll have to go home.

The moral of the story don't think it'll just be ok, prepare for the worst and you might have get through it unscathed and it isn't just missing family that can be the trigger. oh and just keep talking.

The other moral is who'd have thought I'd be all about needing a job.

Oh and good things can happen!!!!!

Guest juliemtaylor

hope things start to be better and better now for you. We have just moved to Mornington a week ago and love it here already, but have loads of hurdles to overcome, but I guess it will come right.

Julie x

Guest proud2beaussie

Great post Chris,thank you,it sounds like things are starting to work out for you,we all hope it continues for you and your new job works out well for you,you have made a very big move packing up and moving to the other side of the world and you deserve congratulations for it.

Here's to a good 2010 for you,it's started well,I really hope it continues for you.

Best of luck mate.

cheers

Oh and BTW,Julie,don't worry,it will work out for you,I'm sure.stay positive.

wierd rollercoaster hey, i remember writing on the calender after 7 weeks for sept BOOK FLIGHTS HOME!!! ..... getting there though i will never underestimate when people say it just hits you the whole thing , and how its gets you down , onwards and upwards .. been here 1 year today , struth its flown and have we done a lot in that time . all the very best for the rest!

I think it takes 6 months to begin to feel settled, i was terrible for ages when we got here, and i wanted to jump on the next plane. For some people everything falls into place, for others it is a struggle.

Best of luck with everything

Tania x

Guest Letasha

Thats great news your settling in. I wish you and your family lots of happiness in your new lives long may it continue x

Glad things are starting to settle.

I guess it depends on our nature how we handle things, personality etc.

So knowing what we are like is very important to be able to handle new stuff.

I have friends who always turn up late, always running for the plane etc when they could no worries. We are always on time, always have to be all sorted etc so if we were to go somewhere new now, we would want it all sorted straight away and of course that is an impossible task when moving countries, towns or just a new house and area.

Being all sorted comes from being a child of parents who upped and moved around the world at will just arriving and finding somewhere to live and getting a job no worries but made me a worrier.

Guest ashmalog

Glad you found ur way now. we have been here 4mths and loved every day of every minute. we are in melbourne too. x

:err:Whats that, we might just settle down somewhere? Lay some routes n all that. Make an attempt to have some stability in our lives, slow down the rollercoaster?

Hope this happiness continues. It suits you. Love you.xxxx:wubclub:

Hi. I have just joined the site. I have been offered a sponsership in Australia and I really want to accept. However I am 41,single and no children. Do you think that it is too big a jump?

sounds like a perfect combination:biggrin:a few folk at work did it on their own.

practically speaking, if you like your own company and exploring on your own you'll be fine. soon enough you'll meet people, but be prepared to have time alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived