2 year study requirement - for a phd student in his 3rd year

Guest tanvir1667

Guest tanvir1667

Hi,

I am a postgrad research student of IT studying at a recognized Australian university. This is a 3-year course and contains 100% research with no coursework. I have taken the points test on immi.gov.au for GSM visa subclass 176. I pass the test with 110 points considering I have fulfilled the 2-year Australian study requirement and could avail a state sponsor.

Can anyone advise, whether I can apply for GSM 176 visa after the completion of my 2nd year? Note that at that time I won't be receiving any degree/certificate for the course. However, possibly I will be able to collect official evidence of 2-year PhD study.

Thanks,

--- Tanvir

• 1 month later...

Hi Tanvir,

My husband is also doing his PhD, he is on 5th year (due to couple of unfortunate things happened). Just curious if you found some info in regards to your question? That would help us also.

Thanks

Ida

Guest tanvir1667

Hi Ida,

As you see, I got no reply on this tread. However, though I am not the direct witness, but I heard from one of my close friends to hear from some immigration campaign that - to be eligible of getting points from the 2-year study requirement one has to show the certificate of the respective degree. In other words, the course being undertaken should have been completed.

This means, for my case I can't apply at the moment. Though I have completed 2 years of study, I haven't been awarded any degree yet.

Regards,

--- Tanvir

When we first arrived we thought 3.5 years would be too long to wait, it has been 5 years since and we are still not close to applying. I am wishing you all the luck finishing your PhD soon.

Cheers

Ida

Guest CrossforGood

hi, tavir1667, as far as know, the points for your two-year study cannot be claimed until the completion of your phd.since they will ask you for a completion letter and degree certificate from your school. if it is not completed, these two stuff cannot be acquired, which also means you are not phd yet; it only means you are just studying for your phd,right? hope this would give you some help.

Guest tanvir1667
hi, tavir1667, as far as know, the points for your two-year study cannot be claimed until the completion of your phd.since they will ask you for a completion letter and degree certificate from your school. if it is not completed, these two stuff cannot be acquired, which also means you are not phd yet; it only means you are just studying for your phd,right? hope this would give you some help.

Thanks CrossforGood for reconfirming my understanding. And you're right - I'm not a PhD yet. It will require at least another one-and-half year to receive the certificate.

Archived