what would be the average wage WA?

cobbler

I have a job offer, a pay package & 457 sponsorship possible, with a company in wembley, Perth (North of the river), But I think the hourly rate is very low. So what would be an acceptable hourly rate of pay for a semi skilled worker in this area? I need some info because the employer is expecting me to reply to his pay offer & I need my facts right before contact is made.

Thanks

cobbler

I have a job offer, a pay package & 457 sponsorship possible, with a company in wembley, Perth (North of the river), But I think the hourly rate is very low. So what would be an acceptable hourly rate of pay for a semi skilled worker in this area? I need some info because the employer is expecting me to reply to his pay offer & I need my facts right before contact is made.

Thanks

cobbler

how did you manage to get a sponsor what is it that you do

Thanks

cobbler

Cant be that low mate there is aminimum they can pay you on the 457 think tis mid 50`s k and that is not low

The minimum wage is what is on offer, but like I say it is a semi skilled job & I hear domestic cleaners are on that wage (no disrespect to cleaners) also the employer tells me that the area is comparable to london to live. I see $$$ high cost of living in that statement. House prices even to rent would take a huge chunk off the wage. For a family of 5 to live.

The minimum wage is what is on offer, but like I say it is a semi skilled job & I hear domestic cleaners are on that wage (no disrespect to cleaners) also the employer tells me that the area is comparable to london to live. I see $$$ high cost of living in that statement. House prices even to rent would take a huge chunk off the wage. For a family of 5 to live.

WEmbley is no like London mate , perth can be a bit dear but you commute like most do unskilled their are $17 to 18 an hour jobs , i`m on$21 bit crap but think its about 44k whick is about 24 an hour not that bad to get a foot in the door

Sorry, but why would you be emmigrating a family of 5 on the will of a minimum wage?

hi cobbler ...what exactly is it you do ??? ....im a cleaner and i get $30 an hour ....more than my o/h ...but then i do worker harder than him :wink:

mrs keily

Guest guest17301
From your post I have assumed that you are planning to emmigrate to australia on the promise of a minimum wage position with the intention of supporting a family of 5?

Let me know if I am incorrect in my assumption?

...and what's wrong with that? The poster is trying to get some feedback on if it's possible or not..a reasonable question I would say...

...and what's wrong with that? The poster is trying to get some feedback on if it's possible or not..a reasonable question I would say...

If the question was reasonable I would say no, I have had too many friends expect australia to provide them with something that england couldnt!

And in my opinion and thats all it is, I would not suggest to bring your family of 5 to a foreign country on a temporary visa, earning the minimum wage which to me would be nigh short of asylum (although in England I would probaby suggest it).

You will be at the beck and call of your employer, if u are unfortunate enough to lose your job you have 28 days to find another or you have to go back.

If that is an acceptable risk then go for it, but I dont think I would be dragging my family to the other side of the world with that amount of pressure on me.

Someone else may have a different experience.

Guest guest17301

Yeah me. I did it and now we're doing fine and permanent residents. Ok not quite min wage but not far off what the poster says his hourly rate will be. I got loads of ridicule too...it's all about being resourceful and wanting it badly enough. Oh...and your expectations and standards...

Yeah me. I did it and now we're doing fine and permanent residents. Ok not quite min wage but not far off what the poster says his hourly rate will be. I got loads of ridicule too...it's all about being resourceful and wanting it badly enough. Oh...and your expectations and standards...

I think you confusing ridicule with sense!

Guest guest17301
I think you confusing ridicule with sense!

Didn't you bring $50k over and spend it on car and house stuff? If I had brought that amount with me I'd still have some left over...like I said...expectations and standards. I bought less than $5k

Didn't you bring $50k over and spend it on car and house stuff? If I had brought that amount with me I'd still have some left over...like I said...expectations and standards. I bought less than $5k

If you want to be philospophical.....

We worked for 7 years to emmigrate, which involved a masters degree, 2 years of contracting, a degree in project management and I effing earned it.

Who the eff are you to question me!

I have bought some land and are building a house and I work hard every day to be able to do that, I didnt come here with 5k as I knew I had to work harder.

Bring it on!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I think that some of this thread is a bit confused.

My sister has lived in Perth for donkey's years (since 1979 to be exact.) She says that domestic cleaners in Perth get $25 an hour just for cleaning other people's houses for them.

Effectively a cleaning lady is an unskilled domestic servant within ASCO Group 9. I can only think that the reason why a cleaner gets so much is because Perth doesn't have a "servant culture" so I would guess that the attitude of the ladies who live in Perth would be, "Pay me $25 an hour or your house can remain dirty for all that I care."

Cobbler is not "semi-skilled." He is fully-skilled and has 20 years' experience behind him. He is a Shoemaker / Shoe Repairer as his user-name implies. This occupation is a fully-skilled trade within ASCO Group 4 and it is on the current SOL. It is below:

Shoemaker 4943-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

However, it is not possible to obtain formal NVQ-type qualifications in the UK for this occupation. Here in the UK, Cobblers are in the same boat as Locksmiths and Butchers. There simply are no formal qualifications that any of them can do.

They have exactly the same problem in Australia, where nobody will assess them for the AQF III qualification either.

The upshot is that employer-sponsorship is the only way forward for any of these three groups of skilled workers if they wish to migrate to Australia.

If Cobbler's prospective employer were based in a town like Geraldton, Cobbler could insist on an RSMS visa immediately. It would probably be possible to argue "exceptional circumstances" in his case simply because the occupation is so unusual, just as it is for Butchers and Locksmiths.

However as luck would have it, the employer who is willing to offer Cobbler a job and an employer sponsored visa is based in the middle of Perth Metro. It has proved to be impossible for Cobbler to obtain any formal qualifications, therefore it is also impossible for him to obtain a pre-migration skills assessment from TRA as well.

The above being the facts, the only way that Cobbler and his prospective employer can move forward is if the employer sponsors Cobbler for a temporary 457 visa for not less than 2 years. After 2 years the employer would then be able to sponsor Cobbler and his family for an ENS 856 visa (the onshore version) which would give the family Permanent Residency in Oz.

I've been trying to help Cobbler to sort out some of the details of the whole thing, such as suggesting the names of suburbs NOR in Perth, checking Transperth and Google Maps for the public transport from the various suburbs to Wembley and back etc. I have PMd some PiO friends who know that part of Perth, which I don't but hopefully they will be able to come up with some suggestions about suburbs to live in etc.

Turning to the 457 visa itself, Yorkshire Pom is partly correct. The visa does now say that a migrant who holds a 457 visa must be paid not less than the "Market Rate" for the job - which is set by statute at not less than $45,220 per year.

However, the DIAC website makes it clear that it is not enough for the Aussie employer simply to offer $45,220 pa or above. The website says that if the true "market rate" for a Cobbler is actually only $35,000 a year then there will be no visa. I have no idea why DIAC/the Minister have decided to slam such a door in the faces of both the Aussie employer and the highly skilled migrant worker, but slam the door in this strange way is exactly what they seem to have decided to do:

Subclass 457 – Market Salary Rates

I have come across exactly the same problem with a Hairdresser on PiO. She was offered an employer-sponsored job plus visa in the Perth CBD. However the employer baulked when he heard that the Market Rate is $45,220 according to DIAC. He said that he does not pay the other stylists in his salon as much as $45,220 a year, was not prepared to pay the British Hairdresser more than the other stylists and apparently the Market Rate for a Hairdresser in central Perth is closer to $39,000. According to the DIAC website, DIAC would reject the nomination for a 457 visa in this situation.

So in a way, I am trying to wrestle with that problem whilst Cobbler worries about whether he, his wife and three children of under 12 years old could actually live on about $50,000 or so a year - BEFORE tax and other deductions - somewhere NOR in Perth, which seems to be the very rough value of the overall package on offer?

Cobbler and I worked out that nobody on PiO is likely to know what the "going rate" is for a cobbler in Perth. However lots of the members live in Perth and so they do know roughly how much Cobbler would collect every week, after taxes etc, and whether a family of 5 could live on the net amount in Perth, please?

I've scouted around with property rentals in some of the suburbs NOR. I suspect that to be comfortable, a family of 5 would really need to rent a 4 x 2 house. The rents seem to be about $450 per week wherever you look? Is this right or am I looking in the wrong suburbs, please?

What would the average weekly grocery bill be for a family of 5 in Perth Metro, please?

If Mrs Cobbler were to work full time as well, (a) what is the rough cost of child-care per hour; and (b) how difficult is it to access child-care, please?

According to the Transperth website, the trains from the Northern suburbs and the buses closer to Wembley both seem to be fairly frequent and fast? Is this true or is the Transperth website a work of fiction, please?

I think that in Perth, the State schools charge about $300 per child per year for stuff like stationery? Again, is this right or is my estimate too low, please?

Can anybody give us some ball-park figures about the likely costs of rates, water rates. electricity and gas for anywhere NOR in Perth, please?

Rough figures will do. If Cobbler were going to be taking home £100K a year AUD, we would all howl, "Go for it! You'll be fine on that sort of money." For roughly half of that amount gross, I think the whole thing needs looking into very carefully.

ANY help at all would be more than gratefully received.

Many thanks :notworthy:

Gill

Guest guest17301

Hi Gill,

I'll gladly PM Cobbler with some of my costs when I get in from work tomorrow, right now I'm off to bed. I'm confident that it can be done but like I've always stressed, it depends very much on what you want, need and expect. You can rent a 4 bedroomed house for $350 a week in some of the less desirable spots or even just the way out of town spots. We survived on $55k for over 6 months with no real savings to back us up. Extremely tough but we managed. It depends what you are prepared to accept in order to get a foot in the door here I suppose.

PS..your research is more or less spot on.

Hope you enjoy your sleep and as you have dragged me down to your level:-

Didn't you bring $50k over and spend it on car and house stuff?

We earn 250k a year which we have worked for so we do have a 'little' left, plenty, now go to bed!

(Dont bring up someone elses previous unless it is called for)

Archived